October Half Term

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
gregscott
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: October Half Term

Post by gregscott » August 29th, 2014, 2:27 pm

electorate burnt alive

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » September 18th, 2014, 10:52 pm

gregscott wrote:
electorate burnt alive
Ha ha, I only just saw that Greg made me lol. :grin:
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

gregscott
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by gregscott » September 19th, 2014, 9:06 am

:grin:

the mad buyer
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by the mad buyer » September 23rd, 2014, 9:49 pm

What about families whose parents can't get time off work when schools are on holiday and who, if they want a family holiday, in the UK or abroad need to Take their kids out of schools during term time ??
Last edited by the mad buyer on September 24th, 2014, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stories are like fairy gold, the more you give away, the more you have

HilarE
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by HilarE » September 24th, 2014, 11:20 am

Have just read through the whole of this post and being a fence sitter I can see everyone's point of view!

But, the problem lies with the airlines and tour operators who inflate their prices extortionately during school holidays. Dan said recently that they wouldn't survive if they didn't charge these prices and wouldn't be able to offer the cheap out of season deals, but is it 'fair trading'? My husband's business is in bottled gas. We sell very little in the summer so don't make any money but when it turns cold we sell a lot more, obviously, but we don't charge any more for it. If we behaved like the airlines and quadrupled our prices every time there was a cold snap we'd lose all our customers.

We are going back to Menorca on the 4th Oct to close down and when we plan to return we will be caught by the half term pricing, so we are going via brother in law's who lives near Alicante and hopefully an Easyjet flight from there.
We have booked up to return next May 5th with Easyjet for £29.99 but a return flight at the end of the month is £200+ again it's half term! We get caught up in the school holiday pricing trap even though we are senior citizens!

HilarE
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by HilarE » September 24th, 2014, 11:44 am

Just thought I'd better check my facts, and see that the Thomson Menorca - Bristol flight for end of Oct has come down to £118.99! but the end of May flight is £329.99!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » September 24th, 2014, 7:22 pm

To be honest I think I agree with Dan, in general the prices during the main season are the true prices and the ones in June, September, October type off peak weeks are heavily discounted to fill charter and low cost airline plane seats.

There is no way that a flight can only cost £29.99 to run too and from Menorca.

I flew on BA this year and the plane was half empty as it was the first week after the schools returned. It's a scheduled flight that goes every summer weekday I believe regardless of if full of empty and ticketing normally costs something like £300 return, which I would imagine is a truer reflection of the costs of aircraft fuel, airport taxes, government taxes, staffing the airport, staffing the airline, maintaining the planes etc

A friend of mine who has a villa in Puerto Banus regularly bought 4 seats to Malaga for years and years in the six week school holiday period and they cost her about £800 (this was approx 18 years ago) she couldn't believe it when the LOCO's came on the scene and it dropped to £180 for the something similar if she got in quick - and the cynics say the prices of some things don't come down !

Realistically if those £800 flights had gone up in line with inflation over those 18 years they could now be a lot more, then people really would have something to moan about.

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » September 24th, 2014, 8:58 pm

I like cheap fights as much as the next man but I agree that we are still able to get to Menorca relatively cheaply compared to when we first used to come regularly we had to come in summer school hol period being teachers but were delighted if we could manage return flights from northern or midlands airports for under £200 each. This was in the early 1990's so inflation has perhaps not hit these flights as much as it might have other aspects of expenditure.

Bill

oldseadog
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by oldseadog » September 24th, 2014, 10:44 pm

We always fly from Luton, can't be bothered with the travel and parking at Gatwick which is cheaper.
I left it late last year, to book a flight for September, thinking I might get a good deal .
Ended up paying £600 for 2 return flights, with all the trimming's, ie EX leg room, food etc.

We do like the extras but still like a good reasonable price !! :cool:

Paid £410 (with all trimmings) for this Sept by booking in May !!
Already booked for next June, same price.
So for us, it's book reasonable early to get the decent prices, from Luton.

regards
OSD
Old Sea-dog.
Still looking for my next boat
looks like it may be a canal barge now ?

1994 - 1st time at Tony's Restaurant, just past the old Gavilanes.
Great food and views. especially at night.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » September 24th, 2014, 11:29 pm

I'll keep my eye out for Luton flights (are they Monarch?) as they suit us as well, last time I used Luton was to Geneva and it was pretty stress free. :smile: I'm happy to go from Luton, Stansted, Gatwick, Heathrow, London City airport or even Southend if I could find any. Sometimes you just have to pay what you have to pay, otherwise you can't go :smile:

I always think the parking at Luton is a bit of a bargain, somewhere called slip-end from what I remember, seems like you are going to the middle if nowhere.