Kayak

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Kayak

Post by glensibs » May 10th, 2015, 10:34 am

Somewhere else on the forum someone was wanting to purchase a second hand kayak.

As an aside to this, we were in Cala Blanca last week, we love to go early, it's great before it gets busy. On the Sunday morning we wandered down to the beach. Quelle Horreur! The beach was absolutely full of about 60 - 70 Kayaks of all shapes and sizes. It was some kind of race, we sat and watched for ages, they all set off, the 'aces' going first, then the rest of the field, OAP's, kids, one players, two players etc. heading out of the bay and towards Calan Bosch. It was amazing. I've got a photo but can't work out how to upload it on to the site.

Previously when we have been out of season there has been a round the island walk taking place and also a mountain bike ride round the cami cavalls.

An island for all seasons, if only the flights were available!

SusieH

Re: Kayak

Post by SusieH » May 10th, 2015, 5:50 pm

The post is in the Main Menorca help forum :lol:
I'll stop moaning, when you give me a pay rise this :arms: big

:nonono: SITE POLICE - REMEMBER i'm watching you :nonono:

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » May 10th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Agree people miss so much outside the main season - my friend took part in the race at CB

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » May 11th, 2015, 2:20 am

glensibs wrote:As an aside to this, we were in Cala Blanca last week,
So....how was it, where d'ya go, what ya do??? :grin:

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » May 11th, 2015, 9:40 am

It was brilliant! I could just stop there......?

Weather was great which we didn't particularly expect in April, a real bonus. We normally stay in Ciutadella at this time of year but we stayed at the Sol Ponent this time. I really recommend it. We stayed there a few years ago and it's had a bit of a revamp. Sitting by their pool watching the boats is just superb. Regarding accommodation only the Sagitario and Mediterrani were open in Cala Blanca. Maribel opened on 1 May as we came home on 2nd.

Blarney Stone was open but their kitchen didn't open until 1st May either. They have a posh new Menu which we will get to try properly on our next visit in June. Nautilus was open, which was useful. Tony was opening up as we left.

Ate at the place down the hill towards the Sol Ponent with the unpronounceable name beginning with X. Menu del dia was really good.

Caught the bus into Ciutadella a couple of times. Had to get the timing right there were about three a day! Really love it there.

How long have you got...... I can keep this going for ages....?!

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » May 11th, 2015, 10:34 am

I'll make the time :lol:

Sol Ponent- great spot, did you get a sea view apartment? What are their apartments like, have wondered? When did they open for business- must've been earlier than most?

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » May 12th, 2015, 11:54 am

Missed a trick by not getting a sea view apartment, would have been perfect this time of year. Worth remembering that the sun sets in the sea at Cala Blanca, we had a sea facing room last October and it was blisteringly hot on the balcony from lunchtime, making the room very warm at night. We weren't staying in the Sol Ponent then so had aircon but the noise keeps me awake!

The Sol Ponent apartments opened in early April this year, they are nice, basic typical Menorcan apartments. Better than some we have stayed in, not mentioning any names! We had a new fridge, toaster and kettle(yay!) in ours and the bathroom had been revamped. Spotlessly clean and it is family run. They all speak reasonably good English. Tried to book them for June but they are full for the dates we wanted which must say something.

Now not sure I am allowed to give glowing reviews on this site. I'm sure someone will remove it if necessary!

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » May 12th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Please reviews are good more reviews is gooder :lol: Keep em coming.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » May 12th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Thanks Glensibs, we're quite happy with basic, the simple life is what we look for on hols so your review makes Sol Ponent worth bearing in mind for future years.

Just out of interest, what were/are the ones you feel aren't as good as Sol Ponent- so we can avoid! :lol:

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » May 12th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Argh....minefield!

Well we all have our favourites and it's definitely only a personal thing, while Maribel is great for a drink or coffee and the pool is lovely I'm not so keen on their accommodation in the main commercial area. Although their apartments do have aircon so it's probably swings and roundabouts.

Now someone is going to say it's their favourite and I'm really in trouble and it's all your fault!!

Ok then, do you have a favourite?