Advice on waterproofing terraces, and recommend builder on Ciutadella side of the island

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Advice on waterproofing terraces, and recommend builder on Ciutadella side of the island

Post by clubjoker » November 7th, 2016, 11:27 am

Hi all

Could anyone recommend a builder on the Ciutadella side of the island?

I've got various works that need doing on my house. Biggest job is probably redoing and waterproofing and re-tiling the tiled terraces on the first floor and roof.

Does anyone have any experience of similar - can you offer any advice? Some research has thrown up a few different ways of doing it:
- painting over the existing tiles with sealant - seems like a bit of a bodge, won't last very long and doesn't look good
- pulling up old tiles and then putting down asphalt strips (from rolls, edges melted together with gas torch to seal)
- as above, but some sort of resin mortar with reinforced fibre - is this a more modern effective alternative to asphalt?
- as above, but rubber sheets under the tiles?

I've been in touch with Ireneo (casaenmenorca.com) who I've seen recommended on this forum, but he's based over by Mahon and wouldn't cover Ciutadella.

Thank you in advance :barmy:

John

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: Advice on waterproofing terraces, and recommend builder on Ciutadella side of the island

Post by ciaran » November 9th, 2016, 8:21 pm

Our roof terrace was leaking a little, so was painted with a solution to seal it, it didn't look great & started to bubble, if you can afford to I would replace the tiles & start again, I think the look of the tiles is much better than any of the alternatives . :smile:
The next Moderator

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Advice on waterproofing terraces, and recommend builder on Ciutadella side of the island

Post by clubjoker » November 11th, 2016, 5:44 pm

Thanks, ciaran. Yes, I agree better to rip up, reseal, and retile.

Does anyone have any advice on best way to seal? On further investigation it seems that there are a couple of alternatives:
- bituminous / tar / asphalt sheet
- composite plastic / fibre sheeting

I've got one quote which is high.

Anyone had similar work done in Menorca who'd care to chip in with their experience? There are a lot of these roof terraces in Menorca :grin:

rcorcoranuk
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by rcorcoranuk » November 11th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Hello

I have no experience with roof terraces but you could see if it's a job Prima Ventanas can help you with? They're based near Mahon but cover the whole island. They're fitting aircon for us and we are near Ciutadella. However they also seem to do all kinds of building work. Tony is British so it's also easy to explain what you're looking for if your Spanish building vocabulary is limited!

You can find them on Google.

Rachel

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » November 11th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Thanks, Rachel. I'll give them a call.