Selling the house and kids and moving to Menorca

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Selling the house and kids and moving to Menorca

Post by kieronf » September 22nd, 2015, 5:31 pm

Well not really, our second daughter will be starting Uni in 2017 and my wife and I have decided to up-sticks and move to the island where we have enjoyed many family holidays and trips in the last 18 years or so.

Most of our trips have been to the Son Bou area, however, in terms of making a new life on the island we have decided on the Es Castel/Sant Luis/Trebaluger areas to be near the year-round ameneties but close enough for a quick drive to the beach.

We both start Spanish classes next week and hope to have a reasonable level of fluency by the time we arrive. We have visits planned for February next year and again in November to get5 a better 'feel' for the place out of season. Having said that, we live in bleak and windswept Devon and don't imagine that the Menorcan winters can be any worse!

I am sure we will have a thousand questions to ask along the way but would welcome any 'insider' views/hints/tips to help us on our way.

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Selling the house and kids and moving to Menorca

Post by Sunseaker » September 23rd, 2015, 4:10 pm

We hope everything goes smoothly for you when you go, you will need to get private medical Insurance when you arrive as it's not like it is here.
I only let him think he's in charge.

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 23rd, 2015, 4:55 pm

Am I correct in my understanding that the convenio especial has now been extended to Menorca - would this arrangement provide an adequate level of healthcare or would private health insurance be the better option....

ciaran
Bandwidth BlackHole
Bandwidth BlackHole

Post by ciaran » September 23rd, 2015, 6:47 pm

Hi Kieron, You have found a good site to help you with your proposed move, I know a lot of people say to rent before you buy, to make sure you've found the right area & made the right decision, as once you have sold up in the UK completely it's hard to come back, not sure what your plans are for income once you are in Menorca, as that is a key factor . If it all adds up you are making a good decision, :smile:
The next Moderator

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 23rd, 2015, 7:49 pm

Hi Ciaran,
We plan to arrive towards the end of Sept 17 and rent for 12 months to make absolutely sure the place is for us come rain and shine. Fortunately we have sufficient income not to have to work, so we will be in early retirement mode from the off with a focus more on the day to day leisure and cultural lifestyle issues, hence the decision to steer clear of the coastal resort areas and focus instead on Es Castel, Sant Luis and Trebaluger which appear to have 'life' throughout the year.

oldseadog
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by oldseadog » September 23rd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Love the island, since our 1st visit to Son Bou in 1984
and all the return visits, that we now do twice a year...to Cala Galdana.
Would we move there. no , where would we go for our holidays ??

OSD
Old Sea-dog.
Still looking for my next boat
looks like it may be a canal barge now ?

1994 - 1st time at Tony's Restaurant, just past the old Gavilanes.
Great food and views. especially at night.

RubiAnne
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by RubiAnne » September 24th, 2015, 3:18 pm

I think I would be looking at the areas you mention if we were moving there. Probably more going on throughout the year as you say.

Daydreaming about places we'd love to retire to;
I'm curious to know what are the winters ( weatherwise) like on the island?
Anyone who is living there can you tell us?

Talking to the locals last year they told us that the winds are very fierce. One lady told us to notice how many of the trees grow on a slant due to the severity of the winds.
A waitress we talked to who was from Barcelona but working on the island told us about the wind too.

This infamous wind and storms sounds a bit daunting! ?? :shock:

So wondering - if our daydream came true - would I choose somewhere a bit less windy!? ha. :???:

Any thoughts? :smile:

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » September 25th, 2015, 12:46 pm

I don't think you need to worry about the wind.
As far as I am concerned the Canary islands are awful in regards to the wind.
Check back on the weather forum I put the weather up most days.

If there is anything I can help with during move let me know :grin:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 25th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Many thanks for all of the helpful replies. The winter weather doesn't concern us in the slightest - we live on the Atlantic coast of Devon and the people walk at 45 degrees during the autumn and winter - never mind the trees. Even if the winters are windy to some - the quick turnaround to warm sunshine in the early spring has to be worth the trade-off. :grin:

JohnEmmaBurton
1 Star Supporter
1 Star Supporter

Post by JohnEmmaBurton » April 25th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Hi Kieron and all.

Just reading your post and the replies. I put up a request for help earlier as me and the Mrs are moving to Menorca in September this year and I was hoping to get some useful feedback.

Your situation sounds very similar to ours and I was wondering how you're getting on?

Any suggestions for us??

Cheers :grin: