Improvements in Cuitadella harbour

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Ciutadella / Cala Morell area.
Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Improvements in Cuitadella harbour

Post by Sue Adderley » August 5th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Hi All

Just come back from a couple of weeks on the island, and thought I'd report on the changes that are happening in Cuitadella.

When we visited the harbour at the beginning of June there seemed to be a lot of restaurants that hadn't opened for the season, and things were looking pretty grim in general down there - but what a difference a few weeks makes!

We'd stopped eating in Cuitadella harbour a few years ago really, when they started allowing traffic along the front, but we were eating at a restaurant in the town, so thought we'd have a look in the harbour to see what was going on down there.

Firstly, there were craft stalls set up (selling jewellery, artwork etc) from the square at the top, right down into the harbour, so it meant no traffic at all could pass, so that was a positive. Also the bars on the slope down into the harbour, many of which had been closed/derelict for a few years, had re-opened, and the pavement was lined with tables and chairs. Then, all the restaurants along the front had re-opened, but the biggest change was that they've opened more restaurants/bars/discotheques from the point where the bridge crosses the harbour, which is something that we've never witnessed in all our years holidaying on the island (nearly 15), as many of these buildings seemed to be derelict. It was buzzing down there! I also believe that Space (an Ibiza nightclub) has opened in the harbour (although we didn't see it). So, it must be something to do with the Tourist Board, but I don't know where all the money has come from to renovate the properties and start new businesses, but let's hope it breathes some life back into the island!

Sue :toasting:

ejjdp
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Improvements in Cuitadella harbour

Post by ejjdp » September 5th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Thank you for the information Sue, will make a point of taking a look when we are over in September

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » September 6th, 2012, 8:45 am

Well done :grin:
My son went to SPACE when he was here last time said it was great.
Only problem is the bus from Mahon doesn't come back until something like 5 or 6am.

Peterpjh
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Peterpjh » September 6th, 2012, 10:32 pm

GREAT thats not to bad

Rafafan
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Rafafan » September 7th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Hi Sue

We have also recently returned from Menorca (last weekend) and you're right ... there definitely seems to be more and more bars/restaurants, etc up around the harbour area. The stalls with the jewellery/crafts, etc going down the slope to the harbour have been there for the past few years, but not until July/August time (we were also there at the beginning of June and there was nothing there on an evening and the traffic was still using the road).
Likewise the bars on the lower part of the slope from the harbour (where the ice-cream parlour is) ... these only seem to be open on certain nights, even in high season, but you're right .... when they are all open and everyone is sat outside with live music, it's a really brilliant atmosphere.

We also thought the biggest change was the development of the buildings beyond the bridge. We notice several bars had opened there last year and even more seem to have opened this year. We did wonder if this was partly due to the changes in the actual harbour (now the big Iscomar boar doesn't come in any more and they have made lots more private moorings). Whatever the reason, it has certainly livened things up.

Hope you had a brilliant time.

Just one more thing ..... is SPACE in Ciutadella or Mahon ????

Rafafan :smile:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » September 8th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Hi Rafafan

It's in Ciutadella, but I believe the closing party night is on 15th September, so not too long left to try it out this year!

Sue :jozza:

Rafafan
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Rafafan » September 10th, 2012, 10:12 am

Hi Sue ..... thanks for that .... just got a bit confused (easily done :???: ) with LadyRose talking about the last bus back from Mahon !! Unfortunately won't be back in Menorca before 15th September :sad: and me & Mr Rafafan may be a little, er, how shall we put it ... 'mature' for Space anyway ... but, hey, never say never ... when on holiday ... and all that :grin: :barmy: However, I'm sure my Son and his girlfriend would most definitely be interested. Just suppose we'll all have to wait till next year. Regards .... Rafafan :smile: