Es Pla burnt to the ground!

Accommodation & Restaurant info for Fornells, Playa de Fornells and Ses Salines.
Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Es Pla burnt to the ground!

Post by Sue Adderley » February 2nd, 2016, 1:00 pm

Just discovered that restaurant Es Pla, the one right on the water's edge in Fornells, has burnt down to the ground! :shock: Thankfully, there aren't any casualties, as far as I know.

Very sad news! It wasn't one of our favourite eating places, but it was very popular, especially in summer, due to its location next to the sea. It was lovely inside too, lots of woodwork, which obviously went up like a rocket! Apparently it was due to re-open next week too. I just hope they manage to re-build it, or at least stop it looking like an absolute eyesore before the main season starts, as Fornells is such a pretty place, and this restaurant is in such a prime position.

Here's a link to Menorca Al Dia, with pics : - http://menorcaaldia.com/

Sue

rushstag
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Re: Es Pla burnt to the ground!

Post by rushstag » February 2nd, 2016, 2:12 pm

Good lord, that's dreadful, very sad to see. We always visit Fornells when we're on the island which has been every year since 2005.

As you say Sue, it will change the look of that part of Fornells for this year but hopefully the site can be regenerated soon and at least no-one was hurt (I assume)?

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » February 3rd, 2016, 11:43 am

No one was hurt.
What a terrible shame for Fornells. :sad:

http://menorca.info/menorca/sucesos/201 ... ign=buffer

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » February 3rd, 2016, 1:43 pm

The investigations as to how the fire started are now under way, and I've just been reading about the proprietor's rental terms.

Apparently there were only 15 months left to run on the lease, so it was due to end in April next year. The guy signed a 10 year lease in 2007, for the extortionate amount of over 43,000 Euros plus VAT per year! :shock: :shock:

Discussions are now under way to decide whether the proprietor can cancel his tenancy early, or whether the place can be re-built in time for the new season this year, or the lease can be extended, so it could carry on under his tenancy when the re-build is finally complete. The other option is, that they completely flatten the place and return the area back to a fishing harbour, to catch lobsters, which apparently was an idea that was thrown out of government before the licence for the restaurant was granted.

Obviously what struck me is, how on earth is an establishment with probably only 8 busy weeks per year supposed to rake in that amount (and provide wages for up to 50 staff)?? :eek:

I don't know about you, and I'm not suggesting anything untoward, but maybe the proprietor might just be hoping for the first option on my list of possible outcomes!

Sue :???:

carben
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by carben » February 3rd, 2016, 1:48 pm

It must be devastating for all concerned. A great loss. Let's hope it reopens in the near future!

18jsm
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by 18jsm » February 20th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Went to have a look last week, very sad but what an eyesore. Let's hope something is done quickly. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as Consey in Mahon ....
John

Santo T.fan
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Santo T.fan » April 23rd, 2016, 1:39 pm

Any updates from locals " on the ground"? What does it look like and are the palms badly damaged?

I see from http://menorca.info/menorca/sucesos/201 ... -fase.html that this week the Port Authority has decided to take over the removal of debris after the fire as the restarant owner has failed to do it within the 10 days time limit set a couple of weeks ago , so hopefully by the beginning of the summer tourist season that part of the waterfront will look much better. The newspaper article says that it is going to cost 18,000 euros which the owners/their insurers will be billed for in due course. I also see that the original idea of only clearing the charred debris now and leaving the rest of the demolition until after the summer season is over has been abandoned - good idea in my opinion