Anything New For 2012

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santo Tomas resort.
thegunns
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Anything New For 2012

Post by thegunns » March 3rd, 2012, 3:16 pm

We are returning to beautiful Santo Tomas in July for the third time, our last visit to Menorca was to Cala n Forcat in 2009. Are there any changes to Santo Tomas for the 2012 season.

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Anything New For 2012

Post by watta » March 3rd, 2012, 5:20 pm

:welcome: to the site thegunns. :finga: :finga:
Hope you enjoy and participating in the number ONE site on the WEB. :supz: :supz:

I have been a regular to ST over the years, but as the season is not due to open until April/May, I will send an email to my contacts over there this now and check to find out any changes. Will keep you posted within the next couple of days, so keep on checking. :supz: :supz:

Alan
:cool:

patti
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by patti » March 4th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Had some photos sent to me last week - the sand is back in abundance at the moment :grin: :grin:

From what we could see,deeper beaches and more sand than we have seen in the last 15 plus years.

Even the slipway is under sand,the beach starts halfway down the slope, and continues for some way out.

One good storm from the south will alter this of course,but it looks good all the way along to Binigaus at the moment.

Santo T.fan
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Santo T.fan » May 7th, 2012, 10:17 am

Any updates on the "sand situation" ? Have any spring storms swept any away ?

Coming back myself in July - cannot wait :-)
Older these days but still no wiser.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » May 7th, 2012, 2:34 pm

There have not been any major storms for a few months so the beaches are looking good :razz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » May 7th, 2012, 6:42 pm

We were there in late March into April and at the start of that period, all the beaches (Santo Tomas, San Adeodato, the stretch between Es Bruc and Binigaus main beach, Binigaus itself and even the stretch below the cliffs west of Binigaus were the widest we have ever seen them. Unfortunately some stormy weather in April seemed to reduce the amount of sand considerably by the time we left on 20th April. Still better than a couple of years ago, and hopefully they will recover again before summer. Not much change in ST as far as we could see, or in Es Migjorn except that S'Engolidor restaurant is under new management.
Looking forward to 6 weeks on the island in June/July!!!

Santo T.fan
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Santo T.fan » May 9th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Magpie
Re
"Not much change in ST as far as we could see, or in Es Migjorn except that S'Engolidor restaurant is under new management.Looking forward to 6 weeks on the island in June/July!!! "

Can I ask when S'engolidor changed hands and is it still as nice ? We always like to go once during a stay on the island but if it is now an unknown quantity I may wait and look out for reviews before going again. We are also staying in Santo Tomas in July - if you've been there under the new management early on in your stay I may be looking for an opinion... Is Ca Na Pilar still under the same management ?

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » May 10th, 2012, 7:09 pm

The restaurant is still much the same as before, keeping its local ambience. The menu has most of the old favourites with a few nice additions and prices do not seem to have changed significantly. We went twice while we were there and enjoyed it. The owner, Jose Luis, has not actually sold the premises but has leased the business to a couple of locals who live in the village and are conscious of the traditions of the restaurant. Pere who manages it used to be in management with SET hotels so knows his stuff and is a delightful guy. Clara is still waiting on tables. The intention is to open on lunchtimes at weekends as well as the evenings, which is a new departure.
Try looking at the new website (just google S'Engolidor) which should be up and running by now.
C'an Pilar was open in April and I'm pretty sure is still under the same management.
Try the restaurants and others while you are there - they need the business with the mushrooming of the dreaded AI in ST.
Enjoy!!!!!

Santo T.fan
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Santo T.fan » May 13th, 2012, 3:33 pm

I remember Pere Seles - he used to part of the SETH Hotel Santo Tomas team but then after Alessandra Mosca left he ended up responsible for Mestral & Llebeig! We are not staying at Mestral & Llebeig this year for the first time in 10 years, partly because there are only two of us this time around, but mostly because I am not keen on the All Inclusive changes - we tried it ( still on a self catering basis I hasten to add) last year to see if it had changed the place too much but although the Llebeig side seemed pretty much as before visually , the feel of the place was different, the clientel seemed more boisterous and poor old Nico on the Mestral Pool Bar was run off his feet and hardly had time to breath let along chat to the regulars - none of the staff seemed as happy as they had been before which is a shame. We are staying in the Sol this year and I doubt will go to Mestral again unless we got such a good deal we could use it as a base to do our own thing and ignore the All Incl side completely.