Back from our 12th visit

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the inland towns of Sant Lluis, Alayor, Mercadal, Ferrerias and anywhere else not covered above.
hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Back from our 12th visit

Post by hodghegs » August 8th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Just returned from a wonderful 2 weeks at a villa we rent in Binixica, near Sant Climent (a real gem, via Owners Direct). We had a family of tortoises living in the gardens this year, which made the holiday even better than previous visits. Another plus was a Hoopoe which arrived like clockwork most afternoons.

As early risers, my husband and I spent several mornings walking up the back road to Tres Pans in Sant Climent for our morning pastries, bread and croissants, returning home long before our teenage son had woken up. 4 miles in just over an hour as the sun rose - really enjoyable.

The sun shone for 2 weeks apart from one cloudy, cool morning which saw us exploring Sa Nitja, Far de Cavalleria and Far de Favaritx. We had stunning views of red kites hunting directly over the road near Cavalleria.

I wasn't as happy with Son Bou beach this year, especially not liking the Witbit thing in the sea (though I realise it isn't there to make me happy and I'm sure the kids using it enjoyed it). Es Grau was our beach of choice this year and we had several excellent days there with lunchtime snacks at the beach bar under the tamarind trees.

We ate out several times at C'an Bernat on the Son Vitamina roundabout, always excellent and with lots of lovely Sa Forana wine from the vineyard in Sant Climent.

Had an awful meal at Pierro's in Mahon, the waiter brought the wrong food (we'd only ordered pizza, not difficult), my correct food took an half a hour extra to arrive and then he cleared my husband and sons plates while I was still eating. We saw he forgot to bring drinks to the people on the next table. I will find somewhere else for a pizza and cerveza in future. :sad:

Enjoyed visiting Ciutadella as always and the butcher at Hyper Centro supermarket in Mao was the most helpful person I've met there, selling us the most gorgeous fresh chicken, sausages,burgers and steaks for a couple of bbq's. With a combination of a bit of Menorcan and lots of sign language we ended up with lovely food.

Up in Fornells, we went to the Jaleo which was as impressive as always but would have been nicer if there'd actually been some gin in the pomada we bought :partyman:

Already booked for next July :rock:

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Back from our 12th visit

Post by watta » August 8th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Excellent report and thanks for your time in reporting back. :finga: :finga:

So roll on 2015 then. :supz: :toasting:

Alan
:cool:
:blue: :blue: :blue: :partyman: :partyman: :dream:

:cool: :smile: :yawinkle:

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » August 8th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Forgot to say hire car from Poppy Cars again, perfect as always and that my son and husband completed their PADI Open Water Diver certificates with S'Algar Diving. Great service and professionalism.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » August 8th, 2014, 9:01 pm

:razz: Sounds like you all had a great holiday, and well done to your husband and son. :supz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 9th, 2014, 9:53 am

Enjoyed reading your review Hodghegs, but please tell me what the 'Witbit' at Son Bou is! I'm imagining some sort of inflatable caterpillar bobbing about in the sea, I'm sure it's not that though! :???:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

Annie41
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Annie41 » August 9th, 2014, 11:55 am

Lovely account of your visit, I really enjoyed reading it!

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » August 9th, 2014, 12:13 pm

The Witbit (I may have the name wrong) is a giant, inflatable thing, anchored about 25 metres out in the sea with slides etc. not my cup of tea.

I think this is their website, it is actually a Wibit http://www.wibitsports.com/?gclid=CK2zl ... tAodpAsAiQ

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » August 9th, 2014, 2:23 pm

:oops: I think I would rather enjoy playing on it :lol: :lol:
I only let him think he's in charge.

Dandelion
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Dandelion » August 9th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Thanks for explaining the Witbit, Hodghegs, I was thinking along the right lines then! It must have been lovely having tortoises in your garden, we've not been lucky enough to spot any on our trips to Menorca so far, (apart from the ones at Lloc de Menorca zoo), will keep looking though :smile:
The best way to avoid criticism is never do anything ever. Or, do what you love, have a great life and let others spend their time criticising. RICKY GERVAIS

Jack Regan
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Jack Regan » August 27th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Awright, darlin'. Ya wanna know where to see a tortoise? As soon as I've got these toe-rags banged-up, I'll come rarnd your place and show you me........

Sorry about that, Dandelion. What I was intending to say is that Piccolo Mondo in Alcafaur has tortoises living in a garden area next to its terrace.

Jack