Budha Bar , Vincent issues?

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Bou, San Jamie and Torri Soli resort area.
SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Budha Bar , Vincent issues?

Post by SonBouSymey » July 11th, 2020, 8:26 pm

I am so surprised that nothing has been posted in this section since February. Keeping up with general section though.

Spotted on FB today though that Vincent has ranted off about something but I do not completely understand it all. Is somebody having a go at him again? More jealousy I suspect at his success through hard work maybe?

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Budha Bar , Vincent issues?

Post by Sue Adderley » July 11th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Hi Symey

From what I could understand, someone at another establishment in the resort (don't know which one) seems to have complained about the state of Vincent's awnings, or some painting being unfinished, (the translation's not great). The complainant has said that it's lowering the tone of the resort and I think Vincent's had to temporarily close the Budha and operate from his cafe (Del Sol) round the corner. It appears that the person who complained may have already gone out of business, or be struggling financially, so it could well be a bit of jealously :???:

Another story I saw was about the Hawaiian bar having to be evacuated by the police on Thursday night, as over 200 'youths' were in there partying without any social-distancing/masks etc., :sad: There was also a party being held on the beach car park that had to be broken up. Thursday's always been a crazy night in the Hawaiian, as it's the night all the local workers go out, but apparently last Thursday also coincided with the release of exam results, so a lot of youngsters were out celebrating. I know the bar is usually open until 4am, but the council has now implemented a 2am curfew.

We're due over there in 2 weeks, so it'll be interesting to see how things are working under the Covid rules, if they're not already back in lockdown :shock:

Sue :partyman:

SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by SonBouSymey » July 12th, 2020, 9:03 am

Thanks Sue. That all sounds about par for the course. Will keep a close eye on how you get on in a couple of weeks. We are due out in September but pretty much decided not to run the aeroplane 'gauntlet' as well as all the other dangers, insurance issues and limitations. I really can see many places having to lock down again. Let us know how you get on.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » July 12th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Certainly will, if we actually get there :???:

SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by SonBouSymey » July 29th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Did you get away Sue? :shock:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » August 10th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Hi Symey

Yes, we did get away, that wasn't a problem :grin: As it turned out, getting home would be an issue though :evil:

We arrived on 24th July and everything seemed fine, (temperature checks at Mahon airport, they collected the Spanish passenger form thingy and all seemed well :grin: ). Then bleeding Boris and his plebs decided to add the Balearics to the banned non-essential travel list (despite there being less than 20 diagnosed with Covid on the island at the time). Jet2 then cancelled our flight home, told us they'd refund our money and basically said 'book a flight home with us within the week, or find your own way back' :axe:

To cut a long story short, we arrived home yesterday afternoon, approx. 18 hours after leaving our apartment on Saturday evening. 11pm Ryanair flight to Dublin, overnight stay in Dublin, flight from Dublin to Birmingham yesterday afternoon :shock: Good job I don't mind a bit of 'adventure' :lol:

Vincent's issues were due to a lady who rented one of the local shops in the resort. She was supposed to be a 'friend,' but stitched him up over various things and he basically lost it :evil: He didn't mind telling us all about it, so I don't think it's a secret :???:

The new 'Arthurs', which is now Aroma, seemed quite popular and Boni's Indian is now a restaurant called Jardi Des Temple (food apparently good, but some service issues due them bein#g new).

Anyway, the resort it seemed quiet (apart from the Hawaiian bar, which was busy as usual). They're still having issues with youths not wanting to be kicked out of the Hawaiian bar at the new 'earlier' closing time of 2am, when they go off into the car park and have a party :barmy: And the police were turning folk away from the beach at the weekend, as the sand has eroded in certain parts, so there's 'less room' apparently :roll: but we got a well-distanced space no problem whenever we went (they also closed the shower too, as it was a bit of a free-for-all).

So, a bit different this year, but still enjoyable and apparently other resorts on the island were struggling more than Son Bou according to locals. I think only La Roca and the shops alongside hadn't opened. We just hope the other businesses manage to survive, as the lack of Brits mean takings are down drastically :sad:

Sue :toasting:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » August 17th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Well it'll be third time lucky for me if i get to menorca in september, having had 2 trips cancelled so far. Whatever, i will get there somehow, and i will not be worrying about getting back.
My intention is to return Son Bou's bars to profitability, singlehandedly!
I'd appreciate some help though, as I haven't the capacity of earlier years, so if any of you are about in september we can have a coordinated approach!
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » August 19th, 2020, 2:33 pm

To be honest, I'll be surprised if many businesses are still open in September :sad:

Just before we flew home, we saw Tony who runs the Hawaiian bar and he said that the Royal Son Bou Hotel is closing on 6th September, which was confirmed in the press a couple of days ago. He said, because of this, he thinks that'll be the final day for most restaurants and bars in Son Bou too :shock: I know he was under a lot of stress running the Hawaiian with all the measures that have been put in and the constant police checks. He actually said he'd rather be closed :sad: Now things have been tightened-up further, by not allowing people into bars after midnight and making them close at 1am. Smoking in the street is also banned (don't know how they'll enforce that though).

Despite this, we're still hoping to get over to the island at the end of September/early October, as over the last few years we've been venturing into towns, such as Es Mercadal, Sant Lluis and Ferreries, during the evenings and life there seemed to be pretty-much unchanged (apart from the mask-wearing and safety measures), but unfortunately I think the resorts are really struggling and I just hope they can recover :cry:

corsario
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by corsario » September 24th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Both of Vincent's bars are now closed, sadly. Had a great meal at Casa Andres last friday. Compostela still open and a few other places too. The beach car park has been pretty busy the last 2 weeks, but quieter this week. Venturing to Fornells and Cafe del Nord doing good business this week-have eaten there twice. I don't know how long places will stay open in Son Bou now, so I think I will book Es Moli de Raco for christmas lunch! Good to see people are taking safety seriously, masks in the street etc and even the children doing that to and from school. The beach empties before the 9pm curfew, but it's dark by then anyway. However, the Guardia are checking anyway. Basically, much quieter here, but just as beautiful, and so is the weather.
Hay que verlo para creerlo!

Every home needs a pantry...

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » September 26th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Hi Corsario

Glad there was some places still open for you to enjoy :grin: I think the Hawaiian bar's last night is tonight, despite Tony telling us he wanted to close the first week of September. Compostella actually stayed open all last year and was the only place open at Christmas (apart from the bakery).

We were hoping to be flying over there today, for a couple of weeks, but can't do it with the current quarantine laws still in place, despite there only being 35 cases on the island now, I believe :neutral:

Roll on Christmas, that's what I say :cool: The flights have been booked for months and we're still holding out hope for NYE at Es Moli Des Raco :partyman: