New development plan given green light

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Parc resort.
Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

New development plan given green light

Post by Sue Adderley » May 12th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Hi All

Just seen the following report on the Menorca.info website. I've translated it on Google translate, which is always a bit hit and miss, but basically it says they're going to build hotels, apartments and a shopping complex around Son Parc golf course, and the work will apparently start in October, and take no more than THREE YEARS!

No sure what the government think this will achieve, but there you go!

Here's the plan : -

Es Mercadal approves new large residential complex in the urbanization of Son Parc. Gives green light to the project , valued at 10.6 million , after reducing growth by 60 %

Almost 15 years after the project had input in the municipality of Es Mercadal and after ten years of meticulous processing, the Local Government Board yesterday gave the green light to macrourbanización Son Parc Four luxury hotels, 491 villas on plots of 1,200 to 1,500 meters, a residence of high performance sports and shopping center of 23,800 meters around the golf course which will involve the creation of 2,823 seats and revalued the attractiveness of tourist center .

The first step is the proposed development of 1.632.050 square meters affected , a work budgeted at 10,627,080 euros that the developer will begin in October , with labor locally and must be completed no later than three years . Then come the hotels of four and five star hotels , with capacities from 264 to 384 seats per room, which includes a total of 1,350 beds. The first, whose facade presented the image of Sa Naveta des Tudons , it is raised in the middle of the golf course.

Then the 491 units , of which 46 are single family and condominium rest will be built until other build 1,473 residential places . In total , 2,823 new jobs, 5,200 less than initially estimated in the 1999 project , which has been well trimmed its growth expectations by 60 percent.

Sue :shock:

jonandsally
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Re: New development plan given green light

Post by jonandsally » July 8th, 2014, 11:49 pm

We'll it sounds like little old Son Parc will be changed beyond recognition
Will be there in August and am relieved building work not due to start till October
It's nice and quiet when we go,imagine the disruption with loads of Builders lorries thundering up and down the road
May have to re evaluate future holiday plans

missy82
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by missy82 » September 2nd, 2016, 9:58 am

I know this is an old post. But have these works been completed? We have not been to son parc before and would like to see it, when we come out in a few weeks

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » September 2nd, 2016, 11:35 am

Dream on, this menorca !! Manana, manana......nothing has happened yet.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

missy82
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by missy82 » September 2nd, 2016, 12:09 pm

haha I thought as much! when we come out in a few weeks time, we are definitely hiring a car and exploring. my better half and I would like to see the golf club is one of the boxes to tick.... not just listening to the sea at cala'n porter however much we love it!

moloko

Post by moloko » September 13th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Oh dear,we have just returned from our first visit to Son Parc and whilst i can see there is scope for some small scale development to help the local bars,shops and restaurants, I think the lovely laid-back ambience of the beach will be lost and before you know it the Cala Bassa Beach Club will rock up and flatten the dunes behind the beach!.
I thought Menorca could be the new old Ibiza,and i suppose it can be if you splash out a couple of million on a Sunseeker,for the rest of us another affordable little gem will be lost forever,thats the problem with precious things,everyone wants a piece .Ah such is life.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » September 14th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Posted Mon May 12, 2014 ... he developer will begin in October
Two years later and ......

Hi Moloka and Welcome to MenorcaTalk. Before you post the last rights of a once peaceful resort you must remember that this is Menorca and just because "Plans have been passed" does not mean that these plans will be [allowed to be] processed.

Plans and even infrastructure have been put in place in other resorts, Son Bou being a prime example, and then 30+ years down the line .... nothing. So until that shopping centre/beach club/5*hotel and the zillions of villas/apartments have actually been built I wouldn't write Son Parc off.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » September 18th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Had to laugh, I posted the original piece on Son Parc 2 years ago, and obviously it was all pie in the sky, as the ridiculous main road project has started (and halted) since then, and is being rebirthed next year I believe, so where the money for all this development in Son Parc is going to come from, I really don't know!

Also saw in the news recently that permission for a new hotel in Santo Tomas has been granted, but again, is anyone going to take this project on, when realistically July and August are the only 2 busy months for tourism? I doubt it!

I reckon they should forget all the new development projects and concentrate on tarting-up the existing places!

Sue :partyman: