Kayak

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: Kayak

Post by trevx » May 13th, 2015, 11:39 am

Never stayed at the Maribel so you've not upset me! Had a meal there once- not wowed!

We had many, many happy years staying in CnP for our main hol but recently wanted to find somewhere up this end of the island for short autumn breaks to be closer to the beaches we like and Ciutadella; tried Calan Forcat etc which were ok, then tried Cala Blanca. About 20 years ago we'd visited someone staying here and it hadn't made a great impression on us but we thought it'd be ok for a week. This time around we discovered we really like it! It's now our main hol location too.

We've used the Blancala and been happy there, basic, but enough for our needs and quiet, same views as the Sol Ponent; no aircon but then we like to sleep with the windows open providing we're not on the ground floor; we like the staff there and the restaurant's good. Prices mean we can stay for longer and afford to eat out a bit more too.

We hit on Blancala after reading good reviews, so your recommendation of the Sol Ponent is a useful and interesting alternative.

We looked at hiring private apartments: found a couple on front-line we liked the look of, but couldn't make contact to book the 1st and the owner of the other quoted one price which we accepted, then he increased it saying he'd missed off booking fees and other charges :mad: ...as you may guess, we didn't book it :lol:

All being well we hope to be back in late June. :dream:

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » May 13th, 2015, 3:52 pm

We stayed at the Blancala last year and are going back at the beginning of June. Sounds like we'll just miss you (I heard you say "phew"!). They opened on 1st May and it's the same couple as last year so the food should be just as good.

We hit on Cala Blanca by accident really. We booked a week there way back in about 1990. The following year we went on one of the cheapie deals that were popular then where you are told when you get to Menorca where you are staying and it was the same place!

We've stayed at loads of other places in the island but CB is still our favourite with Playa Fornells a close second. Going to try Santo Tomas for a few days on our trip in June.

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » May 14th, 2015, 12:52 pm

Shame we'll miss you, but how strange, we were there last October too! You must be on count-down soon, although if you were out there recently you'll have barely unpacked- at least you won't have to think too hard about what to pack :lol:

Let me know how you find the Blancala and CB this time around. :finga:

higgs008
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

cala blanca

Post by higgs008 » May 15th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Hi Guys

Im going to Maribel Villas late June and was just wondering what restaurants you could recommend as we usually stay in Cala n Bosch and not familiar with the area, love Cala n Bosch but just fancy a change.

We did stay here 2008 early may but weather was so poor we couldn't even use the pool or get out much, Saying that we did spend our week at the Sa Quadra steak house which was lovely but also convenient. We are meeting up with family who live in England and would be good to get some recommendations.

Only five weeks today!! :barmy: :toasting:

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » May 17th, 2015, 10:40 am

Tricky, I hate making recommendations! You only have to look on Trip Advisor to see your favourite haunts getting a real pasting and places you'd never go back to in a million years getting brilliant write ups. It's all a matter of personal taste and circumstances. Feeding kids is a bit different to feeding two grown ups!

So.... We enjoy the food at the Blarney Stone, the restaurant right on the beach in Cala Blanca (the one downstairs), and Xaura (probably spelled incorrectly!). The food at the Blancala Apartments was excellent last year too. Nautilus is cheap and cheerful and very friendly.

Hope you have a brilliant holiday, we're ahead of you.... Just two weeks to wait now!

higgs008
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by higgs008 » May 17th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Thanks

I agree it is personal taste etc, but still cant help asking everytime!

Blarney Stone was top of my list as we did make it that far but only had a chance to get a drink there as the weather was about to pour down again but i really liked the view and had a good feel about it. So good to see that you enjoyed the food, and as for the restaurants at Cala Blanca beach we didnt even know they existed last time as we thought the only beach was at Santandria beside the Villas so we are really looking forward to getting down there for some nice food finished off with a few drinks :finga:

thanks for the reply i will have to give them all a go, have a lovely holiday wish i only had two weeks to wait! :toasting:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » May 17th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Can't add anymore to Glensibs recommendations for CB, but will say: catch the bus (and home again later!) into Ciutadella, there're loads of fab restaurants there and no-one has to drive so all can have drinkypoo. :lol: The buses are brilliant and you've not far to walk to the bus stop where you'll be staying (amble :yawinkle: on return) :smile:

Happy hols to you both. :finga:

All being well, 6 weeks today for us :cool:

higgs008
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by higgs008 » May 17th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Thanks Trevx

We had considered hiring a car to go and get a look about the shops, finished with a nice meal but opted out as we all like to have a wee drink :rolleyes:

So great to know that this is still possible with the buses being so close to hand :barmy:

Have a great holiday :grin: we will just be missing you! :toasting:

scruffyboy17
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by scruffyboy17 » May 29th, 2015, 1:07 pm

We have stayed in Cala Blanca for the last two years, first time we stayed at the Vista Playa 1 apartments (not to be confused with Vista Playa 2) which is a lovely little complex of 9 apartments, 2 villas and a pool. It is owned by the Sagitario Hotel so you can use there pool also and get a discount on food.

Last year we stayed in the Blancala apartments which were also good, it was a much bigger complex split into three blocks and had two pools. Most of the residents were Spanish which was great as they didn’t tend to use the pools till late afternoon.

Both apartments were nice and clean, and usual Menorican basic apartments. Staff in both hotels were lovely and very friendly and I would recommend both.

Plenty of restaurants also in the resort, I don’t think we had a bad meal in the two years we have been. The Nautilus bar is also a favourite of ours the beer is good and the Sangria is wonderful.

Santandria is about a 25 minute walk away from the town centre, the beach is lovely there and we also had a meal in the steak restaurant Sa Quadra is a really enchanting place to eat