Hopefully useful stuff for (prospective) owners.

Site news and announcements, important Menorca information
Uncle Bert

Post by Uncle Bert » April 18th, 2006, 3:38 pm

The original website kindly featured by Jenny has now been replaced by the following:

http://www.c-euro.org/
Regards,

Young Uncle Bert

Take me home to the place I belong - ALAIOR, MENORCA!!

SarahMT
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Re: where

Post by SarahMT » May 10th, 2006, 11:50 pm

pigeonpie wrote:Hi there

Where can you buy the living and working in spain from? :lol:
I saw this book in WH SMITH last week.
Dreaming of Menorca

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » June 13th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Hi

Just a word of caution to anyone thinking of buying, regarding the Wealth Tax payments.

We own a apartment (but don't rent it out) and have to pay an annual wealth-tax, which is based on the value of your property. People who own and rent out also have to pay the tax, but it's more expensive.

Anyway, when we bought the property, Bonninsanso put us in contact with a solicitor in Mahon who sorts out all your bill payments for the year (it saves you having to fill in loads of Spanish forms that you can't understand). Well, for the first couple of years he's sent us a letter telling us how much our wealth tax payments would be, so we've just blindly gone along a paid him every June.

This year we got chatting to a family in the same apartment block who also don't rent out, and it turns out they're paying about 500 Euros less than us for their wealth tax. Basically, their solicitor only charges about 100 Euros to do their tax forms, and ours is charging about 600 Euros.

So if your estate agent puts you in contact with a solicitor it may seem the easiest option just to stick with him after the initial purchase. But my advice would be to shop around and talk to owners in your vacinity to see who they use to get the best deal.

We certainly won't be making the same mistake next year!

Sue