Resort and Villa dilemma - struggling with this

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Parc resort.
Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Resort and Villa dilemma - struggling with this

Post by Susan19 » March 15th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Hello :smile:

Incredibly quite forum, first thread this year does that indicate anything about the resort ?

I have flights booked for the end of the summer, and have seen three villas in Son Parc with Villa Plus and two in Addaya (a lot more expensive) with the owners direct site that might suit our party. Two fifty something's and three between 18 and 21 who just want to chill round water, eat and drink out, so no clubbing necessary

I like the look of the beach at Son Parc but dilemma is are there really enough decent restaurants without getting in a car every night ? I don't mind asking DH to drive to Fornells one or two nights but not all 7 as it's his holiday too and don't want to be wedded to the hire car.

Other alternative is Binibeca where we should have gone last year but family issues stopped us.

Final question at the end of the summer am I likely to get more stable weather on the South Coast than up at Son Parc/Addaya ?

I'm working my way through the Son Parc forum, read pages 5,4 and half of 3 and as the years are going on the resort seems to be getting quieter, we don't mind quite during the day as will be at the Villa with the odd trip to a beach but need a little restaurant life at night.

I really don't know what to do especially as I am always the organiser.

(Stayed in S'algar 2003 that's how we know Binibeca and Galdana for a week in 2010)
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Resort and Villa dilemma - struggling with this

Post by Slartibartfast » March 15th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Can't help much with Son Park, and as you say it does appear to getting less and less interest each year.

Binibequer I do know and I believe that there is more than enough to keep most going throughout their holiday even a two weeker, without too many trips out.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 15th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Thanks Slarti

Just hope someone sees this post who visits Son Parc nowadays, looking at the older posts on this forum there were a few regulars back in 2006 - 2008 but little comment since then. Would be great to get some up to date info but the area is not mentioned on many forums now.

Probably will end up in Binibeca on the basis of better be safe than sorry. When we were in S'algar for a fortnight when the kids were young we spent a lot of evenings in restaurants in Vell & Nou so feel like it's an area I'm familiar with.

Was trying to be a bit adventurous and liked the way the Son Parc villas seemed to be set in a pretty wooded area.

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » March 16th, 2014, 3:17 pm

I pop into Son Parc each year as I like the beach there( but do not stay) . AI/Economy has meant the restaurants have struggled, though they were never a plus point of the place IMO. I'd think about Binibeca as there are amazing restaurants close by if you get bored of what is on offer on foot.

Son Parc is still a resort 'waiting to happen' even though it was a major development project many years ago

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 16th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Thanks for replying beachstroller, I'm fast coming to the same conclusion myself from reading the historic posts on this site and sensing a resort that is getting quieter and quieter :sad: and which may take some years and investment to come back. We are not very demanding but would like a nice 3 or 4 bed villa with air con, pool and access to a fair selection of decent restaurants.

It's hard trying to find decent villas as you never know how old the photos on web sites are and some even look 'tired' in the photos they have put up.

I was busy sending off email enquiries for Binibeca and it's surrounding area when your post came in. Shame about Son Parc, might take a day trip there to check out the beach and go to the one recommended restaurant that appears to be in Addaya for lunch.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » March 16th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Hi Susan

It's definitely worth a trip to Son Park during the day. We've been coming to the island for years, and have become converts to the resort in the last year or so (without actually staying there).

The beach is fantastic, the water is warm, shallow and clear quite a long way out. It has the lovely dunes across the back, and is very picturesque, with pine trees, around the resort and the golf course.

Strangely, we seem to spend more time there during the quieter times like Easter, September, and even have a picnic there at Christmas, and either walk along the coast from Arenal D'en Castell, or to a pretty little beach called Cala Pudent.

There was still a couple of bars/restaurants open there when we visited during the first week of October last year, and we had a good walk around the resort discovering more places than we realised existed. However, as it was the end of the season, most of them were closed, and I wouldn't like to comment on how many of them actually open up during the main season.

As the island's so small, it's very easy to visit lots of different places, and get a feel for other resorts than the one you're staying in.

Happy hols!

Sue :cool:

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 16th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Hi Sue :smile:

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like a lovely place for a day out. After I found the 3 villa plus villas, I surfed for pictures and it was the stunning beach that made me think how lovely it would be to have that in walking distance, but the reality was they were all a minimum of 1.75 km from the beach anyway.

We will have a hire car whatever resort we finally fix on, so I think a day trip if we can fit it in would be good - can't be lazy for the whole holiday ! As you say nowhere is far it's just a matter of motivating yourself once you (hopefully) start to relax. I really need to get my act together and find us a suitable villa, going boss eyed looking at them, and then forgetting what I have looked at and what I haven't.

x x x

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » March 16th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Maybe even try staying away from the resorts and explore the real Menorca. :grin:

jonandsally
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by jonandsally » March 17th, 2014, 2:38 pm

The restaurant to go to in Son Parc is the Pinomar,very nice ,good value and usually busy with both English and Spanish which tells you something.
For a night out and a few drinks BJs is the place,quizzes,bingo ,music,a good family pub
Another place to eat is Phils(tots bar)
Now Phil himself is a tad shall we say eccentric,I personally found him fine,and the food itself is a relevation
,the best food I have had in Menorca.
He has a quiz once a week which is fun while eating your meal.
There is also the golf club which can be good
Finally the beach bar itself was a restaurant last year which many said was very good.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 17th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Thanks johnandsally :smile: do you stay at Son Parc itself of just visit ?

If you stay are you in villas and familiar with the area they are in ? (Sorry for all the questions)