Car Breakers /Car Disposal

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
mickyb
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Car Breakers /Car Disposal

Post by mickyb » April 13th, 2005, 3:29 pm

I wondered if anyone could help us with a problem that we have re disposal of a car.

The car in question has been on the island about twenty years, and has spent the last 15 rotting away in the garage. It's now not cost effective to repair it.

What could be a problem is I dont think the car was ever fully registered as a Spanish car by my wifes father. Having inherited this problem I wondered if anyone else knows how the car could be disposed of.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Mike
Mike Brett

Noggerwood
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by Noggerwood » April 13th, 2005, 3:47 pm

:lol: Mike, does the car run? If it does theres a winding little road in the North of the Island that runs out at the lighthouse on the Cap de Cavillera. If you get a good run at the end of the road and jump out...well the cliff is about 200ft high and the sea is very deep...I think your problem will disappear mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, why not have a word with some of the owners of the hire car businesses, I bet they know all the motor related contacts on the Island
Good luck
Ash :cool:
Ash Scully

Playas de Fornells 20th June 2014

Jenny
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Jenny » April 13th, 2005, 11:26 pm

Mike

One of the disused quarries on the outskirts of Ciutadella was used for dumping cars until very recently but G.O.B. have closed it down and are in the process of removing all the debris. I believe there may still be an official site on the road out to Punta Nati but if no-one else can give you a definitive answer in the meantime, I will find out for you when I get back next week.

Jenny

mickyb
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by mickyb » April 14th, 2005, 9:44 am

Many thanks for your suggestion Ash, being "just around the corner" from Cavillera (in Fornells) something like the first option has crossed my mind :-). Will try asking some of the car hire places when i'm over in May.

If you can find out more details on the official site I would be most grateful Jenny.

Just need to find someone with a towbar then!

Mike
Mike Brett

johndavies
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Over the cliff ?

Post by johndavies » April 15th, 2005, 7:31 pm

You had better drain the oil and brake fluid first so you can't be "done" for pollution.

Jenny
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Jenny » May 24th, 2005, 1:15 am

Mike

Sorry it's taken me so long to find something out for you on this - had to do it by proxy as I am back in UK on an unscheduled visit. I've also just realised that the car in question is in Fornells so not sure how much the use the following will be to you - however ....

I've been told today that the guy who was running an illegal dump at the quarry next to Lithica in Ciutadella has been given a licence to scrap cars so is now legal (Does anybody else find that wonderfully Spanish - they are so pragmatic) but the operation has moved up the road about 200 yds nearer to Ciutadella - so that's on Cami Vell very close to where the new Ronda cuts across it.

The other one local to us is as I mentioned previously on the road up to Punta Nati. Apparently both these sites are required to take you car without charging you anything but you have to get the car there, though my husband did say he noticed a tow truck parked outside the first one so maybe they would tow it but charge you for the towing.

Sorry that I have not been able to get info on anything closer to you

Jenny

mickyb
3 Star Supporter
3 Star Supporter

Post by mickyb » May 24th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that information. We are going out to Menorca next week for 2 weeks, so we will have a look. Thanks again for taking the trouble to look.

P.S. My father in law is definitely coming out in July and would love to meet up with you for a bit of sailing (crewing). Will it be okay to pm you when we find out the exact date?
Mike Brett

discodolly
Bandwidth abuser
Bandwidth abuser

Post by discodolly » May 24th, 2005, 1:50 pm

hi,
there is an article in this months roqueta magazine on how to scrap a car in menorca, what documents you need to fill out etc, it is quite long and would probably take a while to type out by i can scan it and email to you if you want . Just send me your email in a pm. :grin:
if the grass is greener....water your own lawn

discodolly
Bandwidth abuser
Bandwidth abuser

Post by discodolly » May 24th, 2005, 2:06 pm

just plugged in my scanner and its not working so ive typed it out!!! :lol:

To scrap a car it is no longer necessary to go to the police in mahon , the necessary documents etc can be completed at FRAMA. Frama is a centre authorised to collect scrap cars , recycle metal and paper etc. and it also sells scrap metal. The centre will sort out the paperwork for you and will collect your scrap vehicle from your home. There is a similar service in Cuitadella.

In mahon Frama is located on the Poligono industrial estate, Carrer Curniola – just next to PIME. They are not easy to find – my suggestion is to go to the crossroads by Duchisela the butchers, turn towards the mahon cuitadella road at this cross roads, then left at the first t junction. The scrapyard is then on your left.

You will be required to produce the following: FOR A VEHICLE UNDER 15 YEARS OLD:
1. original and photocopy of your passport and /or residencia
2. Permiso de circulacion (will be with your car papers in the car)
3. Ficha I.T.V (your mot certificate – on the back of your ficha technical)
4. fee 7€
5. Vehicle: Frama offers a free collection service for cars in mahon. Small fees are charged for vehicles that are collected from other municipalities on the island.
6. Road tax(impuesto de circulation) for the current year. The town hall will refund any remaining months of road tax – application to be made to the town hall at which is was paid.
7. official form for the request of the Baja. This is a form from the jefatura de traffice (police) but can be obtained and dealt with at Frama.

FOR VEHICLES OVER 15 YEARS OLD
The above with the exception of the fee and the road tax need not be current.

If the owner of the car itself is unable to do the scrapping , the job can be designated to someone else , on production of a written , signed , authority from the owner of the vehicle.

It is important never to abandon a car – apart from the impact on the environment , the road tax will have to be paid forever, - after many years of non payment the debt could be formalised through the central administration and could eventually lead to a charge on the title deed of your house.

as i said this was taken from this months roqueta
if the grass is greener....water your own lawn

Jenny
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Jenny » May 24th, 2005, 9:03 pm

By all means Mike

At the moment I am stuck back in UK and it looks as if it could be towards end of June before I get back so won't have done any sailing :sad: so maybe I'll need to get him to helm - but yes that will be great because it will get me back in the boat.

Sorry my informant re scrapping made no reference to all the paperwork DD has detailed for you -he may have assumed I knew - should have guessed though as I don't think there can be a more bureuacratic country in the world!

Jenny