Sant Joan festival

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Ciutadella / Cala Morell area.
magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter
Posts: 410
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by magpie69 » April 25th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Be careful about taking young children to the San Joan fiesta. It can be really wild and potentially intimidating for them.

Bill

rachells12
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter
Posts: 72
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by rachells12 » April 25th, 2014, 9:56 pm

magpie69 wrote:Be careful about taking young children to the San Joan fiesta. It can be really wild and potentially intimidating for them.

Bill
Thank you, I had thought it could be, but l thought there were fireworks and other things children would like, that's why I asked which day would be best, would you not really recommend it at all for children?
I appreciate your thoughts.

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 28767
Joined: November 13th, 2003, 7:28 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by Slartibartfast » April 25th, 2014, 10:05 pm

I've never been to the St Joan fiesta so can't comment from personal experience. Our first fiesta was Sant Lluis which we went to with our young children, and stayed for half an hour. It isn't the wildest by any means but the streets were narrow and heaving. Mahon and Es Castell are great and not as heaving as some. Es Mitjorn is by far the most fun.

The busiest day will be when the jaleo [horses] are on, the fireworks at all fiestas are good but not normally on till midnight.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

rachells12
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter
Posts: 72
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by rachells12 » April 26th, 2014, 9:21 am

Slartibartfast wrote:I've never been to the St Joan fiesta so can't comment from personal experience. Our first fiesta was Sant Lluis which we went to with our young children, and stayed for half an hour. It isn't the wildest by any means but the streets were narrow and heaving. Mahon and Es Castell are great and not as heaving as some. Es Mitjorn is by far the most fun.

The busiest day will be when the jaleo [horses] are on, the fireworks at all fiestas are good but not normally on till midnight.
Thanks Steve, think we will just see how we feel on the day, rather than making plans to go, then if it's not for us, the kids won't be disappointed it wasn't as we thought, never really thought either, of course the fireworks would be late, it's summer!! :lol:

User avatar
sunnysideup
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter
Posts: 1237
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by sunnysideup » April 26th, 2014, 1:07 pm

The Sant Joan is fantastic but not for the faint hearted as it's unbelievably busy. To be fair your children may well be bored very quickly with it as it's all about the horses/bands playing throughout the day (and of course lots and lots of pomada :partyman: :partyman: ).
The best day is the 24th for the running of the horses at the harbour where the riders have to collect little rings that are hanging on a rope above the people :rolleyes: If I remember from my last visit the fireworks were indeed very late well after midnight maybe closer to 1am.
Take a look at these great video footage from previous fiesta's

This one shows the running of the horses etc (obviously in Menorcan but you get the drift)
http://youtu.be/Cucx8BvSqOY

This video shows the end of the celebrations
http://youtu.be/mF4YfiNVHKs

And just for your children here are the 2012 fireworks
http://youtu.be/q_0uKOSetr0

Alan :finga: :finga:
Enjoy life...... There's plenty of time to be dead!!!..

Cala n Forcat 1995 - present
Cala N Porter 1992 1993
Arenal 1996
Sant Tomas 1993 1998 1999
Cala n Bosch 2000 2002
Cala Blanca 2001

rachells12
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter
Posts: 72
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by rachells12 » April 26th, 2014, 6:08 pm

sunnysideup wrote:The Sant Joan is fantastic but not for the faint hearted as it's unbelievably busy. To be fair your children may well be bored very quickly with it as it's all about the horses/bands playing throughout the day (and of course lots and lots of pomada :partyman: :partyman: ).
The best day is the 24th for the running of the horses at the harbour where the riders have to collect little rings that are hanging on a rope above the people :rolleyes: If I remember from my last visit the fireworks were indeed very late well after midnight maybe closer to 1am.
Take a look at these great video footage from previous fiesta's

This one shows the running of the horses etc (obviously in Menorcan but you get the drift)
http://youtu.be/Cucx8BvSqOY

This video shows the end of the celebrations
http://youtu.be/mF4YfiNVHKs

And just for your children here are the 2012 fireworks
http://youtu.be/q_0uKOSetr0

Alan :finga: :finga:
Wow, that's hectic!!!
Think that might be something to save till kids are older, or better still left home and it's just me and hubby.
Thank you for the links.

rachells12
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter
Posts: 72
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by rachells12 » March 18th, 2015, 9:01 am

Forgot to post after our visit last year.
We went to the festival. We were told by the rep at our hotel what a great time we would all have, kids included! and so booked onto there excursion. It is defanetley not something to take kids to in my opinion either now, even when you think you have found a quite spot, you end up been right in the middle of it again.
We ended up sat back at the coach with half the other people from the hotel feeling miss sold by the rep!!
Please read the comments by myself and others before you take children.

Now had it just been myself and husband, and drinking the copious amounts of gin others were, we may have found the whole experience different haha.

User avatar
sunnysideup
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter
Posts: 1237
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by sunnysideup » March 28th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Hi Rachells12
Thanks for your report on the fiesta, sorry to hear that your experience was not that enjoyable, but (not to sound smug) I did tell you so. Unfortunately reps will do anything to sell the trips as they earn commission on them, but I find it a little worrying of them to not take notice of families with small children. The trouble is that there are not barriers like festivals in the UK, so like you say, before you know it the crowd is on top of you. Last years fiesta was shadowed by some trouble also which saw the Saturday events cut short. The fiesta is very hardcore and takes a lot to get use to, like you say, when your children are grown up I am sure you will enjoy the fiesta much more, just glad that you were sensible and no one got hurt.
Hope you have a great holiday if you are returning again this year :toasting:

Alan :finga: :finga:
Enjoy life...... There's plenty of time to be dead!!!..

Cala n Forcat 1995 - present
Cala N Porter 1992 1993
Arenal 1996
Sant Tomas 1993 1998 1999
Cala n Bosch 2000 2002
Cala Blanca 2001

rachells12
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter
Posts: 72
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by rachells12 » March 28th, 2015, 5:19 pm

You have every right to say "told you so" :lol:
We are returning this year, again while the festival is on but this time we will be sat sipping cocktails watching on the TV.
Counting down the weeks now, it can not come fast enough

User avatar
sunnysideup
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter
Posts: 1237
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Re: Sant Joan festival

Post by sunnysideup » March 28th, 2015, 5:26 pm

rachells12 wrote:You have every right to say "told you so" :lol:
We are returning this year, again while the festival is on but this time we will be sat sipping cocktails watching on the TV.
Counting down the weeks now, it can not come fast enough

I don't blame you. Happy Holidays :prayer: :prayer: :toasting: :toasting:

Alan :finga: :finga:
Enjoy life...... There's plenty of time to be dead!!!..

Cala n Forcat 1995 - present
Cala N Porter 1992 1993
Arenal 1996
Sant Tomas 1993 1998 1999
Cala n Bosch 2000 2002
Cala Blanca 2001

Post Reply