Heating a small villa

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
dream.island
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Heating a small villa

Post by dream.island » September 15th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Second hand gas bottles - that is interesting ...

What is the name of the second hand shop that sells gas bottles and whereabout is it?

Regarding a dehumidifier ... can you get portable ones that are effective. Our villa is only about 80 cubic whatevers (well might be might not be, depending on whether I have correct measurement thing).

Do you need one per room ... or do you have one and leave the doors open?

Do they have to be vented?

Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by Shuggie » September 15th, 2015, 2:21 pm

clubjoker wrote:
Shuggie wrote:
Empire01 wrote:Thanks for the help. Shuggie, does the €1400 include installation?
No, I'm going to install it myself. Not a complicated job if you know what you are doing. The burner itself was just over €1000 and then all the chimney bits where another €400.
Shuggie, do you have a chimney already in your place that you're fitting a flue through? Or are you making a hole in the roof for it?

My house has no chimney built in, and a flat roof. I'd like to fit a wood burning stove, with the flue going straight up through the roof. The roof is concrete supported by concrete beams at regular intervals, with tiles on top. I'm thinking that it would be possible to make a hole between the concrete beams (would need to work out where they are, as they're within the concrete ceiling) for the flue, and put flashing around the flue to seal it. Any ideas on this or how to do it would be much appreciated. :)
No I don't have a chimney and the roof is only 6 years old and is concrete construction as well but has a rubber membrain under the concrete pad so I don't want to cut through that and risk a leak. I've gone through an external wall with insulated chimney tube. Pictures below hopefully. Not finished yet as I need to add another 2 meters of chimney to get a meter above the roof line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

in.di.go
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by in.di.go » September 15th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Does anyone use these: http://neaterheater.es

They see fairly practical, no?

in.di.go

bini-lizard
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by bini-lizard » September 15th, 2015, 8:37 pm

We tried something very similar to the Neaterheater in a small office in a work building in the UK and found that it didn't work well as our building wasn't well insulated, the heat would rise slowly and then vanish through the roof.! Our place in Menorca isn't well insulated, yours might be better. We found fan heaters best in that room in the end as it blew the warmth around before it deminished, the constant noise could drive you round the bend at home but at our work there are other noises.

I need new glass for the front of my wood burner, any recommendations please?

Shuggie
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by Shuggie » September 15th, 2015, 9:22 pm

bini-lizard wrote: I need new glass for the front of my wood burner, any recommendations please?
Crismar, located at top of the hill that comes up from the end of Port Mahon, turn left as you come to the top of the hill and the shop is opposite the petrol station. Take plenty of money with you.....!!!! I bought 2 small pieces of glass last summer and it cost me €180. They can cut it to any size you want. If was going to do it again I'd bring over from the UK....less than half the price...!!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » September 16th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Shuggie wrote: No I don't have a chimney and the roof is only 6 years old and is concrete construction as well but has a rubber membrain under the concrete pad so I don't want to cut through that and risk a leak. I've gone through an external wall with insulated chimney tube. Pictures below hopefully. Not finished yet as I need to add another 2 meters of chimney to get a meter above the roof line.

That looks awesome. Will keep your house warm in the winter. Much simpler to take the flue out through a wall.

I can't go out through the wall like that unfortunately, as there's a staircase the other side of the wall, that goes up to the roof terrace. It might be possible if I put the stove in not such a good place, a corner against two outside walls. Not so keen on that as it wouldn't heat up the house so well... but much easier to install. Decisions, decisions! I think I'll need to get a builder or the stove shop's installer to have a look.

bini-lizard
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by bini-lizard » September 16th, 2015, 9:40 pm

180........Jeeeez Many thanks for the advice Shuggie. I'll be taking new glass out from the UK then.!

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » September 17th, 2015, 5:04 pm

The shop is called Buscanvi for gas bottles.

dream.island
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by dream.island » September 17th, 2015, 6:37 pm

You are a star as well as a rose ....Can you give me directions ...where it is near.

Thank you.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » September 18th, 2015, 7:43 am

Hi, it is the road adjacent to Hyper Centro just take a right at the roundabout that is Hyper Centro. :grin: