My review Son Parc 2012

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Parc resort.
nightwaxon
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

My review Son Parc 2012

Post by nightwaxon » August 8th, 2012, 8:23 pm

OK, here's my review of our recent two week visit to Son Parc, staying at an apartment in Green Park Village, adjacent to the Golf Course.

Flights were out of City Airport with British Airways on Monday 23rd July. Flying BA is different gravy compared to the package cattle trucks, Thompson, Thomas Cook and "cheaper" alternatives like Easy Jet. Loads of leg room on a 100 seater jet with free breakfast! Steep take off banking over the Olympic Park back along the Thames then down over Kent, passing over Hythe down into France and onto Menorca. Cloudless the whole way save for the smoke from forest fires in the South of France. Landing was a bit wobbly due to gusty wind but apart from that, the smoothest flight I've ever had!

Picked up a car from Poppy Cars from the most laid back gentlemen I've ever dealt with and we made our way to our accommodation. A beautiful apartment with all facilities, but the air con was broken...how we suffered with that as the week went on. But the apartment was utterly spotless and very modern. Green Park Village is modern clean and ideal for younger families.

Out last visit to Son Parc was in 2006 and it was a lot quieter on this visit. Pinomar was superb with the shoulder of Lamb, Steak with Mahon Cheese and the Swordfish my favourites. It's the best restaurant in Son Parc by a mile! Also has free wireless as well which kept my kids and wife up to date with Facetube and the like!!!

Rex's was good as well, Ca N' Pipa was OK, nothing special, the Chinese was awful.... Greasy beyond belief and for a family of 4, Kids 14 & 12 the most expensive meal we had on the holiday at 70 euros and sadly the worst. We ate often in Fornells and loved the ambience of the restaurants on the harbour front. Fish was the order of the day along with grilled squid, sauté potatoes and Mediterranean vegetables.. delicious.Used the golf club bar for snacks mainly as the choice in the evening was extremely limited.

The beach bar was very overpriced. We sat down for a late lunch but having looked at the menu and being attacked by wasps we decided not to eat. Such a shame as it's a great location with a stunning view. The beach at Son Parc remains superb! There was a couple of days where the wind was from the North and caused a swell with some fairly big waves which my kids loved. Also, no sign of any jellyfishes this year as well.

Did the trek over the rocks to the secluded beach at Son Parc, WOW! Crystal clear warm water, boats all moored up with fish and starfish swimming around our feet. Truly amazing. My son and I saw some wild goats on our walk over there as well..We also visited Son Bou, still my favourite resort on the island, that day the temperature was in the high 90's and it was stifling. We also went to Cala Galdana on a Sunday and the place was PACKED! No room at all on the beach so we headed back to Son Parc. Shame as there looked a lot to do.

Mount Torro was visited along with the utterly delightful Es Grau. I could live there no problem at all.

The weather, Wow! Hot Hot hot. One day of cloud in the morning and our last day there was a small thunderstorm with a funnel cloud. Apart from that, utterly superb! The nights became unbearably hot without air conditioning so we had to have the French doors open and risk the wrath of the mosquitoes of which there were plenty. I've never known there to be so many of the buggers. Had to spray head to foot in Citronella for the evenings.

Overall a classic Menorcan holiday. We actually found eating out slight cheaper than out last visit to Son Bou in 2010. A meal for four of us with two soft drinks and two glasses of wine coming in between 50-60 euros. Not bad at all. The Strip in Son Parc is dying though. Very quiet. I assume it's because the beach club and Sol Parc apartments is now all inclusive. Had a nose around the latter and that was very quiet. Looks like poor Vicente, who kept my kids entertained there when they were younger has been given the bullet. None of the restaurants upstairs were open and our favourite, Sagitario Restaurant was closed. Something needs to be done to stop these AI places..

The South of the island was really busy, with the North quieter. That is to be expected. But Son Parc was very very quite and I worry for the longer term future of the resort. Would I go back to Son Parc, yes I would. A beautiful part of the island...

JanSchofield
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: My review Son Parc 2012

Post by JanSchofield » August 8th, 2012, 9:07 pm

:supz: :supz: great review nightwaxon...glad you had a good holiday. Thanks for coming back to tell us all abut it. :razz:
Feels good to be home :ele: :ele:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » August 8th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Fab review, was almost there....thanks!

Re the secluded beach, sounds like Cala Pudent, is that it? Haven't been there for a few years but lovely little beach and not too far to walk either.

Loved the reminder of Fornells and Es Grau- must try to fit in a visit to them both next time!

Thank you again nightwaxon....
:finga:
Trevx

ninny pig
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ninny pig » August 8th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Great report i really enjoyed reading it :finga:
You only live once, so live for now, enjoy everything, regret nothing.

nightwaxon
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by nightwaxon » August 8th, 2012, 11:10 pm

trevx wrote:Fab review, was almost there....thanks!

Re the secluded beach, sounds like Cala Pudent, is that it? Haven't been there for a few years but lovely little beach and not too far to walk either.

Loved the reminder of Fornells and Es Grau- must try to fit in a visit to them both next time!

Thank you again nightwaxon....
:finga:
Trevx
Yes it was Cala Pudent. My son and I like to have a bit of an explore and this was the perfect distance for him. The girls just sat by the pool all day. Alright for the odd day, but I get itchy feet.

maycontainuts
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by maycontainuts » August 9th, 2012, 11:12 am

Enjoyed reading your report , we too have stayed in green park village a couple of times , couldnt fault it . ( Dont know how you coped without air con though!) great location and peacefull. The beach is our favourite too after Son Bou. Its a toss up between Son Parc and Cala llonga next year for us . Roll on next May. :cool:

thetaz
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by thetaz » August 14th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Excellent report, made me really miss Son Parc, but we will be poping over in September a couple of times to play golf and catch with any changes.

For a chnage this year we are staying in Punta Prima, lets face all of the island is great :grin: