2014 part 2

Accommodation & Restaurant info for the Son Bou, San Jamie and Torri Soli resort area.
SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

2014 part 2

Post by SonBouSymey » October 7th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Somewhat delayed I know but having been back to Son Bou for the last couple of weeks in September, I thought it worth posting this on the off chance others may benefit from this individual view. I do not frequent English bars in Menorca or appreciate the view of bouncy castle type cities in the sea (although I do also understand that there are many that do) so bearing that in mind ...................

Bullet points -

The resort was noticeably quiet again but no more so than it was in the last week of June , first week July.

Sea was much warmer which is normal for this time and no sign of Jellies.

Beach was popular but not packed. Naturists still creeping further East on beach though. Go on from car park end, past the ducks and immediatley play 'spot the Willie'. Doesn't bother us but be aware if you have not been before. We did hear some people complaining that there should be some sort of designated demarcation area beyond which you could expect this and that the golden mile was turning into the golden 'pile'. Enough said!

Bouncy castle was taken down 22/9/14. Didn't see many on it but that was probably due to most of those who should be at school were actually at school back in UK. Looked fun but a personally unwanted eyesore nevertheless.

Weather changed around 22/9/14 but although we had some thunder etc and rain it was the usual downpour then quickly cleared. Evenings were still warm. More so than previous years at this time. Mozzies had a go too which they did not in June.

No change restaurant wise. Had another couple of excellent curries at Bonni Spice, Andres excellent. Did try the Italian Allessandros (spell?) for the first time. Not impressed. May have been us but daughter also went seperately and thought the same. Standard of food only commensurate with price paid, which to be fair was not a lot. Will give them a second chance later as others have rated it well and it also one of the more popular places to eat. Still some empty premises that need to be occupied and which make the centre look a tad derilict in places which is a shame.

Have to mention again the Red Arrows display over Mahon. Almost 30 mins of awesome flying which can be viewed easily from any one of a number of great vantage points around the harbour all of which are 'free to view' if desired. :smile:

Local supermarkets running stocks down. Go to Alaior or similar if you have a car. Fully stocked and much cheaper of course. Some 'bargains' to be had in Pounou etc and even the touristy shops had some discounts which is unusual on resort.

Particularly good time of year to watch the birds flocking on the wetland every evening.

All in all we actually prefer this time of year to earlier. It was however noticeably hotter / humid for the most part until the rain eventually kicked in. Lots to be said though for the saying that the weather turns after the second week in September.

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: 2014 part 2

Post by RubiAnne » October 8th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Great report.

We spotted a cople of naturists in Cala Morell - in full view of the cafe! :shock: :smile:

..they weren't excatly a pretty sight either ! :rolleyes:

hodghegs
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by hodghegs » October 8th, 2014, 8:14 pm

"Spot the willy". Soooo funny :grin:

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » October 8th, 2014, 9:19 pm

Tut Tut :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
:cool:
:blue: :blue: :blue: :partyman: :partyman: :dream:

:cool: :smile: :yawinkle:

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » October 9th, 2014, 11:34 am

Yeah, we got back last weekend, and that's pretty much how we found it.

The resort was quiet, but some of the restaurants, such as Las Dunas, seemed particularly busy, I think Miguel's upped his game this year, my brother and his family loved the place when they were over, and went there loads of times. They usually like Casa Andres, but said that Las Dunas was so good this year, and slightly cheaper, that they didn't go once. We also found out that Miguel (who runs Las Dunas) is Andre's cousin, so it obviously runs in the family! And apparently the bars that sell food, such as Copa Burger have done quite well this year (probably due to the English going in to watch Sky Sports, as they can't get it in their properties).

I have to agree with Son Bou Symey about Allesandro's though. We've been in a few times over the last couple of years, but don't think it's anything to write home about. We go into Mahon if we fancy an Italian.

We went in the Hawaiian bar most nights, which seemed quite busy for October. The Budha Lounge was eerily empty at night. It's very exposed on that corner and when all the shops close it just feels a bit dead.

We noticed a lot of Germans on the beach, more so than usual. But they rarely go out at night, as I'm pretty sure most of them stay in the Royal Hotel Son Bou, which I think is all inclusive.

We had a couple of cloudy days, but it was so warm that we went to the beach anyway, and swam in the sea every day. Saw a couple of random jellies, at Son Bou and Arenal, but managed to avoid getting stung, for a change! It stayed warm at night, don't think it dropped below 21 degrees, so we didn't even need a jacket or cardie.

Anyway, we had a great time and crammed as much in as we could for a week, as we won't be back over until Christmas, boo!

Sue :cool:

SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by SonBouSymey » October 9th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Glad you had a great time again Sue.
I must admit we did not eat with Miguel on either visit this year albeit we did have a couple of drinks with him and Maria. Interesting to hear what you say about him upping his game because we did have a couple of very indifferent meals in there last year which put us off a bit. Felt a bit guilty not having at least one meal there but I only say this because the two of them have been such charachters over the years and were great with the girls as they were growing up etc.

Good point on the satellite TV issue. Our villa has been without UK channels this year. In some ways I think it was a good thing and we used ipad etc to stream live uk tv when absolutely necessary to satisfy the demands of my youngest daughter's Eastenders fetish.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » October 12th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Just as a matter of interest Symey, to stream TV through an Ipad, do you need a Wi-Fi connection, I'm presuming you do? :???:

SonBouSymey
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by SonBouSymey » October 12th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Sue Adderley wrote:Just as a matter of interest Symey, to stream TV through an Ipad, do you need a Wi-Fi connection, I'm presuming you do? :???:
Not an expert by any means but the way we did it - yes.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » October 12th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Thanks Symey, that's kind of what I thought. It's for my other half really (sport :sad:). There was plenty of free Wi-Fi about this year during the summer, but I think at Christmas it'll be a different matter.

The only channels we can get now are the Star-Trek channel, some news program and a rubbish film channel, so we'll have to crack the Yahtzee out I reckon! :shock: