5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Re: Selling the house and kids and moving to Menorca

Post by oldseadog » April 25th, 2016, 8:56 pm

and another post here....
Where do you then go for holidays ?
Old Sea-dog.
Still looking for my next boat
looks like it may be a canal barge now ?

1994 - 1st time at Tony's Restaurant, just past the old Gavilanes.
Great food and views. especially at night.

ladyrose

Post by ladyrose » April 26th, 2016, 8:46 am

I have been here 10 years and holidays no longer are on the agenda.
Just visiting family in Ireland.

Sue Adderley
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Sue Adderley » April 26th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Hi

We currently have a holiday home in Son Bou, but as retirement gets ever nearer, we too are looking at the possibility of moving to one of the residential towns, specifically Sant Lluis. We visit throughout the year (Christmas included), and San Lluis just seems to have some of the friendliest, most welcoming people we've met on the island.

In December we ended up in a bar we'd never visited before, which was pretty much full of blokes watching football. We sat amongst them enjoying a few tapas and beers, and they made us feel like part of the furniture. And to see an old English woman (probably in her 70s) standing at the slot machine alone, just enjoying a drink and having a laugh with the local barman, made us feel that it must be a pretty safe place to live.

I believe that Sant Lluis is popular with ex-pats, so there's probably a good mix of nationalities. There are certainly lots of bars/restaurants open all year, and I know they have a lot of sporting activities and music events on, so it's definitely a contender!

Sue :toasting:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » January 2nd, 2017, 3:04 pm

We suddenly find ourselves at the start of the year that we actually plan to move to the island. Not long ago it seemed a long way off, but not any more. We have been over last year and have seen a villa near Es Mercadal (not one of our original destinations I have to admit - but that is the beauty of getting over in person and exploring the towns and villages that are off the tourist track).

Once the flights become more regular we shall be going out again to arrange for a survey and if all goes well, we should be thinking of making the move either before or just after the Summer rush. We have opened an account with Sabadell (from the UK), we have our solicitor lined up, so from that angle we are making good progress. We have made the decision to shed as much of our UK furniture and possessions before we leave rather than ship it all down, plus it makes more sense to buy locally once we see what style suits our needs.

Our focus now is on the practicalities of our first few days - will the utilities be connected and ready to go or is that something we/our solicitor will have to organise ahead of time. Similarly, simple things such as getting a SIM for our unlocked UK mobiles, a broadband account etc etc - all essential in the modern world.

Advice on these and other points you might want to bring to our attention would be greatly appreciated in the same way that I would be very interested to hear of your own experiences having made the move and what you might do/not do given the benefit of experience and hindsight.

Many thanks

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » January 2nd, 2017, 4:40 pm

Have you thought about transport? If you plan to arrive during the summer months used cars are incredible hard to come by as all the seasonal workers will have bought them all. If your going over prior to your move it might be worth buying one and putting it into storage. Used car prices are very high on the island. I know a few folk that have bought in Barcelona and put it on the ferry as that is cheaper option.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » January 2nd, 2017, 5:50 pm

Having a daily driver is right up there at the top of the 'to do' list, particularly as we will be having to drive back and forth to buy all of the essentials. I have spoken to a couple of the rental companies about long term rental and also about the models they will be selling on at the end of next summer - another option we are considering is to buy a LHD car here and drive it to Barcelona crammed full with clothes/sentimental stuff, ferry it over, get it on local plates and run it into the ground until a local sales option becomes available.

We are just trying to imagine ourselves walking through the door of the new place and to try and iron out all the little things that can go wrong beforehand. So many times before we've heard tales of how people's immediate enjoyment of the move was dulled by a few trivial things going wrong.

missy82
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by missy82 » January 4th, 2017, 10:54 am

Great news I wish you all the best with your move! (I'm very envious indeed!) Our plan is to save up and move over by 2020 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » January 5th, 2017, 6:43 pm

:grin: We wish you all the best for your future in Menorca and hope all runs smoothly for you :toasting:
I only let him think he's in charge.