Tourist License

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
cadlington
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Tourist License

Post by cadlington » May 22nd, 2017, 11:51 am

Hi,
How difficult is to get a tourist license? we would like to buy a villa with a view to rent when we don't use it. But recent news on the press regarding changing the law is worrying us. Anyone knows how the new laws are going to affect getting a license? Thank you.

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: Tourist License

Post by ciaran » May 23rd, 2017, 6:59 pm

I think the new laws haven't come in yet, but I don't think that there's much to worry about, the main issue is a property being at least 10 years old, there are a few companies who can assist you in getting the licence, :smile:
The next Moderator

clubjoker
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Tourist License

Post by clubjoker » May 24th, 2017, 5:11 pm

It's certainly worth looking into the criteria for Tourist licences if that is a must have for your new place.

From what I understand, the property must be in a designated "tourist area" i.e. a resort rather than a year-round-living town. Then it needs to have a certain number of bathrooms per bed, services provided, etc etc. Looks to me like the hotel lobby have got through to (paid?) the politicians to put in as many barriers as possible - it's pretty much like running a hotel.

I read recently (on menorca.info) a story of someone in government in Mallorca (same/similar rules) who'd been letting his house out on airbnb without declaring the income (and presumably with no licence), in complete contradiction to his party's position (Podemos, populist left wing) on this.