Resort and Villa dilemma - struggling with this

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Parc resort.
jonandsally
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Re: Resort and Villa dilemma - struggling with this

Post by jonandsally » March 18th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Hi Susan,
Yes we have stayed at green park village for the last 8 years, it is opposite the golf course. We like you want to just relax, read and sit by the pool. We usually go to either the local beach or drive to other beaches in the morning maybe have lunch at the beach bar or find somewhere to eat then go back to our apartment in the afternoon and relax around the pool
Of course there is a regular bus service and then maybe you could get a cab back, because a restaurant that is well worth a visit on the road into Fornells is C'an a Marga a favourite of ours and of course there are many restaurants actually in Fornells which is only about a 10-15 minute drive away.
Sally doesn't drink so she drives us wherever.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 18th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Thanks again, well Son Parc must have something if you have been that many times :finga:

So many resorts, so little time ! Note to self must make more effort to get away more often.
S'algar : summer 2003
Cala Galdana : summer 2010
Cala Galdana : summer 2014
? ? ? ? : summer 2015

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » March 19th, 2014, 7:58 am

Is there some reason you are intent in staying at Son Parc ??

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » March 19th, 2014, 4:29 pm

The beach at Son Parc is so nice because it is protected and left natural . Most of the villas are away from the beach in the wooded hillsides (or Golf are ) which is lovely but the compromise is the getting to/from the beach. The accommodation around the the north side of the Golf course means it is easier to walk to commercial area/beach,but I think the villas you saw were probably in the hillsides? What I meant by 'still waiting to happen' was - it was built quite a while a go, promoted, lots of building plots still not built on - never seemed to gain critical mass-it is a great location if you have a car.

They built low rise hotels and apartments at the spot where the beach access is - so the alternative is hire an apartment :-)?

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 19th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Thanks for explaining the layout sandstroller :smile: I have clicked on various map links on Villa websites to get a view. Can't really have an apartment as five adults. I need a minimum of 3 bed 2 bath, but possibly 4 bed 3 bath as some of these are a similar price.

Not really ladyrose just that I happened to see three villas there that suited the requirements of our group at a reasonablish price and I quite liked the idea of being in a wooded area (I live near a forest in the uk), but two of the villas are the last ones in the development they are halfway to Arenal!

Also seriously considering Binibeca as there are a lot of high spec villas there at not bad prices and would also be happy to go back to Cala Galdana but it is more expensive there.

I like the idea of Binibeca as would be near to Mahon; sometimes Cala Galdana seems a bit remote, like you go down that that road from Ferrerias for 7 kilometres and it's too much of a haul to get out again.

I don't know anything about Son Parc at all so I guess that was why I was asking, I wanted to get a feel for the place from people who had actually stayed there or at least visited for the day.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » March 19th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Son Parc should have been one of Menorcas gems, it has all the ingredients. Quite, great beach, spacious, no high rise... But some how it missed out.

Its a pity its gone down hill, we used to visit two or three times on our holls. I think it started when one, maybe two of the complexes were sold to a German company who tried AI. The UK tour ops had lost the UK business after a couple of years of cold start and end to the seasons. They would/could not supply heaters and blankets so a lot of holiday makers nearly froze to death, and the sale didn't work either as it never took off in the German market.

Perhaps the Ruskies will take it on :lol:
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 19th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Oh dear that doesn't sound too promising they absolutely adore AI far more so that Brits from the experience I have of them in other Country's - never leave the confines of the hotel. There will be even less choice of independent restaurants, bars and cafes. :sad: don't think that will help the likes of Son Parc or Minorca in general.

oldseadog
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by oldseadog » March 20th, 2014, 10:49 pm

How you would think of going to S-P after Galdana is amazing :roll:
but then I am biased :lol:

OSD
Old Sea-dog.
Still looking for my next boat
looks like it may be a canal barge now ?

1994 - 1st time at Tony's Restaurant, just past the old Gavilanes.
Great food and views. especially at night.

Susan19
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Susan19 » March 20th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Probably because I've not been there so I don't know what it is or isn't like. It might be as nice as Cala Galdana for all I know. :smile:

However there is something very comforting about being able to walk to Es Barranc, Sa Lluna, Alaska, Cala Mitjana, Meson Murciano et al from your accommodation. There aren't many places where you can walk to enough good restaurants to last a week which is always a plus for us. Assuming they are all still in business.

Jetski13

Post by Jetski13 » April 7th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Not sure if you have made a final decision as to where to stay. The villas in Son Parc are set in beautiful locations and Son Parc has one of the best and safest beaches on the island. The introduction to Menorca of the all inclusive holiday several years ago not only affected Son Parc, but to most of the resorts across the island. This has led to many bars and restaurants only operating from mid May through to the end of September.

In Son Parc, BJ's bar, Pinomar, Tots Restaurant, Cafetin Cafe/snack bar, the Beach Club bar/restaurant and the golf club restaurant are open from May through to the end of October.

The golf club and BJ's open all year round. BJ's is open from 1st May to 31st October from midday until late and has regular live music, quizzes, themed fiestas and shows all live sports on Giant screen and has free WIFI. It is a warm and welcoming pub and appeals to all age groups.

Hiring a car is a must, as Menorca is the most beautiful island to explore and has a lot to offer.