Heating a small villa

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Empire01
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Heating a small villa

Post by Empire01 » September 11th, 2015, 6:57 am

We own a small 1970s villa, which we've used in the spring summer and autumn. But this year would like to visit in the winter months (we'll check no storms on its way beforehand).
Could anyone suggest a suitable form of heating. Could we get by with a fan heater or do we really need to think about a wood burner?
Any advice appreciated.
Rob

Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Re: Heating a small villa

Post by Shuggie » September 11th, 2015, 7:56 am

You could go and buy a couple of gas fires, about €110 for the fire and then you'll need the gas bottle obviously. If you are going to spent more than a few weeks here I would recommend a wood burner. I'm off to buy one this morning, cost about €1400 for a 11kw one.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » September 11th, 2015, 8:18 am

I think that unless you are staying for a long time it will not be cost worthy to buy a wood burner.
Better off with a super ser.

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » September 11th, 2015, 10:48 am

Your biggest enemy is more likely to be the damp during the winter. I'd suggest if you chill easily having an electric blanket on the bed too, and maybe a couple of electric radiators/heaters.

Dan :cool:
Last edited by Globetrotter on September 11th, 2015, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Empire01
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by Empire01 » September 11th, 2015, 11:13 am

Thanks for the help. Shuggie, does the €1400 include installation?

dream.island
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by dream.island » September 11th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Damp is definitely big issue ... Electric blankets wonderful ... Calor gas heaters are good ... Only issue is how to get a spare gas bottle ... I don't think you can just go to the gas bottle place in mahon and ask to buy one ... Anyone managed to get spare gas bottles?

The small electric heaters are ideal to put on low in bathrooms to keep chill off as they go on and off.

Rain is biggest problem ... Wet, slippery tiles outside and inside....

Spring and autumn are the best months we think.

Mirador
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Mirador » September 14th, 2015, 11:10 pm

Probably worth getting a dehumidifier also. Made a huge difference to
my parents villa over winter when unoccupied.
Neil

All people have the ability to light up a room, some when they enter and some when they leave.

Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by Shuggie » September 15th, 2015, 7:35 am

Empire01 wrote:Thanks for the help. Shuggie, does the €1400 include installation?
No, I'm going to install it myself. Not a complicated job if you know what you are doing. The burner itself was just over €1000 and then all the chimney bits where another €400.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » September 15th, 2015, 8:35 am

spare bottles are easy enough to buy in the second hand shop in Mahon Poligano :grin:

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » September 15th, 2015, 11:14 am

Shuggie wrote:
Empire01 wrote:Thanks for the help. Shuggie, does the €1400 include installation?
No, I'm going to install it myself. Not a complicated job if you know what you are doing. The burner itself was just over €1000 and then all the chimney bits where another €400.
Shuggie, do you have a chimney already in your place that you're fitting a flue through? Or are you making a hole in the roof for it?

My house has no chimney built in, and a flat roof. I'd like to fit a wood burning stove, with the flue going straight up through the roof. The roof is concrete supported by concrete beams at regular intervals, with tiles on top. I'm thinking that it would be possible to make a hole between the concrete beams (would need to work out where they are, as they're within the concrete ceiling) for the flue, and put flashing around the flue to seal it. Any ideas on this or how to do it would be much appreciated. :)