tips on living in menorca we are thinking of living here

carolinecoleman

tips on living in menorca we are thinking of living here

Post by carolinecoleman » February 22nd, 2015, 6:25 pm

we thinking of relocating to menorca and are coming out to view houses in may , any tips ?? of where to look around mahon and es grau areas ?

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: tips on living in menorca we are thinking of living here

Post by Slartibartfast » February 22nd, 2015, 11:08 pm

Are you looking for advice on where to buy??
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » February 23rd, 2015, 12:03 pm

Best tip

view in Winter so you know what the island is really like - it's very different outside the season

Controversial , but as a frequent visitor but non resident (but who knows lots who are resident ) there is the usual ex pat clan and cliques that can get a bit trying in such a small place if you lived there.

Don't move unless you don't have to earn money to live ( making a living is very hard unless you've got big finances behind you )

carben
7 Star supporter
7 Star supporter

Post by carben » February 24th, 2015, 11:50 am

Make sure you get all the legal side sorted and that you fully understand spanish laws/rules etc. It's quite expensive to buy in Es Grau and as it's a samll place not a lot of properties come on the market. Mahon, Ciutadella, or inland towns have more available and more choice from villas, town houses, apartments etc.
Good luck, let us know how you get on!!

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » February 24th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Adding to last post. You have to be very careful buying anything within S'albufera ( Nature Park ) which comes under Es Grau. Need to 100% the property is legal as there is a lot of development history ( NOTE this is NOT common problem on Menorca )

To my best knowledge, all roads on Parc have to be maintained by the community etc etc

Es Grau Village is totally different but Winter times on that coast line are TOUGH with the storms and wind!

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » February 25th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Yes, that's the only thing that would put me off - - the storms and winds. :shock: I've heard how bad they can be.

San
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by San » March 14th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Just catching up with news. When we came to buy in Menorca we visited in February to see what was opened. No good buying in most of the resorts - could not find anywhere to get a cup of coffee and they were like ghost towns, so chose Es Castell.
We love Es Castell, busy working town with fab eating places and the residents fantastic. Our neighbours (Menorquin, Brazillian, Argentinian and Spanish) treat us as family. In the winter it can be very cold and yes the wind does blow, but we have been over at Christmas to 21 degrees. You can either get a 5 minute bus ride or take a leisurely 20/30 minute walk along the harbour into Mahon.
San Luis is very popular with the Brits and lots of shops too. All depends on what you want out of life.
A West Riding of Yorkshire Lass at heart