Is Cala Blanca for us, need a change from Cala Galdana ?

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Is Cala Blanca for us, need a change from Cala Galdana ?

Post by Susan19 » November 7th, 2014, 11:44 am

No idea if it would suit.

We like small picturesque places, a good choice of villa accommodation, easy access to good restaurants, preferably 2 of 3 walkable from a villa, although we would have a car, which we would probably get from DonCars again as they were great. But that means OH can't partake of a bottle of wine.

Although we love Cala Galdana and appreciate the great beach, we mainly spend mornings around a pool, so if the beach is not great it won't be too much of an issue, would go down at 3pm (when sunbeds get cheap !) and stay late like the locals do.

Will we like Cala Blanca or will we be disappointed ? Is there much to see in the area, places of interest?

On the plus side for our week, villas in Cala Blanca look quite a bit cheaper than Galdana for some reason, ball park figures being £1100 ish compare to £1500 ish for a 3 bed 2 bath with small pool, so this is a great plus point.

Any comments gratefully received, although I will try and read the older posts on here as well.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: Is Cala Blanca for us, need a change from Cala Galdana ?

Post by trevx » November 7th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Whilst Cala Blanca doesn't have the same visual impact as Galdana, it has it's good points:

choice of 2 beaches at Cala Blanca itself and Santandria nearby, plus those at Calan Bosch are about 10 mins drive away; further afield but still relatively short drive away, are the virgin beaches on the south and the north.

There are prehistoric sites to explore, lovely old buildings and museums in Ciutadella, water parks at Calan Bosch and near Los Delphines, plus trotting races near the latter.

In immediate vicinity, plenty of restaurants in Cala Blanca, Santandria and Calan Bosch.

Cala Blanca has good access to the Ciutadella ring road then on to the main cross island road.

Ciutadella is 10 minutes car drive away, best of all you can get the bus in at night (€1.65 one way last season) takes about 15 minutes, last bus out at 12.30 am: no-one has to worry about drink/ drive issues, it's very safe and comfortable.

Any more questions happy to help!

good luck with your hunting :lol:

trevx

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » November 7th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Well done trevx, with that report. :finga: :finga: :finga:

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

ROLL ON 2021, perhaps.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » November 7th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Many thanks Trevx, most grateful for your report, all sounds promising :smile:

I was wondering this afternoon if I was posting too early as was thinking most people aren't planning for next year yet.

One of the big attractions for me is being near Ciutadella as we didn't get there this year, we can only get away for a week at a time, and once you get in Galdana you kind of get stuck in there, as it feels a bit remote. Also would like to visit Cala n Bosch, infact that might be a viable alternative resort if it ends up coming down to the attributes/prices of specific villas.

I've found a couple of groups of villas on various sites, there is about 20 in one clump called the Mirabels, but it's hard to work out if you get allocated a specific one, or if you just get allocated one from the group, need to do more research, I probably won't book the accommodation for ages.

The others seem to be called Villas Amarillas, but might be between Cala Blanca and Cala Santandria, although the areas seem to merge into one.

Where do you stay Trev ?

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » November 9th, 2014, 1:25 am

We don't take a villa, there's only 2 of us at the mo, so a basic apartment suits us fine :lol: particularly as we go out most days. We stay in C/Blanca, but, just to confuse things, there is a merger zone between C/Blanca and Santandria called Son Carrio; having said that, they're all v close to each other if you have a car :lol:

Don't take this as gospel, but I think both sets of villas you mention are in reasonably quiet residential areas of C/Blanca, near to bus stops and about 10 mins stagger from most resort restaurants! Think you'll be able to find them on Google maps.

I'd go for C/Blanca, simply for location. We've booked already for next year!

Personally I don't like to leave it too long before booking to ensure best price and choice. You can always request specific villa/ apartment and whilst agents can't and won't guarantee to meet your request I feel they'll do more to meet it if you book earlier, but may be I'm a glass half full person...

Suggest you Google map C'Blanca and C'Bosch to get a feel for the areas. Both offer amazing sunset spots...even better with a sun downer!!!

Finally, being so close to Ciutadella, for us, is seductive and addictive; day or night it's a lovely town; particularly recommend Friday and Saturday nights when the locals are out in force! In the summer months there are also lots of events put on in the evenings. If you have a specific restaurant you want to eat at, book to ensure a table as the good ones do get busy! Do check out the harbour area but be aware they're not always the best :yawinkle: You can find some gems at both ends of the €s spectrum, away from this area.

Our experience of C/Bosch is less recent and others on the site could give you more up to date info. Let me know if you do take C/Blanca and you want more info/tips etc.

Good luck with your choice, it's all part of the anticipation.

trevx

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » November 9th, 2014, 9:58 am

Have you looked at Calan Porter , lots of villas to choose from, plenty of bars & restaurants, lovely beach, :smile:
The next Moderator

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » November 9th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Wow, thank you so much for some top quality information Trev. I feel like a girl who is spoilt for choice here. :grin: I think the Maribel Villas are near Cala Santandria Beach but still in Cala Blanca, if my limited skills on google earth are pointing me in the right place. There are some Maribel Apartments in a different location so they are probably connected in some way.

We also have a dilemma as strictly speaking there is only the two of us, but I have found that two adults in a 4* hotel costs similar to a modest villa.

We have Uni aged kids who won't commit early on, then as the date comes close and they haven't sorted out anything for themselves :roll: suddenly ask if they can book a couple of cheap flights & come with lol. We are happy for them to do this for as long as they want, so I continue to book villas and put all the names on the Villa bookings as it doesn't cost any extra.

We love the space a villa gives so it won't be the end of the world the year we finally end up in one on our own !

I will have a look at Cala n Porter as well Ciaran, would probably love it there as well, but only have so much time to research, I guess that's why I start early. Menorca has a great choice of resorts. :supz:

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » November 12th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Cala Blanca is very different to Galdana- The pluses (besides newness to you ) are access by bus to Ciutadella other than that I personally would not choose over Galdana - coastline is very much low level volcanic rock( not that attractive) so very different plus it feels more down market to me ( just my opinion )

in 2015 you might even have some caves in Blanca to visit!

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » November 12th, 2014, 2:37 pm

It's a brilliant walk from Cala Blanca into ciutadella along the coast, there are paths through the rocks and you bob down onto several beaches along the way. In the other direction you can do the same to Calan Bosch. It's the cami cavalls path.

Personally I'd choose Cala Blanca over Cala Galdana every day of the week!! It's all a matter of personal choice.

I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go, you must be completely confused by now!

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » November 12th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Thank you beachstroller and Glensibs it's good to get lots of opinions even if they differ, I don't mind that as we all like different things. I suppose I should be happy that I am going to Menorca. Lots to think about here.

I flirted with the idea of going to Son Parc this year and then kind of talked myself out of it after soliciting information about the resort so plumped for Galdana (which we enjoyed immensely), but it wasn't a gamble as we had been before.

Still have this nagging feeling we should try somewhere else, but then I have a little voice chipping away at me going, 'say you don't like it, you will be gutted' :cry:

I spend a lot of my time in a state of confusion :rolleyes: :grin: