Cavalier move?

LadyTravel

Cavalier move?

Post by LadyTravel » April 5th, 2015, 8:27 am

:hlp: :hlp: :hlp: :hlp: :hlp: :hlp: Hi there! Can I just drive my little car, with suitcases, onto the ferry at Barcelona & drive off at Mahon to begin a new life?
Are UK passport & NI number what I need to start all the paperwork for residency etc?
VERY basic but I can get complicated!!
Thanks anyone

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cavalier move?

Post by Slartibartfast » April 5th, 2015, 11:07 am

Short answer yes, long answer ...(part one)

You'll need to get residency....
For residency...........
You'll need some form of income. You'll need a set amount of Euros in the bank. You need proof that you won't be a burden on the Spanish NHS [either by having work and paying into the system or having private medical insurance].
You can only drive your car for 6 months legally.
You will need to find somewhere to live.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » April 6th, 2015, 11:12 am

how to scare the be jeeses out of them :lol:

watta
Support Team
Support Team

Post by watta » April 6th, 2015, 1:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
:cool:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » April 6th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Whatever you say this is how it is, gone are the days when you could just turn up and live there [legally]
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

ELVIRA21

Post by ELVIRA21 » June 23rd, 2015, 3:13 pm

Hi ! Don't know how old you are - if you are a UK OAP it may be easier with a guaranteed regular income, to find accommodation and register for your NIE number - We lived on the island until 2003 when my OH was 78 and could no longer stand the heat in summer when we moved to France. If I am the survivor of the two of us, I would love to return to the island, and often go for a week or two in early summer when it's not too hot !! The idea is a lovely one, just pack up and arrive - but you need to be able to prove that you can afford to live there, and that includes health cover - if you are an OAP from the UK you should be entitled to an S1 reciprocal health agreement form, which you register with the Spanish health authority, although nowadays it is often not recognised and you are required to either have private medical insurance, or to pay upfront.. Any insurance co can advise you - and you will need, of course, a Spanish bank account - if your UK bank has a Spanish equivalent, you may be able to use them (I know Barclays does, but it is NOT a reciprocal Bank - most Spanish banks on the Island are autonomous, even when we lived there and banked with Banco Credito Baleare it was not possible to, for instance, pay in monies in the Mahon branch, and we had to go to our own registered branch in another town - which was sometimes inconvenient, although towns are not far apart on the island !

Might be a good, if not such a spontaneous action, to go over and look around and rent for a month or so (not perhaps in summer when it is more expensive !) - I absolutely loved living on the island - we lived in Addaya, near to Arenal, but if I went back on my own I would probably chose Es Castell or Alayor - Ciutadella is nice, but more expensive and preferably a town with a bus service to Mahon. In summer, most if not all resorts have a bus service, but in winter it is only the main towns - we did of course have a car when we lived there, and I hire one when I go back, but the bus is much easier as you don't have to find a parking place in summer and it is very cheap ! Even the timetables can be found online nowadays !

Let us know what you decide to do !

San
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by San » June 26th, 2015, 8:18 am

Elvira21
Just a quick note Barclays Bank (no longer) is now Caixa Bank - our bank in Menorca and the Barclays Branch in Mahon next to Bonnin Sanso has gone - had a letter from Caixa last week.
I have Barclays in England and it had nothing to do with the Barclays in Menorca which was a bit of a nuisance when we bought our Menorca property.
A West Riding of Yorkshire Lass at heart

oldseadog
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by oldseadog » June 26th, 2015, 10:31 pm

It is a lovely island to visit twice a year but to live there full time ????
where would we go for a holiday :lol:

OSD
Old Sea-dog.
Still looking for my next boat
looks like it may be a canal barge now ?

1994 - 1st time at Tony's Restaurant, just past the old Gavilanes.
Great food and views. especially at night.