What happened to the beach

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santo Tomas resort.
sstowe
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

What happened to the beach

Post by sstowe » May 15th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Stayed in Santo Tomas last September and for the first time in ten years the water covered the beach right up to the stones fron the Sol Beach house up to Es Bruc.
Was this just a very high tide and has the beach returned to normal this year?

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: What happened to the beach

Post by Sue Adderley » May 16th, 2016, 12:11 am

Hi

I wouldn't think it would be anything to do with high tide, as the Med isn't really tidal, as essentially it's just a big lake.

However, storms throughout the year (particularly in winter) can cause waves to wash away sand on the beaches, exposing the coral below, which means that the sea travels further up the beach. There is also a meteorological phenomenon called the Rissaga, which swings sea level in harbours, coves and bays. It is caused by weather conditions such as strong winds in the troposphere, warm air at low levels of the atmosphere and weak or moderate on the surface, which causes a rise and sudden drop in the sea level in a very short time (minutes or even seconds). When they are very intense they often produce flooding in Ciutadella harbour, and damage to boats, but I'm not sure the Rissaga would be responsible for the loss of sand at Santo Tomas.

On natural beaches, such as Son Bou, the sand erosion can run in cycles over the years, and eventually the sand gradually gets replaced with new sand being washed up onto the beach. But, I'm not sure how it would work in Santo Tomas, as I'm sure I remember someone telling me that part of the beach is man-made (or perhaps I dreamt that).

We haven't visited the resort yet this year, so I'm afraid someone else will have to answer your question about whether the sand has been replaced. But, as far as I'm aware, they usually let nature take its course and it may take a good few months/years to go back to how it was.

Sue :toasting:

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » May 16th, 2016, 3:10 am

Hi, and as Sue had mentioned with the storms. Santo Tomas years ago had severe storms during a winter, and it did sweep the sand away. However, after this, large dumpers were brought in with tons of new sand. When I was over in October 2014, it had been restored nearly to its orginal. I am going back back in October this year and will make sure I take some pics for all to see. :finga:

Alan
:cool:

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » May 17th, 2016, 6:57 pm

The story about sand being brought in to artificially replace the beach relates to many years ago. The beaches at ST seem to be particularly sensitive to storms and sea conditions and the amount of sand and the depth of the beach exposed fluctuates quite dramatically in fairly short periods of time. I have been there in spring when San Adeato and The stretch towards Binigaus have been virtually devoid of sand and yet the beaches have looked fine that summer. We were there in April and there was plenty of depth to the main ST beach, San Adeato was a bit sparse but the bit between Es Bruc and Binicodrell island had plenty. The beach between there and the main Binigaus beach was present, if rather narrow, and Binigaus itself was as normal. From previous experience over recent years, things can change between spring and summer, but this is USUALLY for the better.
We are back there on 8th July and if I remember ( it's an age thing!) I will report then.

Bill

petert
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by petert » May 17th, 2016, 9:31 pm

I was in ST at the end April/begining May. The storms in February had apparently taken a load of sand away but the situation has improved since then. The worst part being the stretch from Hotel Santo Tomas to the first walkway.
From here to Vic Playa the sand is really good and the beach is quite wide.
All the wooden structures onto the beach have been seriously improved, especially the middle one by the Nelson with wheelchair access.
As Bill said Adeodato is its normal self bu with large boulders having been washed to the very back of the beach.
The resort looked very clean and tidy, ready for another season.
However the weather was dire. Very cold, very, very windy and rain. But I just love the place.
I managed the stroll to Pregonda in my trainers, thanks Sue - but resisted buying any flip flops in spite of Steve's advice !
Roll on July

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » May 17th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Thanks for that Peter. :finga:

Alan
:cool: