Ship possessions or buy when we arrive

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Ship possessions or buy when we arrive

Post by kieronf » December 7th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Greetings everyone. We will be moving permanently to Menorca in September 2017 and I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on whether it makes economic sense (or not) to sell our furniture and other goods here in the UK and save on shipping and storage. We can bring over personal possessions and sentimental items and then buy the bulk of what we need when we arrive, which also solves the problem of having to make our existing UK style of furniture 'fit-in' with the new property. Your thoughts would be appreciated

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Ship possessions or buy when we arrive

Post by Sue Adderley » December 7th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Hi Kieron

Congrats on your big move, you have something very exciting to look forward to!

I can't really comment of the cost of shipping furniture, etc., as our place was furnished when we bought it. But we did have to buy a sofa in Menorca, and a TV, which were both expensive at the time (14 years ago), and we've also looked around at various other types of furniture recently (tables, chairs, coffee tables etc.). While there's definitely more choice now, there's still no-where near as much as in the UK. Furniture can be quite expensive, but at least now you have the option of buying from Ikea (online only) at the 'hub' on the Poligon estate in Mahon), and having it shipped over from Majorca. There are very few 'bargain' furniture stores over there, and we often comment on how easily we could buy the perfect furniture for our apartment in the UK, as we're always seeing stuff that we love, but over there it's not so easy (and we've never looked into the possibility of shipping). It also really depends on what style you'll be going for, as there appears to be more of the traditional dark-wood furniture, and the more modern limed/light oak seems more expensive.

But by the time you move, things could've improved, and I dare say some of the residents on here may have info on stores we've never visited.

Sue :toasting:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » December 7th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Many thanks for the info Sue. It just seems a ridiculous amount of money to first ship, then store for an indefinite period only to find, perhaps, that the UK style doesn't suit the home we buy.

Starting afresh seems to be the way to go, building a new home together with a new life seems like fun.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » December 8th, 2015, 10:45 am

When we first came to the island we came with literally clothes nothing else.
It took nearly 2 years before we actually got our things shipped over in a container.

I must say I was heartbroken being without my most treasured possessions.
We bought furniture here but with so many problems you would not believe.

Every where we went to buy furniture we were told it was in stock but,,, would take 6 weeks for EVERYTHING.
From dining table chairs,sofa, ETC.
They keep very little stock in the shops so everything had to be brought in off island.

Good luck with the move if I can help at all let me know. :grin:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » December 8th, 2015, 12:35 pm

TBH Rose, we've had exactly the same problem in the UK, with having to wait weeks for stuff to be made/delivered.

The other half works in the furniture trade, (so it really peed him off to have to buy a sofa over there), and the standard UK lead time is usually 6 weeks, but it can go up to 10 or 12 weeks for leather! We also had a right game when we tried to buy a little bar table and stool set from Dwell. They have them all nicely displayed, but you try and get hold of one!! :sad: After checking the computer, it said NO! They hadn't actually got any stock, and hadn't got a clue when they would be coming in! And that was all they could tell us - completely useless! We actually ended up buying through Amazon, and got exactly the same kit for half the price, delivered in under a week!

So, I don't think it's particularly a Menorcan problem, but it doesn't exactly make life easy when moving into a new property.

Saying that, we have used the Munti store on the outskirts of San Lluis and taken stuff home with us on the day, and we ordered a patio set last year (from Jovimar), which was delivered within a couple of days. So, I guess it just depends. We have also taken some flat-pack furniture (chest of drawers) over from the UK on a standard flight (and paid the extra luggage charge), which turned out to be quite a cost-effective option. :grin:

Sue :partyman:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » December 8th, 2015, 3:40 pm

We bought two settees from the furnisher shop near the Sant Llouis supermarket, they had it in stock and told us it would be delivered that afternoon :razz: then a week later we got a leaflet through the letter box and on it was the same ones in the sale at half the price :evil: no wonder they were so quick to get rid of it :evil:
I only let him think he's in charge.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » December 9th, 2015, 10:11 am

Yes Menorca can be extremely frustrating when trying to purchase things like this.

I must say it is time they got their finger out and catch up with rest of the world.

But,,,,,,,these are the things you have to put up with for living on such a beautiful island.

I should really write a blog on the frustrations of Menorca.