Just home from Santo Tomas

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santo Tomas resort.
ginandtonic
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Just home from Santo Tomas

Post by ginandtonic » July 21st, 2011, 4:22 pm

Arrived back after two week at the Vistamar apartments. They are starting to look a wee bit tired (the one we had was anyway, although many are private so they will be different), but the view from the balconies are fabulous. Weather was good, cloud some mornings clearing away, although Tuesday and Wednesday past were dull with some resorts experiencing heavy showers. Car hired from Owners Cars (situated beside Hamilton Court Apartments) - 206 euros for one week. There seemed to be plenty cars available this year and I assume this is because residents in the resort on the AI basis are not considering leaving their hotel. It's a shame as the island has so many things to see. The beach directly in front of the Vistamar has gone, well the sand has anyway, just stones, and the beach stretching from the Malibu Bar along to Es Pins has become really busy with the Italians from the two Italian all inclusive hotels. Speaking of which, I honestly believe the hotel (Italian) behind Es Pins is ruining the resort. They are playing music morning and night at a volume which is unbelievable. We literally couldn't hear ourselves talk as we walked by. Es Pins has made a lovely 'adult only' seating area at one end of the bar which is very relaxing with soft lighting and comfy seating but is absolutely ruined by the music coming from behind. I cant actually understand why something is not being done about it. The supermarkets in resort are obviously more expensive as others in towns so we did a 'big' shop in Cuitadella stocking up on things we could stick into the freezer. Corn fed chicken is delicious, pork fillet and lovely fish and prawns. Wine really can be a bargain (even in Santo Tomas) and we were picking up bottles for 2.20 euros and it was extremely drinkable. If you shop around (dont go for British brands) it really can be as cheap as you like. It certainly is going to be expensive if you are looking to eat out every day, but then it would be too it you were to do that at home. We loved sitting watching the sun go down enjoying a nice meal and a bottle of wine on the balcony. Bliss! Obviously because of the All Inclusives, the bars and restaurants are quiet and need the support of the tourists. It's their livilehood and we did hear Halley's Bar may not open next season if things did not pick up. Don Tomas restaurant at the Vistamar is excellent. Mario has taken over at the helm and we heard that he too would revalue at the end of season. The' Hake a la Vasca here is excellent and the lamb was great too. C'an Berto does delicious steaks on a sizzling platter and also enjoyed was the beef wellington. On a Tuesday evening they offer a free bottle of house wine. (This wont automatically be offered so just ask) And very good it was too. One waiter was very efficient but lacked a wee bit in people skills, perhaps. Give him a chance (a few people found him rude). Es Pins was our favourite place for a long lunch with tapas style dishes to share and a chilled rosada. (We missed Chema the waiter this year, as he is now working on the mainland). A not so enjoyable eating experience was Cala Mitjana in Cala Galdana. This was a return visit having thoroughly enjoyed it last year. Maybe we were unlucky but found it overrated, food look warm with more emphasis, I felt, spend on presentation that food standard. We went to Club Nautico at Binisifau for lunch and this was excellent. It looks nothing from the outside, situated in a row of boat houses overlooking the sea, but the place is deceiving, as most of the tables had been booked! Full of locals which speaks for itself. Es Castell is lovely in the evening for a meal as it starts to get dark. Plenty craft stalls and opportunities to just sit and people watch. We also had a lovely menu del dia for lunch at Fornells, again you have to ask for this as its not always offered to you with the main menu. Another lovely place is Restaurant Alcalde in Arenal d'en Castell, and if you dont want to sit in the restaurant overlooing the sweeping bay, they have a seating area outside at the front with lovely soft comfy seat where you can enjoy a baguette with a beer or wine!! All in all a brilliant holiday once again in Santo Tomas. We always say we need to try somewhere different but something draws us back. From a selfish point of view I really wish there were no All Inclusive hotels at all in this lovely little resort.

SusieH

Re: Just home from Santo Tomas

Post by SusieH » July 21st, 2011, 7:15 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write a great report :razz: :razz: :razz:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » July 21st, 2011, 7:23 pm

I've never stayed in Santo Tomas. You've made it sound lovely (apart from the music from the hotel). That would drive me crazy, I can't stand listening to other people's noise.

Great report.

Groovybugga
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Groovybugga » July 21st, 2011, 8:32 pm

great report, we love santo tomas. A villa there will be mine when my numbers come up on the lottery
Cala n Bosch June 2008

Santo Tomas August 2008

Cala n Forcat June 2009

Cala n Forcat June 2010

Cala n Bosch June 2011

Cala n forcat June 2011

Arenal Den Castell June 2012

Arenal Den Castell July 2013

Cala n Forcat July 2014

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » July 21st, 2011, 9:23 pm

An excellent report on your holiday at ST. :supz: Miss my favourite area a lot.
Glad you enjoyed your break and no doubt thinking of next year :finga: :finga:

Alan
:cool:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » July 22nd, 2011, 2:35 pm

:supz: Well done ginandtonic, a great review of your holiday, many thanks :razz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » July 23rd, 2011, 8:22 am

Yes well done excellent review :grin: