Coinhive.com warning

Having trouble posting, Forum not behaving, Not sure where to post, and all other forum related questions.
kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Coinhive.com warning

Post by kieronf » October 4th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Starting today I have been getting a malware alert when accessing the site (and when jumping between different posts/topics) warning of a Coinhive.com alert. This seems to be some form of malware used by money scammers. I have checked my system thoroughly so the problem might be with the forum server. The alert is only for this site - no others.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coinhive.com warning

Post by Slartibartfast » October 4th, 2017, 11:53 pm

What is giving the malware alert?

Which browser are you using?

I'll look into it in the morning.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » October 5th, 2017, 9:08 am

Malware Bytes

IE 11

....................... Not there this morning - how odd.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » October 5th, 2017, 10:20 am

The Coinhive Miner Trojan is commonly bundled with other free programs or browser extensions that you download off of the Internet. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed Coinhive Miner without your knowledge.

Once this malicious program or browser extension is installed, the Coinhive Miner will inject an in-browser Monero miner from coin-hive.com/lib/coinhive.min.js
I wonder if the java code could be in some of the google ads? I have had rouge ads before.

What a coincidence, I was watching a security videocast only last night https://twit.tv/shows/security-now one of the subjects was crypto currency mining in web browsers which is what Coinhive does.

On a side note a few years back Steve Gibson [Security now] did a program on mining bitcoin. He left the mining software running over night and ended up with 50 bitcoins which were worth only a few cents. Last night he said that he still had them .... today's value $207.700.50 :shock:

in 2010 1 bitcoin = $0.06 today 1 bitcoin = $4154.00

With hind sight... I look at mining them when they first became popular, but the value wasn't worth work involved, If I had .... :cry:

I will be taking the site off line later today while I check all the files for anything that shouldn't be there. I also have an update which I'll do.

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » October 8th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thanks Steve for getting the site up & running. I have a problem when looking at imbedded quotes now - there seems to be a lot of quotes - is it me or is it you?!?

Dave

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » October 8th, 2017, 5:56 pm

davethebirder wrote:
October 8th, 2017, 3:41 pm
Thanks Steve for getting the site up & running. I have a problem when looking at imbedded quotes now - there seems to be a lot of quotes - is it me or is it you?!?

Dave
Oh I see .......... :???: