Back from CG

Accommodation & Restaurant info for Cala Galdana.
RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Back from CG

Post by RubiAnne » September 18th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Well, we are back from our first visit to Menorca.
Cala Galdana is certainly a lovely location. The bay is stunning and the setting is lovely with all the trees and nice views.
We enjoyed our Stay very much and as we had a hire car we saw as many places as possible.

Places we visited (in no particular order);
Alcaufar.
Twice to Binibequer Vell (quaint and picturesque)
Twice to Cala Morrell - really nice there with great views.
Canutells. Very nice place.
Cap d' Artrutx.
Santo Tomas.
Punta Nati.
El Toro.
Fornells. We liked a lot.
Torre de Galmes. Amazing and fascinating.
Cala en Porter & Cova d'en Xorai
Mao. We visited twice.
Ciutedella of course. We went there a few times.

We were staying high up as you can see from the next pic. Fab view, and Galdana is stunning, but the only grumble was the very loud music at night from the hotels. Probably because of the horseshoe shape of the bay and cliffs which noise bounces off, the loud music was kind of funnelled and blasted straight across to the higher apartments, and the level of decibels was a bit over the top! :shock: Not sure if lower apartment locations are as affected by this, but when we would go for a drink at one of the ground level bars the nice music from the bar was drowned out by the hollering from the hotel entertainment! You had to listen to tribute acts whether you wanted to or not! :roll: :grin: I think the hotels should curb their decibels a little. :lol:
I know to expect some noise at a holiday resort, but I thought the noise here from the hotels was rather too much. You had to endure it until 11pm when thankfully it usually stopped.
We learned to stay at a bar around one of the back roads where the noise didn't reach. :lol:
Once or twice after a long day out and too tired to stay out, we'd want to relax a bit in our apartment, but the noise was so loud that we would have to keep the windows closed and swelter (with no air con!) until the music stopped at 11pm --then we'd throw open the windows for some air! Ha!
Other than that, Cala Galdana is gorgeous and we had a great time exploring Menorca.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Back from CG

Post by Susan19 » September 18th, 2014, 5:10 pm

I came back about a week ago, it's certainly a beautiful resort, it seems the most complete of the resorts that I have visited and feel I could actually survive there for a week without a car, which I don't feel anywhere else on the Island if we wanted complete R&R . That music can be annoying, it's weird you can hear it in some places and not others but it didn't really bother us as we were out and about most evenings, think it is something to do with the geography of the gorge. Didn't shatter the peace at the villa during the day.

Lovely photos :smile: we were high up too and had fab views from our upstairs bedroom balcony - gorgeous I didn't tire of it. The sea at the far end of the bay looked like the Caribbean.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

SusieH

Post by SusieH » September 18th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the brilliant report. Glad you enjoyed your first holiday on the lovely island, apart from the noise :???: :???:

We've stayed in various resorts but have never ever been bothered by noise, so I suppose it does depend on where you stay.
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

ireay
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by ireay » September 18th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Great report and wow you certainly kept busy think you've seen as much of the island in one holiday as we have in 18 years :grin: as for the music I think it must have been down to location as I can't say it's ever bothered me and I'm quite noise sensitive barking dogs and last years chickens lol got used to it after a few days. Hope it won't deter you from a second visit

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » September 18th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Not meaning to criticize Cala Galana because it is so lovely there, just that we were a bit surprised at the noise! :???:
I think the noise was bouncing across and hitting our walls! :???:
As I say, we would have to keep the doors and windows shut - in that heat too !!
We did go out and about most evenings too, just that sometimes we'd want to flake out back at the apartment after a long day -- but the loudness of the singing was shocking - I thought we were in Glastonbury!! :grin:

Yes, I agree with Susan that Galdana is compact and the most complete resort - probably the best on the island I think.
We saw lots of other places - Son Bou is nice too - - but the other places don't have as much going on some how. CG has everything you need.
Fornells is very nice, and maybe a quieter resort? I can't imagine booming music there at night - - but I might be wrong! ha,ha. :grin:
If we come back to CG we will carefully choose a quieter spot and not high up! :smile:

Wasn't sure which thread to put this pic, but here's one of Cala Morrell.

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » September 18th, 2014, 7:29 pm

ireay wrote:Great report and wow you certainly kept busy think you've seen as much of the island in one holiday as we have in 18 years :grin: as for the music I think it must have been down to location as I can't say it's ever bothered me and I'm quite noise sensitive barking dogs and last years chickens lol got used to it after a few days. Hope it won't deter you from a second visit

We drove through lots of places and didn't take note of all the names - - a few more places have just come to mind; we went around the Cap de Cavalleria area, and another day around the Punta Prima area. One day we explored around Es Castell. We went down by Cala n Bosch way too.
The only part we didn't get to see was around Es Grau ! :smile:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » September 18th, 2014, 8:18 pm

By Eck!! you did get round :lol: As for the music I'm a little surprised, the authorities normally clamp down on very loud music/entertainment and any complaints from visitors are followed up, just a phone call to the local police would have had them round in minutes.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » September 18th, 2014, 9:27 pm

The music comes from the Cala Galdana Hotel at the front of the resort, it has an outdoor stage and lights it's pool, palm trees & gardens at night & is open to non-residents & guests. It provides a waiter service to tables which must brings in much needed money.

It has various live acts on summer nights and seems to finish strictly at 11pm. I think the police must know about it, maybe the hotel have some kind of special licence as we have been to CD twice in the last few years and it has always been on.

Maybe it us the power of the hotel lobby which let's this happen whereas smaller places would get a pull ? ? ?

Edited for my appalling spelling :oops:
Last edited by Susan19 on September 18th, 2014, 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » September 18th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Great report. Really lovely.

I totally agree about the noise and have to say that the main reason I stopped holidaying in Arenal den Castell 7 years ago, was the music coming from the Fiesta Castell Playa Hotel every night till 11.30. It must have been audible over the whole resort and if I wanted to listen to it, I would stay there, not in apartments half a mile away.

I know it an essential part of a holiday for most people to have entertainment, :shock: , but it is not for me. I actually HATE it. I hate listening to other people's noise, at any time of day, but especially in the evening/early nighttime. It became so pervasive after a couple of years that we made the decision that we no longer wanted to stay in Arenal.

I rent a villa inland now, in a quiet residential area, 10 minutes from Mahon or Cala en Porter. 95% of the other occupants are Menorcans, who go to work in the day and on an evening have a quiet meal. No noise, no music, no Brits abroad or tribute acts :roll:

People call me a snob, quite frankly I don't much care, but RubiAnne, you might find that this is something to consider in future, with a hire car you can drive to any restaurants or evening entertainment you fancy, but when you want a quiet evening on the terrace or verandah with a BBQ, you get it.

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » September 18th, 2014, 10:36 pm

Thanks Hodghegs, glad it's not just me then! :lol:

I'm no spoil sport, and I know some noise is to be expected in a busy holiday place, but this level of music noise was quite intrusive to the resort. Even to the extent that it was drowning out other bars.
I hate other people's noise too, and I'm not one for naff tribute bands. :???:
As you say, if you wanted that kind of entertinment you would stay in that hotel and not in an apartment half a mile away! Well said! :smile:

Anyway, in future I will take care not to stay near any large hotels! :mrgreen: