Annual Report !

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Cala'n Bosc, Son Xoriguer and Cap d'Artrutx area.
ginandtonic
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Annual Report !

Post by ginandtonic » July 23rd, 2018, 12:00 pm

<r>Here we are back from our hols and what a brilliant time we have had. Very relaxing this year and just what we needed. Stayed again at the fabulous MenorcaMar Apartments. This is great accommodation for anyone looking for a quiet adults only break. It is owned by a Menorcan family, which we like, as we feel we are keeping our money on the island. It has a really nice restaurant onsite, fabulous friendly staff and occasional low key night time entertainment, and a brilliant swimming pool, but shhhh... dont tell everyone! Slightly 'out of town' but easily accessible by bus for 1 euro. (I'm sure by next year we will be on first name terms with the drivers!) Also only 1.95 euro into Ciutadella, so good for a bit of 'both worlds. The bus stop is practically outside the apartments. <br/>
We enjoyed some lovely weather and did quite a bit of 'daundering' about. Cala n Bosch was nice and busy with a good atmosphere around the marina. The Goody Goody Park has been demolished and we are led to believe (according to a local source) that this October will see the start of the building of a new complex of 5* self catering apartments. Also the All Inclusive Cala N Bosch Hotel, situated at the beach is due for an update, and also Paradise Club. <br/>
We enjoyed some nice food and can definately recommend The Moriatry Gin Bar in Ciutadella. Situated just off Placa del Pins in a converted palace we sat out back in the courtyard and enjoyed some lovely tapas and wine, and funnily enough never had a gin!! Had a nice meal in Es Forat down by the harbour one night when I had a delicious Beef Stroganoff and hubby had a dish of monkfish in a seafood sauce. Also drinks were enjoyed sitting outside Pins 46, watching the local dancers. We also like sitting at Bar Imperi, but my phobia of birds somewhat tainted our visit. (Horribly friendly pigeons)!!<br/>
We went by bus to Santo Tomas one day, just for old times sake and also to have a wee look at the new 5* hotel that has opened this year. After having quite an expensive lunch at Es Pins, (which was busy but not great) we both decided that our days spent at this quiet resort are over. It was great for us when the kids were little, (when we spent everyday at the beach) but now holidaying on our own, felt that the lack of restaurant choices, would not fulfill our requirements. Still a lovely little resort, but were not convinced either about the new hotel. I am sure it is nice, but at the moment looks a bit too industrial and not at all in keeping with the area. <br/>
Back in 'Bosch' we ate at Avanti and Asador On Egin,round the marina, both good, but again, in my opinion not as good as last year, but I think I just didn't pick the right things. (Who goes to Menorca and wants chicken curry?! Me ! <E>:grin:</E> ) A couple of new places have sprung up. One, which we didn't get round to trying gets great reviews, cant remember the name but will try it next time, and the other, The Classic tapas bar was very good. The usual Bar Las Tapas next to The Med Bar kept us well fed and even more well watered many a lunch time. A special mention must go the the very friendly staff, particularly with waitress who comes from Galicia (a great credit to this bar). We also enjoyed drinks (and free tapas) at El Lago which is situated opposite Valentin Star. We do love a drink of an evening in Don Carlos Bar but it is expensive. We sat a couple of times at Toms Bar, which isn't a favourite but I somehow enjoy the tacky duo singing 'Despicito' whilst the locals (I'm presuming that's who they are as they are always there) salsa their way round the square.<br/>
The beaches have been affected by stormy weather this year so the seaweed may affect the enjoyment of swimming for some. We appreciate the environmental reasons for leaving seaweed in situ and it didn't deter us from a few dips in the Med! We did the Amigos Boat Trip to Cala Galdana, and again enjoyed a tapas lunch at Bar Alaska and another swim in the sea. We weren't so impressed with the new swimming pool that has been built in the wee square behind the bars. It is for the use of the patrons of Hotel Cala Galdana and Villas Daljander (definately not the correct spelling!!), and did feel, as we sauntered past, that it was a bit like having a swimming pool in the middle of a shopping centre, with folks just wandering through the sunbeds gawking! (us included).<br/>
Son Xoriguer beach seems to diminish each year, but nice for a wee change and a nice lunch was had sitting in the sun at Why Not Bar. (Although I do believe we were somewhat 'done' with the cost of the house wine.)<br/>
Out by our apartments which are in the Cap D'Artruix area, a new restaurant has sprung up called Bar Mestral. Owned by the owners of 2 Rocks further up the road, it looks lovely ( perhaps a tad expensive considering it doesn't get much passing trade)with a separate roof terrace where the views of the sunsets could be appreciated. (We did not 'appreciate', instead preferring to wander down our wee road with a bottle of cheap Conde de Carault Rose (3 euros 25) and two glasses in hand to see aforementioned sunset). Whilst into our first week we noticed the closure of La Oca (The Goose). I appreciate that a lot of people seemed to have a love for Paco who owned The Big Apple, but it now looks so run down it surely needs to go! It seems to be kept as somewhat of a shrine, with candles burning daily, but it is making the area look really tatty. It does not do the other establishments any favours at all. <br/>
All in all a fantastic holiday, not visiting as many places as normal, but we'll be back. We're home, with even more Avarcas to our names, where we can sit back and relish in our memories of another great trip, switch and go off and book next years holiday!! For everyone with holidays still to come, have a great time!</r>

ginandtonic
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Annual Report !

Post by ginandtonic » July 23rd, 2018, 12:21 pm

Saved this as a draft, and am obviously not as computer literate as I thought, cos don't know what all the odd wee signs and letters are now that I've posted. Anyway sure you'll get the jist !!!!!

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » July 23rd, 2018, 2:28 pm

Excellent report and glad you had a great holiday. :finga:
Thanks for taking the time to share it on here.

Alan
:cool:

SusieH

Post by SusieH » July 23rd, 2018, 4:35 pm

Now THAT is a report :grin: :grin: Well done and thanks for giving us all that info :grin:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » July 24th, 2018, 4:43 pm

:toasting: Well done on a great report, very much appreciated.
I only let him think he's in charge.

Lizc
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Lizc » July 26th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Great reading your report, thanks

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » July 27th, 2018, 10:21 am

Great report. Thanks for posting.

Duffer
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Duffer » July 29th, 2018, 5:19 am

Thanks for your report. You’ve helped me realize that we’ve made the right choice for September.
We’re quite new to holidays in Menorca, only been 3 times and each time to Cala’n Bosch. After the 3rd time we thought we’d try somewhere a little quieter, less touristy so went to Santo Tomas in June. We were in a villa and the resort was lovely, for the daytime, very peaceful but I agree with you that there is not enough in the way of restaurants to choose from for an evening meal and the ones we tried weren’t really all that good so we ended up cooking for ourselves and eating in the villa which wasn’t ideal although we enjoyed our own food more.
I think the lack of restaurants is due to the fact that it is mainly a family resort for those with children and most accommodation is self catering or all inclusive which is ideal for families but we don’t have young children and like to make a nice meal and drinks our evening out.

We’ve decided to go back to Cala’n Bosch in September where we can have the peaceful days in the villa because although it is a busy resort of an evening, during the daytime everyone is either at the beach or at their own accommodation pools so it’s very quiet anyway. And there are so many restaurants to choose from that we’re bound to find somewhere that we like.

ginandtonic
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by ginandtonic » July 29th, 2018, 10:54 am

Ah, thank you all. Duffer, lucky you. Very jealous we have to wait until next year now !! Have a great holiday. Post a report when you get back !