Back to Arenal again!!

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Arenal d'en Castell, Na Macaret, Coves Noves and Port Addaya resort area.
chrisandclare
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Back to Arenal again!!

Post by chrisandclare » August 1st, 2015, 8:50 am

Hi everyone I just wanted to firstly say thanks to everyone who runs this site and contributes it's great! I'm really posting to share my excitement as we arrive in arenal in a months time once again. I started almost 25 years ago as a child with my family and then a few years ago started coming with my wife who loved it just as much as I do. Now we have not been for a couple of summers due to the birth of our daughter but now she is ready for her first fortnight in arenal! I can't wait to see her enjoy it as much as I always have. One of the things I love most about the island is how it's not changed a massive amount since I first came. Have a great summer everyone

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Back to Arenal again!!

Post by Sunseaker » August 4th, 2015, 10:21 am

:grin: Have a great holiday as a family :grin:
I only let him think he's in charge.

smudgersmiff

Post by smudgersmiff » September 2nd, 2015, 11:33 am

Good to hear your experiences of Arenal. We two are fans & have been for about 15 years. We love Aguamarina as well. The holidays in the past have been great & we love the island. The bay is fabulous & because of this we spend many hours in the day swimming. A few times we have had jellyfish in the bay which can be difficult, I would like to know from anyone if there has been a problem with medusa this year.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » September 3rd, 2015, 12:54 pm

Hi

We returned a few weeks ago, after spending a fortnight on the island, and we spent hours swimming on the North (including Arenal) and South of the island and didn't see a single medusa, I'm glad to report!

However, that doesn't mean you should get complacent, as there can always be the odd one lurking in the depths, as I painfully found out 3 years ago! We'd been over there at Easter, Whitsun, and in the Summer and hadn't seen one jellyfish (and we spend hours in the sea), but on the first day of our late September holiday I got caught out by, I'm sure, the ONLY medusa in the Med!

Keep 'em peeled!

Sue :toasting:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » September 3rd, 2015, 1:36 pm

That's happened to me too Sue.

First day of our last few hols I've got stung and then not seen another one the rest of the hol. OH reckons I act as a deterrent- or the medusa equivalent of a fly paper!!

As long as you're not badly stung and you treat the sting area correctly, I've found 'em less troublesome than mozzie bites. I've had the odd bite from those blighters over the years that have required antihistamine treatment, including one on the eye lid which required a trip to the medical centre in Alaior :evil:

trevx

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » September 3rd, 2015, 6:19 pm

Ooh, nasty Trev, don't like the sound of that! :shock:

Mine was pretty bad, to be fair, because I panicked when the beast stung me on the stomach, and my natural instinct was to swot it away with the back of my hand (idiot)! So the one on my stomach wasn't too bad, but my fingers were a right mess, as the barbs went in deep because of the force used. My fingers swelled so badly I couldn't get my rings off, and the pain and itching drove me so mad that I had to sleep with an ice pack on my hand for a week. I got some cream from the chemists, but it was pretty strong stuff, so I could only put it on every 4 hours. I still have the scars 3 years later!

Evil things!

smudgersmiff

Post by smudgersmiff » September 4th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Hi Sue & Trev

Thanks for your experiences. We do like to travel all over the island & looking at the details of the sea reserve area near Falo De Cavaliera & the different BIG fish found in the area I think we are very lucky that we have only medusa stings to report. The island is a gem no pain without gain. :barmy: :lol: :lol:

trevx
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by trevx » September 4th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Owww Sue, your medusa experience sounds awful :sad:

Only 1 of my stings left a scar; I treat them all with immediate application of a cooler block wrapped in plastic bag (the cooler bag always goes to the beach!) which relieves the pain and breaks down the poison, limiting its spread. I got this info years ago and have found it works.
Posted the advice in full somewhere on the site.

Hope I've not confused: it was the mozzie bites I was referring to that needed antihistamine/ medical attention. For about 3 days the one on the eye made me look like I'd been punched...OH got a few accusing looks!

Have a good hol Smudger and let us know if you see any medusa.

trevx

smudgersmiff

Post by smudgersmiff » September 8th, 2015, 11:01 am

Starting holiday on the 15-09 will let you know trevx. :spazzies: :supz:

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » September 9th, 2015, 7:21 am

Better take a look at this mornings paper.

http://menorca.info/menorca/local/2015/ ... norca.html