October Half Term

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
rob_cheshire

October Half Term

Post by rob_cheshire » August 24th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Hi
We have visited Menorca during the October half term week for the last 2 years, staying in Cala Blanca. Both times we really enjoyed it although it was very quiet and a lot of the supermarkets were starting to run down for the close of the season.
This year I notice our half term holiday is a week later (25th till 1st Nov) so was wondering if it is still worth visiting this week or will most things be closed down (I see some of the hotels / apartments are not available for that week). Anyone got any thoughts? If Cala Blanca doesn't have much open then what are the best resorts to visit at this time of year? Also just as a matter of interest what is Menorca like during the winter, from anyone who stays here over the winter season?

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: October Half Term

Post by ciaran » August 24th, 2014, 9:14 pm

I always go October half term to C & P, lots of places are starting to close down, but we have always had good weather, the sea temperature is good so we spend a lot of time snorkeling, the island is very quiet , but its a great time to go visiting different places, the nights can get a little chilly, but the weather was perfect last year, I prefer the October visit to the August visit. :smile:
The next Moderator

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 24th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Another thing you need to consider is whether you can get a flight back that late in the season, as many of the airlines stop the Menorca flights towards the end of October, certainly through the regional airports. Why on earth have they made the half term holiday so late? No doubt it's another way for the government to stop families taking holidays abroad, like the fines if you take your kids out of school, I'd love to know why it bothers them so much :???:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 24th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Lol I think you will find that it's half term because it is the week half way between the beginning of the term and the end of the term.

The idea is to give the students a break equidistant from each end of the term.

It's not actually all about people's holidays even though everyone who posts on holiday forums seems to think it is, it's about the students, their education and their wellbeing. It's the longest term of the academic year so they need the break.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 25th, 2014, 7:46 am

I don't agree with you Susan; when are families supposed to go on holiday then? Why have they brought in the fines if you take your child on holiday in term time; school is not the be all and end all some people think it is. I think a child's wellbeing is the last thing on their mind when they make these rules; family time is gradually being eroded, they seem to want children away from their parents at an increasingly younger age, spending longer and longer in school. Countries where children start school later and have shorter hours actually produce brighter, happier children. There are more important things than exam results believe it or not. Besides, education doesn't always have to take place at a desk. :sad:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 25th, 2014, 10:41 am

There are 13 school closure weeks a year to take holidays, surely that's enough to manage a week or two away.

It's been the same for the last 30 years or more, but people didn't moan about it endlessly in the old days, they have just got far more selfish than before. My parents had very little money so we had a one week holiday in England most years during the school holidays, some years we didn't even have that. Not two weeks abroad - it's not actually one of life's essentials.

I can never understand anyone who would take their kids out of school for a holiday, they get bored to tears during the 6 week break and everyone moans how dear it is to entertain them In the UK for 6 weeks.

People with money holiday for 70 years it's only for 10 of them they have to conform to this, there are loads of restrictions that come with having kids this is just one of them. The common sense thing is to have a holiday sometime in the 6 weeks as you then only have 4 weeks to entertain kids.

I reckon by the time you add up what's been spent on the cheepo holiday in term-time & the extra spent in the UK on trying to keep them entertained during school holidays the costs are as broad as they are long. It's just that some people prefer to priorities their holiday to their kids education. It's all about what the parents want and see as their right, great example to their kids. I hope they continue to fine people.

As for the old chestnut 'holidays are educational blah blah' well if (big big if, as normally used by parents to justify their position) they are, they are just as educational taken during school closures times so kids get an extra two weeks education if they go in the school holidays.

It does end - both my kids are now at Uni so we can go in September, went then last year and the weather was rubbish so wished we had gone in a July or August as per !

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 25th, 2014, 11:18 am

So you don't see it as part of a trend then, taking away our liberties by stealth? More and more interference into our lives, that the state, not parents, make all the choices concerning our children's wellbeing? I personally won't put my faith in 'The Establishment' to know what is best for my family when they prove on a daily basis that they are only serving their own interests. I am fortunate in that I am in a position not to have to send my children to state schools so I don't get fined for taking them out in term time, nor are we restricted by the National Curriculum; however, I totally understand the frustration of families forced to spend a fortune on holidays during peak time because they are not allowed to take them out of school. I've heard the arguments along the lines of it's disruptive to their education etc, but I don't buy it. What about happy childhood memories? A sense of freedom? Time to just be? It saddens me that children are seen as some other species, an inconvenience. Some adults act as if they were never children themselves, or come up with the old 'ooh, when I were a kid I was shoved in a cardboard box and slung in the cellar and it never did me any harm' attitude; different times, different attitudes, move on.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 25th, 2014, 12:51 pm

I do see it as part of a trend, a part of a trend where adults ignore rules and regs that are put in place thus sending messages to their kids to do the same.

I've even heard of parents calling their kids in 'sick' from the airport. What a fine example to set. The world our kids grow up in is going to be a lot different from our world, massive population explosion ergo less jobs, certainly less decent jobs, no proper retirement age,working 50 years etc. I suspect those that have these kind of examples set by their parents to be the ones that will call in sick to work ten years down the line and may not be able to make it a decent job, due to sloppy parenting. (Obviously I'm not saying you would do that kind of thing of phoning in thing, just setting out where I am coming from on this).

Just think it's a sad state of affairs as the people who try and justify it are often those that decry other non conformist behaviour but because this particular thing suits them turn a blind eye to the messages they are sending their kids. :sad:

I don't see anywhere that is implying I see kids as 'some species' and can't see what I have said to make that interpretation from :sad:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » August 25th, 2014, 2:07 pm

:???: Can I just say that while I understand children shouldn't be able to take weeks at a time out of school time, we first came to holiday here in 1985, our son was fourteen, he wasn't affected by having time off for the two weeks in October, he went on to Edinburgh university and has for the last twenty years had an excellent job earning a good wage. The schools used to let you have two weeks off with their permission, I personally cant see why they don't still do this, the children may not be sat at a desk, but they can learn so much about different Country's and cultures.
The difference in the price of a holiday and flights in term time compared to school holidays is a huge difference, and one that not everyone is fortunate to be able to afford.
Oh and just to say, although we took him and his younger siblings out of school in the 80's it hasn't rubbed off on any of our three children, they only take their children on holiday in the school holidays. :lol:
I only let him think he's in charge.

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 25th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Susan, likewise, I was not having a go at you personally, rather I was making a generalisation about how children are sometimes 'demonised', the idea that this generation and their parents are somehow worse than previous ones, and I just don't think that is true, by and large, e.g. we have youngsters working in the local charity shops and they are delightful, so polite. That is the difficulty of trying to have a discussion on a forum rather than face to face, it doesn't always come across as we intend, and I would hate to hurt anyone's feelings, truly. I admit that I question everything; it would make life a lot easier if I just accepted the mainstream 'rules' but I just can't, that's my default setting! I agree with rules if they are beneficial, but some are just petty and not in our best interests. I have seen situations where just one person has had the guts to stick their neck out against the mainstream tide and in the end has been proved right. You and I are never going to agree on this, but I respect your point of view. I have to admit to being a bit surprised though; you don't strike me as a conformist, you come across as not being afraid to speak your mind (and I mean that in a complimentary way); I just can't imagine you following rules without question! :smile: