October Half Term

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: October Half Term

Post by Susan19 » August 28th, 2014, 11:20 am

gregscott wrote:Agree with you Uncle Bert :grin:

And include Teacher Training Days and closing schools to use them as polling stations

What has this got to do with the issue, closing schools for polling and training days is a Statutory obligation.

Are you saying head teachers, teachers, teaching assistants, dinner ladies etc should be penalised for complying with the law ? :shock:

Wouldn't have thought that was a particularly good example to set the kids.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

gregscott
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by gregscott » August 28th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Susan19 wrote:
gregscott wrote:Agree with you Uncle Bert :grin:

And include Teacher Training Days and closing schools to use them as polling stations

What has this got to do with the issue, closing schools for polling and training days is a Statutory obligation.

Are you saying head teachers, teachers, teaching assistants, dinner ladies etc should be penalised for complying with the law ? :shock:

Wouldn't have thought that was a particularly good example to set the kids.
The point is it is the Government that has decided to impose a fine with the justification missing school damages a child education while also making it a 'statutory obligation' to close schools for teacher training days and polling. ( can teachers not be trained in the holidays? Surely there are other building that can be used for polling?)

I would certainly not dream of penalising teachers etc for complying with the law :shock: I would however consider it reasonable that if the Government can fine me for damaging my childs education by causing them to miss school, the same should also apply when they damage my childs education by causing them to miss school.

Rant over :grin:

dodgydaved
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by dodgydaved » August 28th, 2014, 1:10 pm

gregscott wrote:[

The point is it is the Government that has decided to impose a fine with the justification missing school damages a child education while also making it a 'statutory obligation' to close schools for teacher training days and polling. ( can teachers not be trained in the holidays? Surely there are other building that can be used for polling?)

Statute requires schools to be open for 190 days a year - and teachers to be available for work on 195 days a year.

I know that some schools have their training days on a Friday before a term starts on a Monday - cutting the teachers' holidays by 2 days.

I was a teacher for 42 years, 39 of those working with kids with emotional, social and behavioural problems.

I have enjoyed this debate and, as one always does, I have seen a lot of truth and sensible comment on both sides of the argument.

However no one has taken the side of the teacher really. I can only vouch for my own experience.

When I first qualified (1970) I could not afford to take a foreign holiday when I was able to - for the reasons previously stated. By the time I got various promotions (and I finished as an assistant principal) I had a mortgage, a family to support and spent a lot of my holiday time on courses - I still couldn't afford a foreign holiday.

It has only been in the last ten years, with family educated and self sufficient that my wife and I have been able to get away. Admittedly we now take a couple of three week breaks a year, both with family members in their apartments, staying in Andalucía in May/June and Es Mercadal in September/October - holidaying in term time alt last because that is when I can afford the air fares!!

Not grinding an axe or making a real point - just saying the way it was for us.
A visitior to your little island on far to few occasions!

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » August 28th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Susan19 wrote: family holidays are important but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be two weeks abroad in a summer sun destination during term time. My one week in a BnB in Cornwall or Devon gave me a lot of happy memories. It doesn't have to be St Lucia.

Seems ironic that someone whose kids break up on something like 7th July so can get away when it's cheap, get 4 weeks at Easter to play with and 2 weeks at October half term feel it's fine for state school kids to play truant - because that is what it is.

Pity the poor state school teacher, much undermined in today's society, particularly by parents who want it all, who then has to work out how to get 10 kids to catch up the two weeks work they have missed. (A holiday diary with restaurant receipts and the odd photo really doesn't cut it).

Pretty unfair as well on the kids of the parents that don't bunk the rules, who presumably don't get the same level of attention while the teacher has to help the holiday makers make sense of what they have missed :sad:
Good post. I agree with your points.

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » August 28th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I have read through all posts, and sorry to repeat in parrot fashion, but I agree with the comments that ignoring rules is a bad example to kids.
I agree that some families selfishly prioritise holidays over schooling.
It is not compulsory for children to go abroad for a holiday.
You have children so there are going to be cetain restrictions in life until they grow up - get over it as the saying goes!
You have kids and some things in life have to be put on hold.

This thing we keep hearing about children' learning more' about countries and cultures when they are on holiday - - erm, I tend to doubt this.
Ok,I am sure that there maybe some educationally minded parents that will make sure their kids are learning about the culture of the country they are holidaying in - but I can't imagine that a good portion of average families in holiday resorts are even thinking about, never mind spending the day educating their kids on cultures and customs !
Ha! Average Joe 'Brits abroad' holiday maker - a lot of the time - doesn't even know enough culture, custom, or language to teach !! :roll:
Love the comment about a holiday diary with restaurant receipts and the odd photo. So true ! :lol:

I tend to agree with the comment about teachers being increasingly undermined in society.
Yes, some parents do want it all.

Having kids = certain restrictions in a lot of aspects in life.You gotta' get used to it until they older.That's way it is !

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm

gregscott wrote:

I would certainly not dream of penalising teachers etc for complying with the law :shock: I would however consider it reasonable that if the Government can fine me for damaging my childs education by causing them to miss school, the same should also apply when they damage my childs education by causing them to miss school.

Rant over :grin:
There is a huge amount of legislation that governs where a poll takes place, Local Authorities own schools and schools comply with the huge amount of health and safety requirements that are needed when you open a place to the public.

Would you be the kind of person to complain if your council tax went up to pay for private venues for polling or if there was a fire in an unsuitable venue and the electorate were burnt alive ?

Most of this kind of stuff is bound by statute, not just in the UK but all over. Elections in Italy last three days :shock:

What about the costs of inspecting all these other venues to ensure suitability, elections cost the Country millions, I've worked them for the last 25 years both as a poll clerk and presiding officer?

Re why teacher training days can't be held in school holidays ? If you are like me and get four weeks holiday would you want to give up a week for training ? Teacher training days are a statutory requirement (used to be called Baker days after the Minister that introduced them) they aren't some kind of nice optional extra.

I wouldn't be a teacher for 200k a year. You're up against selfish parents all the time.

A school isn't as good as it's pupils or teachers, it's as good as it's parents i.e. the families the kids come from.

Rant over :grin: (I think) :grin:

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » August 28th, 2014, 2:56 pm

RubiAnne wrote:I have read through all posts, and sorry to repeat in parrot fashion, but I agree with the comments that ignoring rules is a bad example to kids.
I agree that some families selfishly prioritise holidays over schooling.
It is not compulsory for children to go abroad for a holiday.
You have children so there are going to be cetain restrictions in life until they grow up - get over it as the saying goes!
You have kids and some things in life have to be put on hold.

This thing we keep hearing about children' learning more' about countries and cultures when they are on holiday - - erm, I tend to doubt this.
Ok,I am sure that there maybe some educationally minded parents that will make sure their kids are learning about the culture of the country they are holidaying in - but I can't imagine that a good portion of average families in holiday resorts are even thinking about, never mind spending the day educating their kids on cultures and customs !
Ha! Average Joe 'Brits abroad' holiday maker - a lot of the time - doesn't even know enough culture, custom, or language to teach !! :roll:
Love the comment about a holiday diary with restaurant receipts and the odd photo. So true ! :lol:

I tend to agree with the comment about teachers being increasingly undermined in society.
Yes, some parents do want it all.

Having kids = certain restrictions in a lot of aspects in life.You gotta' get used to it until they older.That's way it is !
Great post :smile:

The argument that kids 'learn' on holiday never washes with me.

If they do 'learn'. Surely they would 'learn' all this wonderful intangible stuff' if they have their holiday in the school break anyway?

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » August 28th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Well we did take ours out of school because it was the only way we could afford it, and our children did learn about the Country they were in, we didn't sit by the pool all day or on the beach, we did visit museums, went to the archaeological sites, fort Marlbara, La Mola, etc, they played with the local children, if we had gone all inclusive and didn't move for the whole holiday then that would have been different.

Oh, and October is a lovely Month :lol:
I only let him think he's in charge.

Uncle Bert

Post by Uncle Bert » August 28th, 2014, 3:57 pm

End of by any chance ?????????
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

Take me home to the place I belong - ALAIOR, MENORCA!!

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » August 28th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Uncle Bert wrote:End of by any chance ?????????

I doubt it Uncle Bert. :grin:

I've never taken my boy out of school, because as mentioned up the thread, I would be losing my money if I did so. Interestingly, (though I can only speak for 2 private schools, not all obviously), the staff there have never gone on strike, whereas as the state school I work in has closed for several days in recent years for strike action.

At the school I work at, the kids seem to get shafted whatever they do, parents taking them out for holidays in June and September and missing school due to strikes.

I do agree with sunseaker's comment, as we too are not ones to sit in a hotels grounds all day and we always try and see the real Menorca, lots of amazing history and culture. Not everyone wants to sit by a pool in an all-inc resort.