Satellite dish and heated pools

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Satellite dish and heated pools

Post by PeterV » July 2nd, 2018, 7:43 pm

Hi,

My property currently has a satellite dish that is akin to something left over from a 1970’s moon landing expedition. Looking at other properties in the area, it does appear as though NASA had a bit of fire sale in the local area.

Is it possible to replace this with something more similar to a U.K. “Sky” sized dish? We need the dish as the property will be rented, but would prefer a dish that is comfortably under 1m in diameter.

Also, what’s the view on pool heating? We have found the pool typically too cold to use in May and October, but we’ve heard that they are problematic and pointless due to impacting the pH etc.

Cheers,
PV.

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Satellite dish and heated pools

Post by Keefyd » July 2nd, 2018, 9:05 pm

Since sky changed their satellite a few years ago, you need the larger size dish to continue to receive their service in Spain. Most people have abandoned sky due to this issue and have moved to the internet based iptv solution instead.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by PeterV » July 2nd, 2018, 9:18 pm

Ah-ha! Ok. That’s why!!! Thanks!!

Do you happen to know if a local Internet provider supplies the IPTV STB as part a broadband package (eg similar to BT)?

That would be awesome as I really want the satellite dish off the roof....it’s so ugly. Alternatively, digital aerial perhaps? Guessing not.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » July 3rd, 2018, 7:26 am

I’m just about to put in iptv into my place. I’ll let you have the details when it’s done.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by PeterV » March 5th, 2019, 11:26 am

Ok! So I’ve now got my 8Mbps Internet service installed, so am onto the next phase of the project - removing the ugly satellite dish!

Was wondering how the IPTV installation went? Has anyone tried this with any success? I’m particularly keek to see how it performs in high season.

I suspect I’ll need to dual run them for a season to see how they perform.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I imagine that due to territory restrictions, my U.K. Netflix account won’t work, so I either need to NordVPN it, or look at what’s available in Spain.

Does anyone have any advice or guidance?

Thanks.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » March 5th, 2019, 12:27 pm

8mbps should work ok as long as you don’t have anyone else on the WiFi at the same time streaming video.

I ended up not doing the iptv as I wanted a service that I could turn on and off as I come and go. My solution is to use the FilmOn subscription for the U.K. which gives you all the terrestrial channels for £14.95 per month, you don’t need a VPN for this. If I want a big sporting event I’ll buy a Nowtv pass when I need it, vpn is needed for this. I’m not a massive TV fan so this basic service works well for what I need.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

PeterV
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by PeterV » March 5th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you please let me know what set top box you use for the FilmOn? Does this give you any BBC World service etc?

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » March 5th, 2019, 3:03 pm

I would have thought that 8mbps is rather slow for the island, especially for streaming. Filmon and it's like allow you to access most of the freely-available UK channels, but the same could be said for any basic smart TV where you would also be able to access Netflix which you can download as an app. I subscribe to DRTV but also view through a smart TV and have an Amazon (basic) fire-stick as the one I brought from the UK doesn't work. Those three combined give me access to film, sport as well as UK domestic tv - but who wants to sit an and watch TV in menorca.

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » March 5th, 2019, 4:16 pm

I’ve had an iptv system from drtv for the last 3 years and run it off an 8mb Internet connection without any issues at all.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza: