Review from our recent holiday

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Cala'n Bosc, Son Xoriguer and Cap d'Artrutx area.
ginandtonic
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Review from our recent holiday

Post by ginandtonic » July 30th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Just back from a lovely two weeks in Cala n Bosch. Although we have visited on most of our 18 times to the island, this was our first holiday here in 24 years!! Last time we stayed in the Flora Park Apartments, armed with baby, paddling pool and potty, which all travelled on a daily basis to the beach. Alas, these apartments now look a bit worse for wear, and many, sported 'se vende' signs. Now, it was just hubby and myself (kids all grown up), and we booked a half board holiday at The Valentin Star.

We usually opt for self catering when on the island, we like to sample eating out, but I also enjoy cooking and love shopping for all the local produce, but because this was an 'adults only' property, it seemed like a nice option. (Getting old so need the peace!). The hotel was very nice indeed, lovely pool area, although sunbeds were a bit too tightly packed in, and we were impressed with the policy of not being able to reserve sunbeds with towels, then wandering off. We witnessed one of the pool guys removing at least ten towels from empty beds one morning, so good for them! Food, in my opinion, (and I'm very hard to please) was just fine. Lots of choice both morning and evening, although in the evening, it was the usual, buffet thing of 'look warm' food. It was nice to be able to sit outside for our meals, which gave it more of a restaurant feel, overlooking the marina, and away from what can only be described as the canteen feel. There was the choice to sit out on the marina side, or outside on poolside which was lovely and quiet.There was a good mix of nationalities in the hotel, which I also enjoy.

Plenty of Spaniards, which can only be a good thing. Usually, we hire a car, but have obviously sometime over the past year grown considerably lazy, as we didn't bother this time. We did get the local bus into Cuitadella one day, which was cheap and easy, and we did the usual 'shops, harbour, ice cream and drinks stop'. We love to 'get lost' amongst the narrow back streets. It's a lovely city to wander round. We also took a boat trip from Cala n Bosch marina, which took us up the unspoilt south coast visiting the lovely beaches. We dropped anchor for 15 mins to allow people to swim from the boat and into a cave, then stopped off for one hour at Trebaluger Beach.

We took some nibbles and drinks and enjoyed a quick picnic, before a dip in the turquoise waters. This is a beautiful beach favoured by naturists, so dark sunglasses are a must!! The trip went as far as Binigaus Beach, well known to us as Santo Tomas is where we have spent most of our family holidays. I also have to mention, you really need to be aware that, if like myself, you have a severe bird phobia, that on the return journey, the local friendly gulls fly alongside the boat, feeding from the hands of passengers, happily flapping their wings to all. Hitchcock came to mind, and I made a mad screaming dash below deck, much to the annoyance and embarrassment of hubby, and I'm sure to the amusement of everyone else.

Back safely on dry land we opted to lunch out most days at Las Tapas on the marina. Lovely choice of dishes and along with a chilled bottle of white wine at 7 euros, made for a cheap by enjoyable lunch. The garlic prawns were delicious and hubby found a favourite with the Frito Mallorquin, which the waitress told us was home made by her 86 year old grandmother. This seemed to consist of liver, kidney, and who knows?, plus potatoes garlic and herbs. Not to my taste, but there you go...! We also tried El Pato, because of good reviews, but were dissapointed. My spanish omlette may have been a tad more enjoyable if the chef had not deemed to serve it raw in the middle. Drinks were also enjoyed at Bar Med, and I can thoroughly recommend their Green Apple Mojito!

Evenings in Cala n Bosch were quite lively in comparison to those spent in either Santo Tomas or Son Bou, but it did have a lovely atmosphere after dark. There was always live music in the little square, with people dancing. We also enjoyed listening to a young lad singing in The Fiesta Restaurant. He was a Scottish lad, now living on the island, and his 'King of Swing' tribute was really very good. Do go and listen to him on either a Wednesday or Saturday evening. He could give a lot of the hotel based entertainers a run for their money, and deserves a break. In saying that, we did enjoy some of the entertainment in our hotel, especially Il Divo and The Temptations.

There was something on each evening both poolside and at the marina side, so usually something to suit most. We really have no complaints about this hotel. Lovely cool rooms, happy friendly staff, pleasant waiter service around the pool with daily tapas dishes offered free of charge. Yoga, water volleyball and aerobics if that's your thing, and at other times, absolute silence. So, all in all, for us, although we haven't done our usual traipsing around the island, fiestas, etc, it's been a completely different experience for our Menorcan holiday, but we are home, happy and relaxed, and that's what it's all about. Until next time!! :grin:

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Review from our recent holiday

Post by watta » July 30th, 2014, 2:20 pm

An excellent report and glad you had a great holiday. :finga: Thanks for taking time to report back and roll on next year then. :barmy: :barmy: :barmy:

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

Not this year now, but next, hopefully.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » July 30th, 2014, 3:17 pm

:razz: As Alan has said, a fantastic write up on your holiday, many thanks for taking the time to share, I almost felt I was there with you, :toasting:
I only let him think he's in charge.

SusieH

Post by SusieH » July 30th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Brilliant review :finga: :finga: You might notice though it looks a bit different :???: I went in and divided it up a bit, my old eyes were having trouble trying to focus on it all lumped together :lol: :lol: Hope you don't mind :???:

But still a brilliant review. And especially loved the bit about the naturists and needing to wear dark glasses :lol: Now come on, I know that's only cos you can stare at the nekid peeps without them noticing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

ginandtonic
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by ginandtonic » July 30th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Thanks and no problem with the editing Susie. And yep you're right about the glasses, although, admittedly, there was really nothing worth looking at, if you know what I mean!! But eyes do wander easily!

SusieH

Post by SusieH » July 30th, 2014, 6:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 2nd, 2014, 10:16 pm

Loved reading your review ginandtonic, made me quite want to go and stay in cala n Bosch, too many nice places and not enough holidays. Still off to Cala Galdana in a few weeks so mustn't grumble :grin: must book more holidays, must book more holidays.............
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

Rosie Posie
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Rosie Posie » August 6th, 2014, 12:39 pm

That was a great review, brought back so many memories. Unfortunately we didn't get going this year and missed it so much.
Thanks for taking the time to put up such a wonderful review

Rosie