October Half Term

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
Jack Regan
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: October Half Term

Post by Jack Regan » August 25th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Can I ask for clarification?

Some posts back Dandelion complained that governmental interference was somehow altering the half term dates for his children. But then he says they attend a fee paying, private school and he wouldn't be fined if he took the children away in term time. But doesn't the private school take responsibility for setting the half term dates? And if he wouldn't be fined, what's the problem?

I'm amazed that even when people are being "fined", how frequently children are on holiday in term time. I appreciate that it may be cheaper but - dare I say it? - children don't actually have to holiday abroad. And sometimes when I'm trying to sit by a hotel pool and read a book in what should be a child-free time, I'd rather not have someone's children jumping in and out and causing a huge row. Just to be clear: our children are seriously grown-up now, but we took them abroad in school holidays when we could afford it. So I've not the slightest objection to children going on holiday and enjoying themselves but, actually, sometimes grown-ups need a bit of peace and term time might be a reasonable time to expect it!

Jack

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 25th, 2014, 3:09 pm

I wasn't 'complaining' about the setting of half-term dates for my own children, Jack, as it doesn't affect them. I was making a point about the original poster's own children's half-term dates being set at a time when it would be difficult to take a holiday abroad. Just because it doesn't affect me, doesn't mean I can't be sympathetic to people with children in state schools who are not allowed to take their kids out of school; I have friends who find it frustrating. You say children don't need holidays abroad, well, I beg to differ, our family holidays abroad are massively important to us, the things we've experienced, the happiness they've brought, the memories, photos, that intense time together, means the absolute world to us, it's brought so much colour to to our lives that I can't even put it into words. I appreciate that not everyone wants kids around when they are on holiday, but there are kid-free hotels if you're that way inclined. I can only speak for myself when I say my kids are NOT allowed to be irritating to other people; actually we don't even like the swimming pool much to be honest, we spend our days out and about, walking, exploring historic sites, on the beach. I respect you want 'adult time', same as when I'm out for a walk and a stranger's dog comes jumping up all over me and licking me, I don't particularly like it but I accept they have as much right to be there as I do. Hope that is the clarification you are after, I thought you were good in the Sweeney by the way, wasn't so keen on Morse though. :smile:
Oh, and for the record, I'm a SHE, not a HE! :tongue: :lol:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

Jack Regan
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Jack Regan » August 25th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Thanks, Dandelion, I thought I was good in The Sweeney, too. By the time Morse came along, all that running about and shouting had rather tired me out.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but it was you who raised the question of government interference,fines and expense. Seems to me it's the family holiday that matters, not whether you have to get on a plane to get there. Of course, the prospect of better weather is very attractive, but we've also had really great family holidays in the UK.

I choose a hotel on its merits and don't think it's too much to ask that children are only there in school holidays. The sound of children having fun is fine, but when it's not school holiday time and just one set of children are having fun in amongst a whole load of grown-ups.....

I appreciate you try to rein your own children in - but it seems a shame to have to do that. And you have to be careful about what tour operators say: what's sold into the UK market as adults only may be sold into Germany or France as open to all.

So, nice of you to post back, Madam, and nice to think of sunnier climes on a rainy Bank Holiday Monday in the UK.

Jack

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 25th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Ha, ha, I liked you in the Sweeney as well.

I'm of the same view, that family holidays are important but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be two weeks abroad in a summer sun destination during term time. My one week in a BnB in Cornwall or Devon gave me a lot of happy memories. It doesn't have to be St Lucia.

Seems ironic that someone whose kids break up on something like 7th July so can get away when it's cheap, get 4 weeks at Easter to play with and 2 weeks at October half term feel it's fine for state school kids to play truant - because that is what it is.

Pity the poor state school teacher, much undermined in today's society, particularly by parents who want it all, who then has to work out how to get 10 kids to catch up the two weeks work they have missed. (A holiday diary with restaurant receipts and the odd photo really doesn't cut it).

Pretty unfair as well on the kids of the parents that don't bunk the rules, who presumably don't get the same level of attention while the teacher has to help the holiday makers make sense of what they have missed :sad:

I suppose I simply don't see it as a petty rule, I can see the logic and the rationale behind it, as you say we won't agree on it.

I guess I am a questioner as well, but it's more about things like why balsamic vinegar can no longer be put out in little dishes on restaurant tables due to 'Heath and Safety' and must now be in bottles - that's the kind of petty rules I have problems with, or the EU's prescribed size and shape for a Golden Delicious apple :roll: But I never feel educational issues are petty or small.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » August 25th, 2014, 5:57 pm

My son is at a fee paying school too. Breaks up around 4th July, but because I work in a state school, we can't get away until 17th or 18th July usually, about a week before the state schools near me break up. I don't like hotels, so we stay in a villa, where nobody bothers us and we don't bother anyone

I work in a school in an underprivileged catchment area and because the parents are not well off, we have a huge percentage taking their kids out for holidays during term time. They would rather get the holiday for £500 less and happily pay £60 or £120 in fines. They've still saved a huge amount of money.

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think the current system works, especially for children from poorer families.

JOHNSTONE MATTHEWS
Bandwidth abuser
Bandwidth abuser

Post by JOHNSTONE MATTHEWS » August 26th, 2014, 1:07 pm

This is a much better debate than that other one last night :grin:
one day,maybe
Cala n Bosc 15th -22nd June 2018
Cala n Bosc 8th-22nd September 2018

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » August 26th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Forgive my ignorance but it's ages sine I had school age children. A few quick questions:

A) who imposes the fine
B) is it enforceable
C) what happens if you don't pay
C) where does the money go if you do pay

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 26th, 2014, 6:29 pm

JOHNSTONE MATTHEWS wrote:This is a much better debate than that other one last night :grin:
What one last night ? Did I miss something good, I love a bit if a debate :smile:

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » August 26th, 2014, 7:09 pm

I think he means the Scottish independence debate. :grin:

Individual councils decide if they are going to impose fines, schools then report to the EWO's (truant officers) and the money is payable to the local council offices. But the fines are not enforceable by law I believe and hardly anyone pays them. I will try and find out what happens if you don't pay.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 26th, 2014, 11:59 pm

Must have missed the Scottish Independent debate lol.

I was worried incase it was the debate on if an orange jelly baby was more delicious than a yellow jelly baby :shock: Didn't want to get involved as I know it's an emotive subject, possibly the kind of thing people come to blows over :grin: :barmy: :grin:

My theory (posh word for a guess) with the truancy fines is that some LEA's enforce them rigorously and some in a more lassiez faire manner and any monies that come in to the LEA from this then goes back out to the school the following fiscal year when they get their annual budget.