Electricity charges

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Electricity charges

Post by Sue Adderley » June 20th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Don't mention those robbing barstools!

We signed up with them in the UK on a 'special fixed-price deal', then they put our payments up! We ended up nearly 500 nicker in credit, which we still haven't been able to get back off them, despite switching to another company in April. I gave readings for our final bill, which they disputed with our new energy provider, this delays the final bill, resulting in them keeping our dosh in their bank account even longer (along with another £45 billon from other poor unsuspecting suckers like us)!.

Our new energy provider charges us £80 a month less than Scottish Power, and gives us 3% interest on any credit.

Will NEVER use SP again! :evil:

binibecadel

Post by binibecadel » June 28th, 2014, 11:19 am

Can anyone please tell me where the Endesa office has moved to in Mahon
del

Boycie
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Boycie » June 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm

I am sure It was near to the bus station.
Always on my way to Menorca

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » June 28th, 2014, 3:30 pm

The address is Carretera de Ciutadella, 77-79 Mahon [a continuation of the ME1 Ciutadella <=> Mahon road]

Google maps street view => https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.89057 ... e0!6m1!1e1
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » June 29th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Oh no it isn't!
We went to the old office near the bus station and it was closed, so we asked in a business nearby where the new location is and we're given the Carrer Cuitadella directions. Walked there - a good walk away - only to find a notice on the door telling us it had moved again - to within 100metres of the original office. The new location is a few metres along the Carrer Maria Lluisa Serra, a street more or less opposite the original site
Good hunting

Bill

rbonilla
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by rbonilla » August 1st, 2014, 1:41 pm

Well, I found this a interesting topic. I purchased my apartment in 2006 in Es migjorn,the apartment was a new build. At no time was I advised with regards to Electricity usage/calculation of the potencia. My original potencia was fixed at 9.2 Kw.
Having read all the posts on this subject ,I checked my bills, I used the calculator on the Endesa web site ( as recommended by Uncle Bert) and it calculated that my potencia should be 4.6 KW. I went to the Endesa office in July when I was over there and challenged the tarrif. I have now signed a new contract at 4.6 Kw. Like a lot of people, my place is only occupied maximum 6 weeks a year. It is annoying that I have been paying twice what I should have been paying for the last 8 years, but the subject is so confusing. I am waiting for my next bill to do a comparison.
It goes to show how useful a forum like this can be. Thanks to everyone for their input

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » August 1st, 2014, 11:22 pm

Having initiated this thread, I thought I should update you on progress. The last two bi- monthly bills we had were about €70 on 1st April and €96 on June 1st. Just looked at the bill paid out today, and it's as €41! Result!
Hope all you others who may have changed your potencia have a similar reduction.

Bill

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » August 2nd, 2014, 1:32 pm

:supz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » August 21st, 2016, 4:03 pm

Hi all, just looking for any updates since the last 2014 postings:

i Just to make sure ( I think so ) the contracted Potencia ( with the varying rate ) is the standard charge WITHOUT any consumption?

ii Has anyone used the change Potencia link on the Endesa Website to actually do a Potencia Change? Does it set off a visit to your property to check your wiring etc . I know Endesa love to find extra income!

iii. If I had a Potencia say 2.54 Kw that is theoretically too low ( according to website caklculator ) for all the appliances to be switched on at the same time what happens? the ICP activates ( ie the ICP is specific to a Potencia ) or it continues to work but your consumption goes up ( endesa cannot detected the increase or?) . Obviously we are looking to upgrade the Potencia to cover summer months for more appliances than currently but trying to avoid the increased standard charge which are probably a lot more than the consumption charges with the new appliances?

iv Does anyone know an Endesa authorised electrician that would work in the Es Castell area?

vi Anyone use an inline day timer to switch on/off a water heater? never seen them on sale

Thanks in advance

Jen

magpie69
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by magpie69 » August 21st, 2016, 5:41 pm

To answer what I can;
1. Yes, this relates to the standing charge
2. An electrician from Endesa came to change ours, but didn't check any other wiring.
3. If the potentia is too low, the circuit will 'trip out' so you will need to re-set it
4. Sorry, no contacts in EC
5. We bought one (from Palliser I think) and use it to only have the boiler on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon this gives us all the hot water we need, certainly in the summer months.

Hope this helps

Bill