Cala Blanca beach storm damage

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Santandria, Sa Caleta and Cala Blanca resort area.
trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Cala Blanca beach storm damage

Post by trevx » April 20th, 2017, 12:49 pm

A heads up for anyone visiting Cala Blanca.

The beach was very badly hit during the late winter storms and unfortunately, with the removal of the posidonia grass from the shore line, the sea has encroached quite a distance inland- the beach is currently much diminished :sad:

Apparently Sa Caleta and Playa Gran in Ciutadella were also affected but the grass was left in situ so there remains some protection.

I know other beaches along the south coast have been affected in the past, eg Binigaus, Santo Tomas, Son Saura, can anyone report on how others have fared this year?

rcorcoranuk
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Cala Blanca beach storm damage

Post by rcorcoranuk » April 20th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Cala 'n Blanes beach (Pirates Cove) is fine although I know the tornado came right past here. Not sure about the others round here.

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » April 20th, 2017, 7:40 pm

We're going next week so I'll let you know when we get back. We have been out of season in the past and the beaches always looks as though they've been through a mangle, then they get the tractors out and come May you'd never know anything had been amiss.

Luckily we are not surf dudes or beach babes, much happier sitting in a bar looking at the sea, so personally not too bothered about the condition of the beach, more of a problem if you want to build a sand castle.

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » April 20th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Hi Glen :grin: please do post back news, from the pictures I've seen the beach looks much reduced :sad:

Not so much an issue for us as we tend to go further afield, unless we've been out for the day and fancy a last few hours there, but for peeps hoping to spend much of their time in CB it will be a fight later in the season. :shock:

all the best, have a good hol :finga:

ps neither a dude nor a babe but do love time on the beach :grin: :c9:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » April 20th, 2017, 8:35 pm

rcorcoranuk wrote:
April 20th, 2017, 5:27 pm
Cala 'n Blanes beach (Pirates Cove) is fine although I know the tornado came right past here. Not sure about the others round here.
Apparently the tornado hit in the Galdana/ Macarella area with most damage- reports quote 2000 trees lost in a swathe across to Ferreries :shock:

The storms which damaged the beaches in the west were earlier in the year, the same ones which hit S'Algar beach front and Cala'n Bosch properties with some force.
Last edited by trevx on May 2nd, 2017, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » April 27th, 2017, 11:52 am

https://menorca.info/menorca/local/2017 ... edia-video

It looks like they are on the case! However I find the comment interesting that it is left very late each year to spruce up the beaches.

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » April 27th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Sadly they'd begun to clear the posidonia before the spring storm hit; the result was that there was nothing to protect the beach from the heavy waves, which washed away the beach :sad: There is a real benefit from leaving the clear/clean up until later :cool: They're now clearing again but if you look at the photo you can see that the sea is reaching further up the beach than it did before.

glensibs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by glensibs » May 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm

The beach in Cala Blanca when we left it about ten days ago was getting back to normal. When we arrived it was in the process of having all the seaweed piled up and removed by tractors, they almost cleared it and then we had one of those very windy days when the waves just pound into the cove so it was back to square one with the seaweed. It must be really disheartening for them. The water level was a bit further up the beach than normal but not as far as I have seen it. The sun beds were put out while we were there. They may well bring in some more sand, I know they have in previous years. The toddlers and sandcastle makers seemed to be enjoying it!

The weather was absolutely brilliant but chilly in the evenings. We moved on to Platja Fornells for the final week of our holiday, the wind changed and it was warm enough in the evenings to do away with at least one layer, not warm enough for the mini skirt and sparkly boob tube but is still only May.

I'd like to say I'm glad to be home but I'm not!!

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » May 17th, 2017, 7:36 pm

glensibs wrote:
May 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm
mini skirt and sparkly boob tube
:worthless:
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » May 18th, 2017, 3:54 pm

:denise: Behave yourself, glad you had a good holiday, our granddaughter goes to Cala Blanca in four weeks time so hopefully it will all be back by then.
I only let him think he's in charge.