Holiday Review 2017

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Cala'n Bosc, Son Xoriguer and Cap d'Artrutx area.
ginandtonic
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Holiday Review 2017

Post by ginandtonic » August 3rd, 2017, 10:27 am

As usual this is a bit long winded and I'll probably realise once I post that I've missed something of great importance!!

Have been back home now for nearly two weeks and this horrid weather is not helping my holiday blues!
Spent another lovely two weeks in Cala n Bosch. This year we chose the self catering option as a change from our usual stay at Valentin Star Hotel. We stayed at MenorcaMar Adults Only apartments and we have had a truly relaxing experience. Beautiful linked little bungalows, with excellent air conditioning. The apartments are in the Cap d'Artruix area, so about a 15 minute walk to the marina. We often chose to walk the coast road round by the lighthouse, which takes a bit longer, but more picturesque. Practically outside the apartments we could jump on the bus and for 1 euro we were at the marina in minutes. This bus also runs into Cuitadella for 1.95euro and takes approximately 20 minutes. Our first day was spent 'getting a feel for the place' and seeing if anything had changed since our last visit. We went to Bar Las Tapas for our lunch (spent rather uncomfortably in my travel outfit, as it was discovered that hubby had forgotten the suitcase keys!! On visit to reception we were informed that the handyman would start work at 4pm and would come round then with his hacksaw!) Anyway, our first cold Estrella went down a treat, and the tapas met our expectations. Back to the apartment, and with the handyman having succeeded in the task of breaking into the case, we (or rather I) unpacked then spent a lazy evening on the patio with a cold bottle of rose and some nibbles. The pool at the apartment complex was large and we could always easily get a sunbed and parasol. There are only 70 apartments, but there is a really nice little restaurant/bar serving breakfast, lunch and evening meals at very competitive prices. We were pleasantly surprised to find that three evenings a week there was some live entertainment, which was lovely to enjoy whilst having a meal. The cooking facilities were adequate (two cooking rings and a microwave), and I did manage to cook a few meals to enjoy on our lovely quiet patio, highlight being chicken fillets in menorcan cheese sauce with garlic potatoes, washed down with more of that lovely vino Rosado we found in the supermarket for 3.20 euros!! We also bought a sobrasado sausage for 5 euros, and this lasted for practically the two weeks. (chopped up, gently fried with honey, served on good old Bimbo bread toasted, with a grating of menorcan cheese), we enjoyed this at many a lunchtime. We did eat out as well and all our meals this year were very good on the most part. We tried Cappricio Italiano sitting above the marina for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hubby had the seafood pasta and I tried the veal with potatoes. Both delicious and washed down with a nice bottle of red. It is worth asking for a outside table overlooking the marina. We had a lovely tapas lunch at Asador On Egin, and a couple of great pizza lunches at Avanti. I think this is still our favourite place around the marina and we can thoroughly recommend both their stuffed squid and fillet steaks. We returned to Bar El Lago regularly too, opposite the entrance to the Valentin Star. This is an unassuming little place, but serves good beer, wine and sangria, and at a lunchtime, they dished out potatas bravas, and Spanish omelette, free of charge. Their large g&t's went down well too! We didn't hire a car this year, but used the bus to visit Cuitadella a few times. We had friends arrive to stay at the Valentin Star for part of our stay, so we set off for the day to Mahon with them. Caught the bus to Es Castell and wandered up to the Sky Bar ontop of the Barceló Hotel for a drink and admire the view. Very nice it was, but we all decided that it wasn't a place we would chose to stay in, also thought it looks rather out of place, sort of plonked right in the middle of such lovely old buildings. We lunched at a bar right at the bottom of the hill, as you come down onto Cala Fonts, and have to say, this was the most disappointing meal of the whole holiday. Cant remember it's name but everything tasted a little bit burnt, so not a place we will return to. Back in Mahon we wandered down from the bus station towards the harbour, popping in and out of all the lovely little shops, selling the most fabby menorcan sandles. Admired, as usual the boats in the harbour then stopped of for a beer for the men, and a bottle of vino Rosado for us girls. Back in Cuitadella, we had to kill some time before the bus back to Cala n Bosch so, decided to have a wee drink in C'an Nito. We were served some lovely tapas of chilled mussels and peppers to compliment.
We booked the Amigos boat trip to Cala Galdana, and the four of us headed out to sea in rather choppy waters. I'm rather nervous in a boat, so the beer packed in the cool bag helped calm me, (slightly). We enjoyed the best tapas lunch at Bar Alaska, sitting out on the pavement. They have a large menu and everything we tried was delicious. We also sampled the drinks at the outside bar at Hotel Audax, and although nice, a bit pricey. We only went to the beach once, this holiday, which for us is a complete turnaround. When the kids holidayed with us we used to spend every day on the beach at Santo Tomas, however, we did venture along to Son Xoriguer, flask of coffee and fresh pastries packed, but found the beach to be disappointing this year. Very stoney and not much sand at all, we stayed for a couple of hours, then retreated to Why Not beach restaurant for a lovely pizza lunch. Our apartments were just a street away from the coast, and from here we enjoyed watching the fabulous sunsets. We walked along to the lighthouse one evening for this, got ourselves settled on our shoreline seats, feeling very romantic (or pretending to be) with our bottle of vino in the icebucket, only to realise that this was also the favourite place for the local mosquitos. Never have I drank a bottle of wine so quickly! These little beasties have been exteremely bad this year.
So that's it all over, we've had plenty great food and drink, had plenty laughs and have returned with more great memories from another fantastic trip to a fantasic island. I've another wee pair or menorcan sandles to add to my collection, and will definitely have to go back next year just to buy another pair. :toasting:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: Holiday Review 2017

Post by trevx » August 3rd, 2017, 11:34 am

Wow, be surprising if you have forgotten something, that's an extensive review! Thanks for sharing your memories, don't they make you want to return asap?!

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » August 3rd, 2017, 1:36 pm

Great write up up.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » August 3rd, 2017, 7:15 pm

:grin: What a fantastic review, many thanks for sharing your holiday with us, :sad: bet your feeling very sad to be back but have lovely memories to savour.
I only let him think he's in charge.

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » August 3rd, 2017, 7:56 pm

Excellent report. :finga: :finga: :finga:

Alan
:cool:

Lizc
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Lizc » August 3rd, 2017, 11:46 pm

Fabulous review Ginandtonic and a great recommendation :grin:

sophie2
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by sophie2 » August 4th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Great review :smile:

Dek
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dek » August 7th, 2017, 8:35 pm

Thanks for the excellent report. Took me back to CnB. We were there in May and are returning to Menorca next month but to the other end of the island this time. Twice in one year, don`t know how she let me get away with it. :smile: I have a feeling I will pay for it next year one way or another. :sad: