Robbed!

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Ciutadella / Cala Morell area.
ladyrose

Re: Robbed!

Post by ladyrose » September 29th, 2015, 8:21 am

aw what a terrible shame :sad:
please do not assume this is normal because it is not.

It must have been terrible for you.What a nightmare :sad:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » September 29th, 2015, 11:41 am

Sorry to hear you've had such a rotten experience. Hope it won't spoil your relationship with Menorca.

There were reports of similar thefts from cars parked near the lighthouses and Algaiarens last year; I think the police did arrest and prosecute the thieves, but it's a warning to us all to be continually wary when we park in less public places and not to leave anything valuable in the car- especially as hire cars are easily identifiable.

We had 2 pairs of very expensive walking boots, which we'd forgotten were in the boot, stolen from our hire car near Nerja on the mainland, the only things in the car apart from a packet of biscuits. The biscuits were taken too. We tried to report the theft but it proved to be hugely complicated. The mainland police are less accommodating to tourists and the process required us to provide a translator. We lost 2 of our 7 days holiday trying to sort that out.

Huge sympathies to you for all you've had to go through to sort out your losses. Do hope you've got insurance to cover the financial costs.

trevx

riot68

Post by riot68 » September 29th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Thanks people, we have the expense of new passports now on top of everything else, so might stay in the UK for a while, my wife is keen to avoid Spain now as it's the only place we've been robbed, she was also pick pocketed in Barcelona.

It would help at least a little if there were signs up at these sites warning of thieves and reminding you to keep stuff out of sight, would be a massive deterrent for the thieves too. Just had a quote for a new car key for our car that was at the airport back in the UK, the keys were in one of the bags stolen and no use to the thieves but Mitsubishi want £233 for a new one!

We have enjoyed the island on many occasions and always felt safe, in fact everyone was so helpful and lovely after the incident while we were stranded, story of the world, a very small minority ruining it for the rest of us.

Anyone over their with police contacts? A taxi driver said we should have reported to the local police but it was the national police that came out, I'm sure they know who it was on such a small island but we've heard nothing. thanks again.

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » September 29th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Terrible ! :shock:

We went to that same place last summer. ( and there was only us and one other car there). I'd never have guessed this place would be targetted by thieves like that. :shock:

It justs shows you .. .. we should never take being safe for granted and should not drop our guard when on holiday -- it's too easy to be complacent just because of a quiet and peaceful location - the last thing on our minds is crime. :sad:

sunnysideup
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by sunnysideup » October 1st, 2015, 5:12 pm

Very sad story and unfortunately it's happening more often, as we know people that were robbed at La Vall (Algairens) earlier this year. I'm afraid it's all too common everywhere now not just in Spain. They know that secret coves and monument sites are easy tourist traps. I personally think that they ALL should be staffed now like Naveta Des Tudons etc, maybe more difficult at the beaches. We have been coming to this wonderful Island for over 26 years now, and I know it's sounds pedantic but in all those years hire car after hire car we have never left anything in the vehicles even in the built up towns, and only take a small amount of money with us every day, with passport etc safely locked up in a safe.
I have had my van in the UK done over 5 times in the last 2 years, there is scum everywhere :evil:

Alan :finga: :finga:
Enjoy life...... There's plenty of time to be dead!!!..

Cala n Forcat 1995 - present
Cala N Porter 1992 1993
Arenal 1996
Sant Tomas 1993 1998 1999
Cala n Bosch 2000 2002
Cala Blanca 2001

riot68

Post by riot68 » October 1st, 2015, 6:46 pm

Thanks all, I'm sure we'll be back at some point, need to save some money now and buy new passports so cheap local hols for us for a while. Hopefully the local authorities get on it and try making these places safer, Never been robbed anywhere else except Spain but yes I know it happens the world over. So heartless to smash a window and steal a baby changing bag though...