Robbed!

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Ciutadella / Cala Morell area.
BonnieBon
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Robbed!

Post by BonnieBon » July 10th, 2011, 4:43 pm

We went to one of the archaeological sites just outside Ciutadella. Off from the main road, on the left just before the Naveta des Tudons. Been there many times before, we take a picnic and sit at the reconstructed table. When we parked there was one other car in the small car park, but no-one was in sight so we assumed they'd gone to the site. As we had quite a lot to carry I left my handbag in the boot and off we went for the 15 minute walk to the place. After lunch we returned and I retrieved my bag. All seemed well. On the way to Fornells, where we'd decided to visit, I noticed there was a wind noise from the window, which was not apparent before. On examination, the door had been forced and when we looked in my bag our cash had been removed. Only the 20 Euro notes. They left the 5s. The wallet and purse were still in the bag. Luckily most of our cash was back at the apartment so we only lost about 100 Euros. Even so, it was a bit of a shock.

So be vigilant out there, folks. Keep stuff with you even if it seems you're in the back of beyond!

BB (Older and wiser!)

sunfun
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Robbed!

Post by sunfun » July 10th, 2011, 4:57 pm

:shock: That is shocking! Thanks for the warning. Didn't think that sort of thing happened in menorca.Suppose it's a sign of the times. :sad:
How did they manage to get into the boot?

JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by JanSchofield » July 10th, 2011, 8:55 pm

extremely shocking... :shock: :shock: did you report it?
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » July 10th, 2011, 9:18 pm

That is really shocking :shock: :shock: Especially on the Island. Hope you reported this to the Guardia Civil. :supz: :supz:

Alan
:cool:
:supz: :dream: :c9: :finga:

ROLL ON 2021, perhaps.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » July 11th, 2011, 7:42 am

Aw that's terrible really sorry to hear that.
But yes it is a sign of the times.
I wonder why they left the 5's?

BonnieBon
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by BonnieBon » July 17th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Hi,

No, we didn't report it as we were going home in a couple of days and didn't want to spend half a day in St Luis's Police Station (we stay in Es Castell). They got in by somehow getting hold of the door handle inside - I suspect a screwdriver/hammer/coat hangar job. Once inside they got into the back and pulled the back seat rest down to access the boot.

It still makes me shiver when I think of it. Just be careful out there!

BB

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » July 18th, 2011, 8:59 am

I know it's a pain but you really should report these incidents. If the police know where crime is being committed they have the opportunity to police the areas better.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Nina Gate
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Nina Gate » July 21st, 2011, 8:51 pm

So sorry you had such a nasty experience Bonnie; after a kindness shown that amounted to a vastly opposite experience to yours, it makes such a report all the more shocking. I sincerely hope it didn't spoil your holiday.

Fred Quimby
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Fred Quimby » February 16th, 2012, 12:30 pm

People who go to that extreme, will steal whenever the chance arises. Be warned. :evil:

riot68

Post by riot68 » September 28th, 2015, 8:15 pm

To make folks aware this is still happening, we had our hire car broken in to on the 14th of September 2015 at the same location, as did a group of locals too, they stole bag which unfortunately for us had all our documents, including passports and all the things we needed for our young children to travel, very heartless and a lesson that has cost us now nearly £2000, as we weren't allowed to fly to the UK so had to get another hotel (who were great), fly to Majorca as the British consulate has closed on Menorca and pay for 4 emergency passports. Crazy as the stuff stolen when sold 2nd hand can't be worth much.

There were 2 cars in the car park when we arrived and we spoke to the owner of one as he walked back and we passed him, i'm pretty sure no one else was there but my wife thinks there was which would explain the other silver car. However while we were there a few other people arrived and when I got back to the car to change my 2 year old son to find the our window smashed and the other car there were 5 cars there, as everyone returned one of the other visitors said they'd seen a man who looked to be local looking suspicious on his own in a red pick up truck. We did report it all to the police (national) both at the airport and Mahon however had heard nothing. I hope this helps someone. We've been to the island many times and never had any issues, this car park seems the weak spot for sure.

If anyone has any info then please get in touch, we would like our stuff back, cheers...James.