Electricity charges

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: Electricity charges

Post by ciaran » February 9th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Thanks for the link Shuggie, but I may go in and see them next week, they said I could modify my allocation of electricity by reducing from 5.5kw to 4.6kw, but I can't modify it online, :smile:
The next Moderator

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » March 14th, 2018, 7:19 pm

I have applied to lower my potencia to 4.6 kw, my bills are more than double last years, the habitable situation hasn't changed , empty property with pool 159 euros, we have now took metre readings & have shut everything down, :smile:
The next Moderator

Walsh152

Post by Walsh152 » October 7th, 2018, 1:23 am

You should should all check you bills to date,you will be unpleasantly surprised what it's costing NOW IN 2018.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » November 27th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Does anyone have any experience of the electric supplier called ‘Iberdrola’ I’ve just done a comparison search and their 2 year fixed deal ‘Energy Wallet Iberdrola - 2 anos’ seems to be the best deal at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with IBERDROLA ?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » November 28th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Not personally, I was going to change to Scottish power when we lived there, they were offering a very good deal compared with others. But on looking on mainland ex-pats forums there was a raft of complaints. Ranging from cocked up billing, taking money out of bank accounts multiple times being left with no supply endasa stopped supply but Scottish power forgot they were taking over. Its not just about €€€€'s sometimes.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » November 29th, 2018, 12:53 am

Iberdrola is part of Scottish power.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » November 29th, 2018, 8:21 am

Yes, having done some research they own Scottish Power, I think I’ll give them a try.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

davefking
2 Star Supporter
2 Star Supporter

Post by davefking » July 27th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Hi all. Getting closer to our dream move to Menorca. Now looking into the "hidden" costs of living out there and we were informed that electricity charges (and water) might be a bit of a shock, hence my research here. At the time of writing the cost per kWh is pretty much the same as we are paying in the UK at 0.23 euro per kWh. I'm a bit thick here but could anyone please tell me what Potencia actually means? I'm reading about people dropping to 4.4Kw for example. Am I correct in saying that this is the top amount of electricity that can be used in a household at any one moment of time?

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » July 27th, 2019, 1:14 pm

You are correct. The higher your potencia the more stuff you can have running. I had 8 girls staying at my place one summer and as they got ready to go out for the night they couldn’t understand why the electric kept tripping off. They had the oven on, water heater was flat out as they had showers, kettle was going, multiple hair dryers going......all a massive pull of power.

It depends what size of house you want and what you want to run. Invest in solar hot water heaters and you’ll save a heap of money on electric and be able to have a much lower potencia. More potencia = higher daily supply charge.

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » July 27th, 2019, 1:51 pm

You also have to factor in unforeseen consumption such as pool pump motors, water irrigation pumps, electric front gates, aircon units etc - all things that you would never use at home but will all be in daily use here for a good part of the year. If you want to do some research, the principal supplier here is Endesa - https://www.endesaclientes.com/grandes- ... cidad.html