Price for replacement shutters

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Price for replacement shutters

Post by clubjoker » March 14th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Hello all

My villa has got traditional dark green painted wooden shutters. The shutters for the kitchen have rotted and need to be replaced. The window is approx 1.3m by 1.2m in size.

Anyone know rough cost of replacement shutters should be? For wooden ones? Aluminium ones? Would appreciate sharing any experience here to know if I'm paying a reasonable price without having to go around getting multiple quotes for comparison.

rcorcoranuk
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Price for replacement shutters

Post by rcorcoranuk » March 14th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Not sure about price, but for metal ones you could try Tony from Prima Ventanas (they have a web-site).

They're very good and he's English so it's easy to sort everything out.

Anything wooden seems to be a lot more expensive in Menorca whenever we've had quotes, but no idea if the same applies to shutters!

Boycie
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by Boycie » March 15th, 2017, 1:33 pm

We have used Extra widows for metal shutters two bedroom shutters that is 4 shutters in total cost about 1200euro about 2 years ago not cheap.
Always on my way to Menorca

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » March 15th, 2017, 9:10 pm

If you are handy at DIY, have you thought about making them yourself? They are incredibly simple to make.

About five years ago we were quoted over £3k for new wooden shutters - six door panels and three window panels. I built them in the UK, disassembled them again, and shipped the flatpacks out. I think the cost was about £350 all in, including the £100 for shipping.

For your window, you should be able to bring the flatpack as a standard bag - I know it will be fine with easyJet. Your weight should be about 14-18kg, depending on the thickness of the panel wood.

Dan
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

bini-lizard
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by bini-lizard » March 15th, 2017, 10:09 pm

I took some big stuff out in a bike box last month. For £30 I got 30kgs in a box about 6ft x 3ft x 18inches (shutter sized maybe)

chrismarkoliver
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by chrismarkoliver » March 16th, 2017, 3:00 pm

We had a pair of aluminium shutters made last year for a 185cm x 110cm opening. The price was 579 Euros (incl. IVA) for two doors and a frame, fitting was not included. The company was called ESVI on the poligono in Mahon. It was the cheapest place we could find, but still very expensive!

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » March 16th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Aluminium shutters and doors/windows are very expensive whoever you get them from. The cheapest place I found was on the Sant Lluis poligono [can't remember their name, but can show you on Google maps if interested] If you ask I'm 99% sure they'll do a deal for cash, they always did for me. Its always worth asking for a discount for cash wherever you go, most places will.

As for fitting yourself, Shutters are quite easy if you're up to a little DIY. All you need is a hammer drill, suitable sized masonry bits, screws and wall plugs, screwdriver and a sprit level, a few plastic wedges come in handy which the manufacturer will/should give you.

Just remember *measure three time* including both diagonals, window openings are not always square.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » March 17th, 2017, 3:48 pm

If your ironwork is still in the wall you don't even need to do half of that either - it's just a case of lining and levelling up the shutters and screwing in place. Super easy!

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by clubjoker » March 17th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Thanks, everyone. Some great information there.

I've been quoted 650 euros for some replacement hardwood shutters, including fitting.

Dan, would like to find out more about DIY route, though i suspect it's beyond my skill level and available time to do it. The shutters are louvred (fixed angle) so quite a few little bits. When you say it's easy, is that with a kit or building from scratch?

Globetrotter
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Globetrotter » March 18th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Ahh, traditional on Menorca is the standard flat panel shutters.

Louvered shutters are going to be difficult to make yourself. But it is still worth looking at prices in the UK - I bought some softwood ones of a similar size for an airing cupboard and they were around £30 per shutter.