Electricity charges

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Electricity charges

Post by magpie69 » May 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Hi
Arrived on May 10th but have only now looked closely at the electricity bills for over the winter and am a bit alarmed at them.
Over the last year, the potentia (supply?) charge seems to have more than doubled to 0.115. We have used no electricity over the winter so the consuming cost is nil. If the charges are correct and continue at the current rate, I will be paying nearly €600 per year just for connection! Has anyone any suggestions about whether this can be reduced? I will go into the Endesa office in Mahon to ask but wonder if others have noticed the increase.
Can I have the supply cut off between Octber and April, for instance?
It's worrying as, much as we love Our apartment the costs of keeping it for just a few weeks use each year are becoming prohibitive.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Bill

Uncle Bert

Re: Electricity charges

Post by Uncle Bert » May 28th, 2014, 3:43 pm

I've checked my bills, and the rate I'm being charged at appears to have gone up too. Until September last year I was paying a potencia charge of 0.060 per day, but on our latest few bills it has risen to 0.093 (Nov 13), then 0.097 (Jan & April 14) and finally 0.115 from this month (May). A quick calculation reveals that in our case this will equate to an annual connection charge (potencia) of roughly €193 in total. As you say, this is equivalent to almost a 100% increase, and it's also worrying that the rate appears to have increased on 3 out of our last 4 bills.

Your figure of €600 therefore seems rather excessive, unless you have a larger property than ours. Ours is a townhouse with 3 bedrooms in Alaior, and our contracted level of power supply (potencia contratada) is 4.6kw. This level of supply is adequate for the number of appliances/lights we normally need, and can be adjusted up or down to suit through Endesa. Could your 'potencia contratada' be higher than you actually need?
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

Take me home to the place I belong - ALAIOR, MENORCA!!

sanjaime
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by sanjaime » May 28th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Bill - Agree with Uncle Bert, you may have made an error in your calculations...

Just looked at a recent Endesa bill - 04/02 to 01/04/2014.
- Consumo Medido = 0 (No usage as no occupation of our 3 bed room apartment)
- Potencia 5,75 kW x 56 x 0,115187 € /kW y DIA = 37.09 € (56 days connection charge)

Therefore at this rate for 365 days we will be paying around 242 € in connection charges in 2014.
In English money about £200 per year connection charges.

Our apartment is not used November to late April say 160 days, so in theory a saving of over 100€ could possibly be made.

However I guess it's not worth the hassle of disconnection & re-connection along with all the Endesa charges for these engineering services and administration, as I think you will find out from your visit to the Endesa Office.

SJ

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » May 28th, 2014, 9:16 pm

I agree with Uncle et al. It is getting out of hand! But then it is the same with the Water, Banks etc. Is there an equivalent of Ofgen, FSA etc. in Spain, who are supposed to be looking after the consumers?

Dave

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » May 29th, 2014, 11:29 am

Thanks for replies - they are really helpful. Just been into the Endesa office (which has changed location twice since our last visit there) and their computer system was down(!) but the girl was quite helpful. She was surprised that our potencia was so high (9.2kw) and suggested lowering this. We hadn't realised until reading your posts that ours was that high. We have a 2 bed apartment with electric oven, hob and a/c in 3 rooms. Any suggestion as to what would be the lowest adequate potencia?
Apparently it would be possible to cut off then re-connect with a week's notice in each case. Reconnection fee about €50, but might be a bit too much hassle. It might be possible to change to a very low potencia while not there then revert to normal on arrival, but I don't know how easily this might be done

Thanks again and any further advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Uncle Bert

Post by Uncle Bert » May 29th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you are gradually getting things sorted. I'd be interested in hearing whether its possible to lower the potencia for given periods during the year - even better if the change can be done/requested online. Please keep us posted about this.
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » May 29th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Hi uncle Bert et al
We have just returned from Endesa office where we reduced our potencia to 4.6kw. Apparently this is now fixed for a year - no possibility of doing what we hoped, lowering it for 6 months. There is a charge of 9 or 10 euros for the change.
We looked on the Endesa web site which has a calculator which allows you to assess what potencia you need for your home and it came up with the 4.6 value, so we have gone with that. The frustrating thing is that this means we have been paying twice as much for the actual supply as we should have been for the last 8 years since buying the apartment! I don' t know who would have decided the potencia initially, but I wish they had consulted us to clarify our needs. Anyhow, we'll see how the coming year's bills compare.
It might be worth people having a look at the Endesa calculator to see if their supply is greater than necessary, especially as the daily rate has increased so dramatically.
Thanks again for your help.

Bill

Uncle Bert

Post by Uncle Bert » May 29th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Here's a link direct to the calculator Bill refers to.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... e-potencia

That's the beauty of this website. One member has a problem, and asks for help. Others share their knowledge/experiences, and hey presto, between us we find a 'solution' which could result in many others saving money in the longer term. Long live Menorca-net!
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » May 29th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Hear hear Mike and hope you 'guys' get this sorted aok. :finga: :finga:

Alan
:cool:

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » May 29th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I don't get a bill that often, but money comes out of the bank every couple of months, I will definitely have a look at this, as the electric does seem expensive, I thought it was higher as I had a di humidifier running, :smile:
The next Moderator