Green water in Cala Blanca?

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Green water in Cala Blanca?

Post by clubjoker » July 18th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Just seen a news article mentioning the water being an unusual shade of green this summer at Cala Blanca, with speculation as to the cause, and a decrease in the number of people swimming. Anbody seen it or know more about it?

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Green water in Cala Blanca?

Post by clubjoker » July 18th, 2015, 6:10 pm

bulwellian
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by bulwellian » July 19th, 2015, 9:06 am

we have been told by a Menorcan it's harmless and is only sea grass drifting in , but it certainly looks strange ,another strange event was the sea at Santandria turning a delicate shade of yellow guess what that looked like ! but again harmless just nature having a laugh
removed

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » July 19th, 2015, 11:12 am

I'm sure the authorities will have had the water tested and if there was anything to worry about would have put out warnings. One of my favourite swimming spots, Cala Estaban had warning signs all along the cala saying that although it looks clear there was a lot of of sewerage in it. But I suppose green/yellow water doesn't look too inviting.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » July 19th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Reading through the comments made on the news website (with a big pinch of salt) they say variously that

- there was a similar problem at Cala en Porter years ago which the authorities covered up - their test results didn't agree with those commissioned privately
- algae blooming caused by effluent from septic tanks giving nutrients for the algae to feed on
- similar green water this year is also visible along the south coast in Macarella and Son Saura, and also the other calas between Cala Blanca through to Cala'n Blanes
- this, though google translate:
"The council must inspect suspicious connections to mains, because sometimes they son't exist. In Cala en Porter exactly this happened with the first line houses, which were not connected and some irresponsible people emptied septic tanks at night. The saddest thing was that all the neighbors (and the council) and everyone knew and hid it. For years the council whitewashed it, saying tht it was the fault of algae, but the algae do not go unless there is an excess of nutrients. When the GOB came they blocked the pipes that leaked and the problem was over. The case of the Ombudsman was not by dumping but by smells that made the old treatment plant was very close to some houses."

I wonder if it might be caused by the unusually heavy rain this last winter washing nutrients off the island, perhaps combined with higher than average temperatures.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » July 19th, 2015, 12:23 pm

The Cala'n Porter episode was back in the 1980's and yes there was confusion as to the cause and was possibly connected to the sewerage system, or lack of. There are still probably a large majority of properties still not connected to proper mains sewerage systems. I know that Sant Lluis council have said that everyone will have to connect to the main sewerage system at their own cost, but ....... at the moment there is no main system to connect to.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » July 19th, 2015, 3:43 pm

I just found an article in the local paper and a photo.
I must admit it would put me off.
I went snorkelling in Cala galdana on Friday and I could not see a thing it was so cloudy :???:

http://menorca.info/menorca/local/2015/ ... ecial.html

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » July 19th, 2015, 7:27 pm

I've always been suspicious about the river at Cala Galdana polluting the bay, TBH.

Early in the season, it doesn't seem to cause an issue, but in the summer, the smelly river water seems to migrate around the rocks and pollute the water in the bay, and it's always particularly bad at the Audax Hotel end of the beach. So, if we venture there in the summer, we walk down to the other end of the beach, where, usually, the water is a lot clearer.

So, whether the river water is more visible in the summer because of more sewage flowing into it (due to more tourists), or whether it's just the heat making the natural algae bloom, I really don't know.

All I do know is a that Son Bou, being a long, open beach, doesn't ever seem to suffer from this problem, which makes you think it's definitely a water circulation issue (with, or without, hidden nasties floating about)!

Sue :???:

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » July 20th, 2015, 11:51 am

Interesting to note that Cala Galdana is a Blue Flag beach, as is Cala'n Porter.

Here's a list of Blue Flag beaches in the Balearics. If you zoom in on the map, you can more easily see which are in Menorca (and which are in Mallorca and Ibiza if that's your thing).
http://www.blueflag.org/menu/awarded-si ... n/baleares

If you look at the criteria, you can see why Menorca's gorgeous virgin beaches don't get Blue Flags - amongst other thing, they don't have recycling facilities or drinking water available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Flag ... h_criteria

It's encouraging that Galdana has a Blue Flag. That suggests that the others (especially the virgin beaches) are likely very clean too, despite not having a Blue Flag for their lack of "faciltiites" (a good point, in my book).

:grin: