Heating a small villa

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
bini-lizard
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Heating a small villa

Post by bini-lizard » October 19th, 2015, 7:09 pm

I said in a previous post that I would take wood burner glass out from the UK as the man in Mahon who cuts it to size would charge untold for it. I was out a few weeks ago and had a closer look, it seemed I needed more than just glass as the brackets that hold the glass had rusted. I was even starting to think, new burner.

I was all set to bring the whole door back to the UK and possibly replace it when I discovered that there was a local agent in Mahon behind Binipreu. The make of our burner is Jotul and the guys there were really helpful. He's replacing all the rusty bits, the glass and the cord for about £100.00.

The firm is called Beltran Gama and I think I've lucked out having this make but based on my experience I'd recommend them. I don't know if they stock other makes and I'm sorry if this seems a bit of a random post but to be frank I'm chuffed.! :lol: :lol:

davethebirder
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by davethebirder » October 19th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Sounds good - Let us know how it all pans out!

bini-lizard
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by bini-lizard » October 20th, 2015, 6:24 pm

....and we hope to hang washing round it to dry, I'll let you know how that pants out.!

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » October 20th, 2015, 7:10 pm

At the moment we have an open fireplace, we are thinking of putting in a wood burner, but I think it could get to hot in the evenings, so I am also thinking of getting an electric fire that looks like a log burner, could be better just to turn on and off when needed. At the moment we only have air conditioning in the wife's bedroom, I'm thinking of getting air con in the other bedrooms, but getting a system that also heats, I will let you know what we decide, as I'm going over on Friday. :smile:
The next Moderator

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » October 20th, 2015, 7:30 pm

ciaran wrote:At the moment we have an open fireplace, we are thinking of putting in a wood burner, but I think it could get to hot in the evenings, so I am also thinking of getting an electric fire that looks like a log burner, could be better just to turn on and off when needed. At the moment we only have air conditioning in the wife's bedroom, I'm thinking of getting air con in the other bedrooms, but getting a system that also heats, I will let you know what we decide, as I'm going over on Friday. :smile:
ciaran, you could have a look at air-source heat pumps. They are similar to air conditioning units (they do the same thing, heating or cooling, and look and work the same, and might even be sold as the same) but are particularly efficient at heating. For each unit of electrical energy you put in (and pay for!) they can pump 3 or 4 units of heat into your house. So 3 or 4 times more efficient than a simple electric heater. Main downside is the noise and installation cost. On the up side, you won't need as high power an electricity supply "(potencia" - related to the electrical provider's standing charge, which can be very high) as you would for an electric fire, to run air source heat pump heating, as it will use less power for the same heat output, and so will be cheaper to run too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_sourc ... cy_ratings

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » October 21st, 2015, 10:34 am

We had a log burner in the villa and it was the best thing ever, we left the doors open into the bedrooms and it aired them off two :razz:
I only let him think he's in charge.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » October 21st, 2015, 10:45 am

I have a log burning fire as well as underfloor heating.
I love the look of the fire going at full pelt. :grin:
The under floor heating is another matter entirely. Costs a fortune to run and it is impossible to section off the house due to the fact of how long it takes to heat up and cool down. :roll:

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » October 21st, 2015, 10:55 am

Oh, how much I'd like to have a wood-burning stove :)

Is it easy to get good seasoned firewood on the island?

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » October 21st, 2015, 11:01 am

Yes it is quite simple to get the wood.
Although I have never got it. We always seem to be clearing land so we always have wood to burn.
Steve and Denise got wood delivered they will be able to help you out.

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » October 21st, 2015, 12:52 pm

Getting good seasoned wood is quite easy. You have a choice soft [mainly pine] mixed [Pine, olive and another hardwood which I can not remember the name] and hard [Mostly olive] You can get it delivered by the tonne or pick it up yourself in sacks, buying by the tonne is more economical but you need somewhere covered to store it. Last price I paid was 130.00€ for soft per tonne, 180.00€ for mixed per tonne [which I think is the best to buy.

I may be able to get you a couple of phone numbers if you can converse in Spanish, or driving from Mahon take the first turn off the ME1 into Alaior, over the next roundabout and as you pass the next turn right which takes you onto the poligono there is a firewood place directly on your left. Follow the track round and into a open area/car park, you can buy it by the bag here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.93173 ... !1e3?hl=en
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)