Son Parc Update

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Parc resort.
Darren Cheshire

Son Parc Update

Post by Darren Cheshire » June 25th, 2011, 9:20 am

We have just come back from our 2 weeks there and found the ersort to be quite but really nice.

We also stayed in a villaplus villa the Gabriel which was more than we expected. the first night we went to Rex's for the fish and chips as a quick and easy meal. They were initially reluctant to sell us them for take away stating that they usually dont do that but eventually they served us, 40 euro for 4 fish and chips.

We found the supermarkets in mahon to be the cheapest with Dia maxi next to lidl worth a look better selection and as cheap as lidl. We also went to the Hyper Clement which has a useful english section which with 2 children aged 3&4 was good at times. about £350 for two weeks which for 6 was not that bad.

There are 3 supermarkets in the resort the cheapest and best choice is the one closest to the golf course where the lake is good selection, one is on the strip which is fine and the other is attached to the hotel which is a spar and to be avoided really expensive little choice.

On the strip there was 2 cafes open 3 restaurants including Rex's a chinese called the Hong Kong and the Ca' n Pipa which when we went past seemed to be full but we were also told by the staff in Rex's that this restaurant was owned by the same person that owned the three hotels which were all inclusive and that the clients were allowed to ear there all they did was pay for their drinks so maybe a little false?

There is also the Pinomar which we also ate in everyone has siad that this was the best restaurant in the resort and we were also told that about 7 years ago you had to make a reservation to eat there. It was busy om the time that we went (2) but in all honesty nothing special dear for what it was.

There are also 5 bars the Half Moon which seemeed the liveliest, BJ's which was ok and Tots which we did not go in as the owner doesnt like children in his place perculiar that with such a name. thge other two wilsons and Daniels we didnt try so I cannot comment.

Everwhere we went a pint of local beer was 3 Euros and a short about 4 so not that cheap and no bar wars in Son Parc.!!

Car hire try Amber cars we got a really good deal over the internet. there are companies there such as owners club but they had literally upto 50 cars sat outside their office on some days too expensive and the euro car ion the strip if you fancy hiring a car in need of an MOT then go there all the cars looked to have seen better days.

The staff in Rex's told us on our second week that the resort was now all inclusive at the hotels and that they were running at 25% occupancy and that they were struggling and that they did not think that it would get any better.

The beach was the outstanding part of the holiday beautiful there, though if you want two sun beds abd a parasol it will set you back 15 euros or 10 after 3pm understandably there was no one on them.

Weather was excellent not one day of rain a little cloudy on the last day Thurs which was not that bad still red hot.

All in all we would go back to Son Parc and I would recommend it to anyone especially families couples not so but if you want a quite resort that is laid back then yes.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of booking there or is going there.

PS no atm's so take money as someone has said.

Regards

Darren

JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: Son Parc Update

Post by JanSchofield » June 25th, 2011, 9:29 am

Hi Darren, Glad you had a lovely holiday. thanks for taking the time to write such a great review. :supz:
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

Darren Cheshire

Post by Darren Cheshire » June 25th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Thanks Jan sorry about the typos and spelling.

Just for anybody elses info an example of prices milk at all the supermarkets was reasonable for the long life stuff, not good on the cereal in the morning and the two children wont touch it, so we bought the fresh menorcan stuff semi and full fat 1.65 euro a litre!! if you wanted the cravendale then that was 2.45 euro, even worse but the menorcan one is fine.

Bread a baguette is from 1.00 euro for freshly baked and a loaf was between 1.65 and 3.15 euros so more expensive but the kids needed it for toast.

A tin of beer at the supermarkets in resort was between 40 cents for Spar one (quite nice) and 70 cents for Mahou and Estrella Damm.

Wine was really resaonable at the two bigger supermarkets with a good selection the one attached to the hotel was small and dear.

Barbie stuff very daer locally so best getting into the car or bus (which I will mention in a bit) and go to Mahon to the bigger supermarkets same choice at both Lidl ans Dia Maxi.

I have read on the forum that the bus service was very hit and miss well I can say that they must have had a change of heart as the bus timetables were at the bus stops (outside main hotel) with the times locations and even the return time there and were really punctual and good.

I have just remembered on car rental we only had ours for 10 days from Amber Cars (highly recommended) so we went along to owners club to see about a zafira fro 2 days quoted more for two days than we had been for 10 with Amber no wonder they had so many cars just sat outside.

On a side note the six of us went to Rex's for a meal one night, resonable childs menu for 6 of us with 4 pints pf lager, 2 pints of cider and 2 childs drink it cost us 93 euros, I think that this was steep but my wife seems to think its ok.....

Regards

Darren

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » June 25th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Great report Darren, and glad you and your family had a great holiday. :finga: :finga:

Alan
:cool:

JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by JanSchofield » June 25th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Hey Darren, great review....don't worry about typo's......we all do them...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » June 27th, 2011, 2:50 pm

:razz: Many thanks, just what we needed, an up to date review of Son Parc, well done, and glad you enjoyed it :razz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

bridgey1

Post by bridgey1 » July 19th, 2011, 11:35 am

hi i think the reason for the not wanting to do fish and chips to take away is that it goes soggy same price to eat it there ,there are a few more bars and restaurants open this year on the strip but not many people.hopefully it will get better in high season,we go to Rex,s a lot and think the prices good ,son parc has a beutiful beach enough bars and restaurants with no waiting,chidren friendly the perfect place for a relaxing holiday

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » August 3rd, 2011, 8:28 am

Do you know after all my time in Menorca I have only found out a couple of weeks ago that if you go to Coinga.
That is the suppliers shop in Alaior Poligano.
One, you can always get fresh milk when it is so difficult every where else.
And it only costs 86 cents compared to 1.65 euros :shock:
No more turned milk for for me :grin: