IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: IPTV Boxes - are they still a thing?

Post by kieronf » November 15th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Let's clear this up. ALL streaming of subscription content - Sky and anything else like it - BT Sport and so on (not Netflix or Amazon Prime etc) - is illegal unless you subscribe to one of their packages, which we all know, you can't get here in Menorca. If you are watching any Sky (or other subscription content) you are watching it illegally. One by one these providers are being shut down. Individual punters aren't being hunted down - the number of providers - and the the content they offer, will shrink over time and when the time is right Sky will offer a streaming service.

missy82
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by missy82 » November 16th, 2019, 10:27 am

But can I buy a portable WiFi device in menorca? As I don't want to use my UK data from my phone.

One of the possible places that I might be moving to doesn't have WiFi

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » November 16th, 2019, 11:32 am

missy82 wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 10:27 am
But can I buy a portable WiFi device in menorca? As I don't want to use my UK data from my phone.

Wi-Fi is simply a wireless connection to an existing local internet source, sadly you cannot connect to wi-fi as a stand alone 'thing'. You will need a home internet connection to which you can connect to via wi-fi - look to pay around €30 per month at the higher end. Alternatives such as Amazon firesticks etc all connect to a domestic internet system.

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » November 16th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Do you mean you can’t get broadband internet via a conventional hard wired cable?

It’s not usual in menorca to receive internet through a line of sight microwave antenna. That’s what I have. I only get 6mb speed but it ample for streaming TV.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"