October Half Term

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
Jack Regan
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: October Half Term

Post by Jack Regan » August 27th, 2014, 9:51 am

Here's the info:

https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-ab ... attendance

the position seems to be that if a child is absent without permission a fixed penalty notice is issued and if that's unpaid a prosecution may follow with a significant fine payable on conviction.

So I suppose the money from the fixed penalty would go to the education authority and the fine into the court system.

Thinking about the difference between state and private education in this, it occurs to me that if you're paying a lot of money to educate your children, their absence from the expensive school is a financial cost.

All the best to the original enquirer for his October family break.

Jack

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 27th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Exactly, Jack, private schools don't give a refund for the days pupils are off school! I wasn't going to say any more on the subject (bored of myself already)! but just wanted to say I think Hedghogs is right, there's no easy answer, but maybe they could split the long summer holiday into two or three shorter ones? Not only is it more expensive in high season, it's also too hot and crowded for many. Please, though, people, don't be too quick to judge parents taking their kids out of school for a hol, you don't know their personal circumstances, someone I know went through a horrible life event and had a nervous breakdown; it literally saved her sanity going abroad with her family.

And Jack,this is just for you:

GET YOUR TROUSERS ON, YOU'RE NICKED!! :susies: :lol:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 27th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Forgive me, but I couldn't resist another one, well, you're rather asking for it with a name like yours!

"WE'RE THE SWEENEY, SON, AND WE HAVEN'T HAD OUR DINNER YET!"

"I am Inspector Morose, and I er- haven't listened to any Mozart yet".

You get my earlier point, don't you, about it just not being as good? Minder, though, that was cracking, well done Waterman, even if you did write the theme toon, sing the theme toon. :rock:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » August 27th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Susan19 wrote: I was worried incase it was the debate on if an orange jelly baby was more delicious than a yellow jelly baby :shock: Didn't want to get involved as I know it's an emotive subject, possibly the kind of thing people come to blows over :grin: :barmy: :grin:
I was going to keep out of this "Debate" but ...... Personally I have never come to blows over JB's ... yet. My wife and daughter nearly did over a lamb bone in the fridge once :lol:
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 27th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Furthermore, what's the best way to eat a jelly baby? Bite head off, or legs first? Just eat it whole? How do you eat yours? Gawd, ruddy Menorca forum, I've got stuff to be getting on with!!
Last edited by Dandelion on August 27th, 2014, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Bert

Post by Uncle Bert » August 27th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Without wanting to prolong this debate, who's in favour of parents being able to 'fine' schools if they decide to go on strike for a day? Once again, many a parent suffers by having to take a day off work or through paying for extra childcare.

What say parents can take their kids out of school during term time for the same number of days teachers go on strike?
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

Take me home to the place I belong - ALAIOR, MENORCA!!

gregscott
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by gregscott » August 27th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Agree with you Uncle Bert :grin:

And include Teacher Training Days and closing schools to use them as polling stations

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » August 27th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Poor Rob, he was only asking what the weather would be like & what would still be open, but as far as the taking kids out of school, I've only taken the odd day purely on cheaper flights, we never got fined because they were I'll, :smile:
The next Moderator

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » August 28th, 2014, 2:03 am

Uncle Bert wrote:Without wanting to prolong this debate, who's in favour of parents being able to 'fine' schools if they decide to go on strike for a day? Once again, many a parent suffers by having to take a day off work or through paying for extra childcare.

What say parents can take their kids out of school during term time for the same number of days teachers go on strike?
gregscott wrote:Agree with you Uncle Bert :grin:

And include Teacher Training Days and closing schools to use them as polling stations
Totally agree you pair, and its about time 'two can play at that game' in penalising the so called schools. Strangely enough, up here in Scotland, there tends to be a lot of leniency with school heads and parents over this. :finga: This appeases everyone, so why not down south???? :roll: :roll:

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

ROLL ON 2021, perhaps.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 28th, 2014, 11:14 am

Slartibartfast wrote:

I was going to keep out of this "Debate" but ...... Personally I have never come to blows over JB's ... yet. My wife and daughter nearly did over a lamb bone in the fridge once :lol:
[/quote]

Ha, ha. I didn't join in your debate t'other night as I know the orange ones are best :grin:

Same with fruit pastilles, wine gums ............
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015